PDA

View Full Version : 350x the way I like it, with a wide ass

Pages : [1] 2

The Goat
01-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Well as most of you are aware of, I took a trip down to see Syko last weekend and take that 350x off of his hands. A couple energy drinks, 1200 miles, and the purchase of a butt ton of penny rockets (there illegal in Louisiana) later, and I have it back in the shop.

So here is what I bought
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/roundheya/new%20pics%201/DSC00834.jpg

And ten minutes after I picked up the the bike I was on the phone ordering parts so they would be here ASAP. They didn't arrive on Monday like I wished, but they are here now.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/roundheya/new%20pics%201/DSC00835.jpg

Here is what it looks like now.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/roundheya/new%20pics%201/DSC00836.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/roundheya/new%20pics%201/DSC00838.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/roundheya/new%20pics%201/DSC00837.jpg

The bike won't be this complete again for at least a month or two. Probably going to go all out with this one.

Finally encountered a powdercoater who isn't crazy with his prices... so he will likely see the pegs, the bars, all engine pieces, the kicker, the swingarm, maybe the axle, the skid plate, and the motor mounts.
400ex carb whenever I find the missing piece
Ordered a brand new rear caliper (front caliper off the honda dirtbike).
Getting a 10.25:1 Wiseco
Sending Cam and rockers to MEGACYCLE, getting the stage two setup.
Ordering the Chromoly valve springs with the new valves from WEBCAM.

As long as I have the cases open, what in the bottom end should I take a look at? Seals, bearings, oil pump and so on? What are the issues with these bikes?

Going to look into a port and polish, but I don't know of anyone around here who does it. If anyone on the boards does, please let me know.

It has a stock 450r exhaust on it, I may purchase a new aftermarket exhaust for the 450r, but it depends, I don't want obnoxiously loud like my 200x.

Also, I was thinking of having my swinger done in white, as well as my bars. Looking for some lime green fork boots. When I'm done, it should look like a horrible cross between a Kawi and a Tiger in looks (I just want that clean uncluttered look)....which somehow ended up with a honda powerplant.

Lastly, I remember seeing a link posted by someone on here for discounted ASV levers...

Any opinions or suggestion welcome, I'm sure I'll be posting for help all too soon.

OEM FORK SEALS CAN BE FOUND ONLINE FOR CHEAP.

ALL OEM RUBBER CAN BE FOUND ON EBAY FOR CHEAP.

CHECK WWW.HYPERSPORTS.COM FOR HARD TO FIND PEICES.

CONTACT DADS ON THE BOARD FOR REALLY GOOD BEARINGS.

THE MOSHMAN'S ON THE BOARD CAN GET WHITE SHROUDS.

SYKO
01-15-2008, 11:59 PM
wow! new plastic set it off! just like I thought it would! should be a looker when its done!

Threes company
01-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Hey Goat..... I don't know squat about 350x's, can't help you there. Just wanted to say congrats, 1200 miles is a haul dude, I'm impressed! Looking forward to watching this project... have you thought of a number plate for the front? instead of going the headlight route? KXT style would be perfect with some lime green numbers. Good luck... enjoy the rockets, lol. :beer

scrawny
01-16-2008, 12:09 AM
looking good, nice interception!

as long as it shifts good, there isnt a whole lot that goes wrong in the bottom end.

maybe get a barnett clutch for it...

stealthduner
01-16-2008, 02:51 AM
Hey Goat,

I always use Honda Fork Seals. they cost a little more but my dads 250R has the originals in it still (86) and we have abused and abused that thing for all it's life

Looks good by the way

The Goat
01-16-2008, 03:57 AM
cool guys, thanks for the encouragement. as for the number plate instead of a light, eh, my 200x is too damned loud to ride at night. this 350x is surprisingly quiet, no matter what speed...so i'm gonna need that light for the night riding. I appreciate the idea though...lime green fork boots anyone?

damn, I was trying to avoid having to get them from the local place, most of the people there are ignorant asses. There are these two old women though who work in the parts department of one of the stores...I think they know more about parts than most of the people on here.

