PDA

View Full Version : 350x carb problem

350xrider911
01-22-2008, 11:22 PM
i got the pilot screw set but when i got to rev it up it kinda dies then revs up abd bluish black smok comes out. but if i slowly give it gas it will rev and just a litle blueish smoke comes out.

TeamGeek6
01-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Smell the smoke, fuel or oil? 350X is a 4 stroke, you didnt put premix in the gas tank, did you? If not, and its not a fuel smell out the exhaust, then either piston rings or valve guides/seals are leaky. If its fuel smell, probably a leaky carb float needle

350xrider911
01-23-2008, 05:01 PM
thanks for the help i dint put premix it smeels like gas it dont smke at idle how much is a seal for the bowl

Erics350x
01-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Check the setting on the needle in the throttle slider, second notch from the top i think.

TeamGeek6
01-23-2008, 08:47 PM
NO! Dont start buying parts.

Its not that simple. It could be jetting, or fuel flooding, have to prove which one first. DONT waste weeks trying to change jets when the float needle is leaking. Then if the float isnt leaking, then work on jets.

Ive wasted SOOOOOOO much time on this only to find a bad float needle seat. Months. And on the 250R carb, the seat isnt replaceable. A leaky seat or needle can change the fuel level a tenth of an inch or more which screws jetting up big time.

Does the bowl(s) on the carbs have drain screws? Most of them do. Some have drain hoses off a small 'nipple' molded into the bottom of the bowl. Either raise that hose up alongside the carb bowl (or somehow make a hose fit on it) and open the fuel valve, let the carb bowl fill up. The fuel will also go up in the hose to the same level as inside the carb. The level in the hose should be below the top of the bowl. It might one time, then the next time it might flood.

Then if the fuel level is OK, change jets. NOT before.