PDA

View Full Version : Engine cases + screwdriver damage - Fix or not?

hadar
01-19-2008, 05:03 PM
I’m sure we’ve all seen it before. You pick up a bike or parts engine take it apart only to find the some backyard bucko has tried to split the cases using a screwdriver resulting in case damage. Can this unfortunate event in the engine’s history be fixed? What’s the best way? I got some t3 cases with slight screwdriver damage that I would still like to use if I could. The damage is minimal but still frustrating because apart from the jabs they would be good cases. Anybody got any suggestions?

RedRider_AK
01-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Maybe just use some emory cloth, smooth out the gouges, and then use some gasket sealer as well as the paper gasket? It worked for me on my YZ80.

hadar
01-19-2008, 06:47 PM
They just went hog nuts with the blue glue and it looked awful.(didn't even use yamabond in the middle.) I might try some of that quick steel gas tank patch stuff. Kinda like a mighty putty approach.:lol: It just sucks when you buy parts that have been treated so badly. 24 years old though so it could be worse I guess.

Billy Golightly
01-19-2008, 06:54 PM
the cases on my flat tracker were warped and not level from some weld repair in teh counter balancer area. I applied a thin coat of JB Weld to the area, and let it sit for a bout a week. Then I used a file, a peice of glass, and some sand paper to get it back surfaced. It took a few tries but I got it to hold crankcase pressure even without a gasket.

NINJA
01-19-2008, 06:54 PM
I ran into the same problem several years back and I know the steel epoxy will work if you clean everything well and take your time reshaping it. It has to be the kind that's more of a liquid than that stuff that you knead like playdough.

hadar
01-20-2008, 02:06 AM
I like the peice of glass idea. I know jb can be runny but the damage is not that bad. Gonna stay away from the putty. Thanks for the tips, Sounds like it's gona work out just fine.