I'm gonna try to find a local shop who can do the valves for me, as I want them perfect, and nothing beats experience.

No one knows anyone who ports and polishes?

SWIGIN
01-16-2008, 05:06 AM
my buddy ports all my motors (he got his hands on a TC head to copy) but it might be cheaper to find someone local.

as far as the bottom end,check the crank real good and replace that 20+ year old oil pump

honda dont sell the 350x oil pump anymore and every used one i and my buddy had(10-12 pumps) all looked like hell inside.

what we found out is you can use a 300ex pump but you have to use the 350x grear or grind the main case for the 300ex gear to clear

Erics350x
01-16-2008, 09:38 AM
When you pull the head, check for cracks between the valves.

There's a machine shop called RPM at Ft. Walton Beach Fl that's been doin small engine performance work for along time.

Bryan Raffa
01-16-2008, 09:43 AM
green boots.........http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dirt-bike-Fork-Boots-Daystar-234-Series-Green-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35592QQihZ011QQitem Z320109175998QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638 Q2em118Q2el1247

thats cool it dont even look like you moved it from the first picture..lookin good

whats the matter.. just cant bring yourself to drill holes in that new front fender?:lol:

the great gazoo
01-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Hey Goat,

I always use Honda Fork Seals. they cost a little more but my dads 250R has the originals in it still (86) and we have abused and abused that thing for all it's life

Looks good by the way

I agree with stealth duner, Honda fork saels have never leaked on any of my machines! While you've got the forks apart, why not PC the bottom tubes white? I think it'd look pretty trick!

The Goat
01-16-2008, 11:54 AM
green boots.........[url]
whats the matter.. just cant bring yourself to drill holes in that new front fender?:lol:

is that what that ugly silver thing is for? To be honest I wasn't sure. lol. I just couldn't understand why you would need one.

Everything seems to be flowing along pretty well, basically watching my money fly out the door. Fort Walton is a little far, but eh, should only cost like 3 bucks to ship.

SYKO
01-16-2008, 12:05 PM
awww man....you dont like the fender brace??? poo on you homie!

scrawny
01-16-2008, 12:13 PM
so the valves still arent done?

what was up with the valves anyway? besides the guy that is only used to REed valves was working on it :p

SYKO
01-16-2008, 12:58 PM
yea the valves got adjusted correectly, the probem was with the factory settings the cam was so worn that it lost performance,

The Goat
01-16-2008, 01:54 PM
no the valves are cool, it's just that while it's open and off, I want to have it redone. I want a Built engine, but I want reliability. I don't want to have to get back into this engine any time in the forseeable future.

and syko, it's hondaline...not my thing, i prefer clean, uncluttered, nothing on the bike that isn't needed. besides...you forget one important thing.... I don't drive like you man, compared to how you can ride, this thing is gonna be babied, my fender will never go down that far. lol.

SYKO
01-16-2008, 02:02 PM
humpf! I dont ride crazy! lol..... I just like the way it looks as all, I didnt really care about it hold the fender from destruction, just being cool.

atctim
01-16-2008, 02:05 PM
I thought TRR bought that 350X - hmmmmm deal must have fell through.

Anyway - neat paint scheme - now you need some graphics to set it off - some thing green - like some Geckos - or maybe some Mountain Dew graphics!

SYKO
01-16-2008, 02:07 PM
hey goaty you going to use those stickers that came with it??? I still think that will look good!

The Goat
01-16-2008, 02:22 PM
yeah, I forgot to mention that, Syko hooked me up with some lime green 350x stickers, which I will be using, I'm going order a crapton of brand new bolts and screws. Syko, do you have the other half of that 400ex carb, there is a piece missing off of the side of it?

as for TRR, I was the original buyer, TRR stepped in, and I ended up being the final buyer.

oh yeah, what's people's opinion of Powroll vs Webcam? Webcam seems to be cheaper... but I can't find any prices, gonna have to call them.

SWIGIN
01-16-2008, 02:23 PM
megacyle cams are my choice

check out a megacycle cam #162-40

iv used and seen others use this cam in 5 different motors and its not a high rev topend only kind of cam.....nice down low and realy comes on strong in the mid range and levels off at a nice spot.

it a great cam for speed shifting

i wouldnt worry about the shortened guides.....if i run into clearence problems i use a cut off tool on the stock guides and debur

this cam also works great with a 10.25 piston

SYKO
01-16-2008, 02:24 PM
oh that side cover for the carb? nope never had it, dont really need it, but its nice if you do,

edog
01-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Powerroll...........

SWIGIN
01-16-2008, 02:32 PM
i highly doubt that powroll makes there own cams.... id bet they are a megacycle or web cam

SWIGIN
01-16-2008, 02:54 PM
another nice thing about megacyle (and maybe web but i dont know) is that for the ft500 head im useing om my 350x build i was worried about a 350x cam not being enough since my valves and ports are huge.

megacycle will grind xr500 specs on a 350x cam if you want to go real big....now this wont be needed for a stock ported head but its nice to know they will do that if need be.

im thinking #144-20 or #144-21 for my big head

The Goat
01-16-2008, 03:04 PM
I think the 162-40 might be a little too aggressive for what I'm looking for. However, I will be calling them later about the 162-30. I was looking at the complete powroll kit, but I just don't see there 430cc engine being worth a grand...at least not for what I'm going to be doing with this bike and my desire to run pump gas.

What's the verdict on a lightened flywheel?

SWIGIN
01-16-2008, 03:08 PM
even the 162-30 looks better then the powroll cam ....iv always bin very happy with megacycles cams

i never ran a lightened flywheel since im a big guy and my 350x motor have always bin in quad frames but in a trike id do it....id still like to try one in my rx

scrawny
01-16-2008, 04:57 PM
im pretty sure the powroll cam is a web.

i have the big dog web in mine that requires the shortened guides that absolutely flys!! a buddy has the last one before you have to shorten the guides, it rips pretty good too!

i wouldnt go too agressive with the cam unless you have the head done...no use having a cam that can flow what your head cant.

a lighter flywheel means a little less torque, the fly wheel has alot of stored energy in it, to lighten it would take away from that imo. when you drop the clutch, you want that energy.

The Goat
01-16-2008, 08:22 PM
well i called all three places...powroll, webcams, and megacycle.

the verdict is in...megacycle. everyone always talks about how friendly the powroll guys are, these dudes were assholes...royal assholes. maybe I caught them on a bad day, who knows. From there I went to webcam, I explained I was building for reliability with a little ummph...so what does the guy do? try to sell me a full race set up, says all of my choices were dumb basically, and ignores everything I try to say.

And lastly we have megacycles, got a guy on the phone and BSed with him for nearly an hour about the different lifts and options for the cam... he was able to talk about the cams I was interested in from memory and was able to provide me with a lot of info. I won't be going with the titanium set up for the springs, while lighter, apparently the chromoly is much more durable, and the difference in performance is negligible. Asked him about a regrind as opposed to a billet or needle bearing setup, and he explained that unless my cam was seriously bad off, and my head had issues as well, there was no reason to spend the extra 200 for that setup. After discussing the new billet as opposed to core, he was quick to point out that the stock will be cast iron, however, the lobes of each will be exactly the same material, once again, no real reason to spend the extra money...as long as where the cam rides is in decent condition.

His friendliness and knowledge may have just been his way of selling to me, but I must say if the work is half as good as the customer service, I'll be set for life.

Also, can anyone conjecture as to what sort of gains I will see with the mods I have listed. A stock 350x puts down 22hp to the wheels. I'll have a 400ex carb, midrange cam, 10.25:1 piston, port and polish, and exhaust. Ideas? Also, will I need a different spark plug for it? Cooler I mean?

scrawny
01-16-2008, 08:55 PM
you should be 25-28 i would think, more with head work. thats about what a stock 400 ex makes.

hrc200x
01-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Goat, did megacycle say how much it costs for the complete set up of the needle bearing cam?

The Goat
01-16-2008, 10:49 PM
yeah...i think it was 300...don't quote me on that, but it was a retardedly high number. wait...268 maybe. and machining of the head if you go with the oversized bearings i think?

honda250sx
01-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Goat thanks for the info on megacycles. Everyone always says. Im going to run a cam and high comp piston and blah blah blah, but never puts it in writing about there experiences with any companies. I doesnt sound like they wanted to sell you on all of there most expensive parts or machine work. Good deal and cant wait to see your motor report. I thought someone did a 430 powroll kit a bit ago back on there 350x. I would search the site for that.

hrc200x
01-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Sounds like they make a bearing to fit in the journals of a stock head, and they can also bore out the journals for a larger bearing?

SWIGIN
01-17-2008, 12:48 AM
stock 350x hp is 26. something you could get into the 30s

megacycle is the best to deal with......they live there jobs it seems. not just selling what they are told to.

SWIGIN
01-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Sounds like they make a bearing to fit in the journals of a stock head, and they can also bore out the journals for a larger bearing?

yes, if your journals are tore up they can save your head by boring the journals larger for bigger needle bearings....along with the stock size needle bearing cam

The Goat
01-23-2008, 02:07 PM
is there any particular year 400ex carb needed for the 350x?

oldskool83
01-23-2008, 02:13 PM
400ex's are all the same from 99-08 so year wouldnt be an issue i dont think

scrawny
01-23-2008, 02:47 PM
nope not an issue, newer is always better long run wise.

after only having my ex carb on my racing frame (that was modified for a bigger carb) i couldnt believe how tight of a fit it is in the stock frame. be prepared for some airbox snorkle mods :D

jason85atc250r
01-23-2008, 10:31 PM

get a 38mm aftermarket carb will run way better the 400ex ones are not muchh bigger then stock

scrawny
01-23-2008, 10:41 PM
a 400ex carb is a 38 with the advantage of an accelerator pump.:crazy:

jason85atc250r
01-23-2008, 10:44 PM
a 400ex carb is a 38 with the advantage of an accelerator pump.:crazy:

your mistaken they are only a 35 or 36 mm carb.

Black86tri-z
01-23-2008, 10:44 PM
05 and up are better,i forget y but all will do the same thing i think the newer 1's make it easyer to start

The Goat
01-25-2008, 01:29 PM
okay here is a question...400ex riders are upgrading their carbs to the newer 450r model. it's a 40mm. now my question is simple. if the 450r's carb is the better, why not purchase it instead?

has anyone done this mod?

SYKO
01-25-2008, 01:32 PM
yea I think some guy on org has done it, but you loose all the duct work for the air box as that carb is alot bigger then the 400ex carb even, you coming next weekend with your homie?

SWIGIN
01-25-2008, 01:32 PM
they are huge and if it fits my frame im going to run a 450 carb on my monster motor when its done.

the newer 450 carbs are 41mm but that might be the dirt bike carb

ether way i would not wast the time on a 400ex carb on this motor...you need at least a 38mm. i do know the early ( 04-05) 450r had 39mm carbs if that helps......after 05 honda jumped up to the 41mm or so

SWIGIN
01-25-2008, 02:14 PM
ok i just search 400ex carbs, and honda says its 35.5mm......and i thought a 350x carb was a 35mm

the only reason they might run better with a 400 carb is that it is a newer desighn and not all cloged up yet.

Dirtcrasher
01-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Can someone PLEASE tell us correctly where the carb is measured to determine the MM. Is it inside the inlet (where the air box feeds it) or the outside of the inlet? I'd imagine the ID is whats important....

The size of the 350X carbs has been questioned before. To my knowledge, both the 85 and 86 are the same size. I have them both and I can double check them again, but thats what I found and that was the ID of the inlet.

I'm gonna say that the 450R carb would be too much for the 350X. Maybe it could be jetted down but I'd think you want some serious mods before you plan on running it. What type of HP does a 450R motor make?? Most guys seem to be quite happy with the 400EX carb and no AB lid, Aftermarket exhaust, middle of the road high compression and some porting and polishing which none of us seem to know how to do it correctly by ourselves anyhow.... I'd think the 450R carb would be suited to a 430kit or the type of monster SWIGIN is making.

I'm interested in the 38MM carb Jason mentioned, just not sure what OEM model ran one that we could try.....

The Goat
01-25-2008, 10:48 PM
thanks guys, I'll see if i can get one measured sometime this coming week.

i will be heading down that way syko...though i have to be back here for 9 am sunday morning.

IT'S MARDI GRAS PEOPLE!!!!

in the words of a very great man "drink and be merry"

SWIGIN
01-26-2008, 01:15 AM
carbs are measured on the motor side of the slide....or in other words just on the outlet side

the inlet or venturie (spelling?) size means nothing

scrawny
01-26-2008, 01:25 AM
my stock 450R made 38 hp with the stock pea shooter exhaust. my big bore stroker 350x made 35 hp race ready on race gas.

depends on which year 450R carb you get too. the '04-'05s had a 42mm CV type carb, the '06 and up have a 39mm flat slide FCR carb.

the 400ex carb barley fits in the frame, there is no way the CV style carb would work without modding the frame i would think.

this is right from hondas website; specs about the 400ex:
ENGINE

Engine Type 397cc RFVC air-cooled dry-sump single-cylinder four-stroke

Bore and Stroke 85.0mm x 70.0mm

Carburetion 38mm piston-valve with accelerator pump

Ignition CD with electronic advance

Starter Electric

SWIGIN
01-26-2008, 01:32 AM
miss print....wait, whats a piston valve? what ever it is its 35.5mm http://www.pismoatvrentals.com/honda_400_ex.htm

it seems we are both right about the 400ex carbs acording to the 400ex guys on exriders....in 05 honda did change the carb but the body is the same size....they just measure it differently then the older carb....odd

in 05 and up honda used a non ajustable neddle

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=287977&highlight=stock+carb+size

The Goat
01-28-2008, 04:03 PM
okay, I can't believe I'm asking this question. How do you get the camshaft out? After unbolting the sprocket from the cam, and loosening the cam chain, the cam still cannot slide out like I imagine it should.

Is there some detail which I am missing?

Also, I'm looking for the plastic slide for a 400ex carb...does anyone have one?

Dirtcrasher
01-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Just pop it out of the journals. The oil helps it stick to the journals but it should pop right up with a carefully positioned pry bar....

The Goat
01-28-2008, 04:14 PM
that's the thing, the camshaft comes aloose, but I can't slide it out, it isn't stuck, by any means, both the sprocket and the camshaft can come aloose. but once loose, it can't slide out of the sprocket, part of the engine itself seems to be in the way. I must be doing something wrong.

I've only had time to look at it for a few minutes, I just want to have everything dismantled by tomorrow so I can bring it to be bored and ship off the cam and rocker arms.

Dirtcrasher
01-28-2008, 04:21 PM
It can't slide out, it has to pop up or the lobes and the head casting gets in the way.

The Goat
01-28-2008, 04:24 PM
so what you're saying is, the only way to get it out, is to pull the opposite end of the camshaft upward, essentially forcing it out?

I'm only asking for clarification because it simply seems like there would be a method that wouldn't put stress on anything.

Dirtcrasher
01-28-2008, 04:27 PM
OK, the rocker cover is off and the sprocket is removed with the chain draped to the side - correct??

You should be starring at a cam with 2 lobes and a rubber plug on the opposite end from the sprocket. It does spin freely also - yes?? Then I'd say the it is just the sealant on the rubber plug thats preventing it from popping up or the resistance from the oil between the cam journal and head bearing surface.

Make sense??

The Goat
01-28-2008, 04:29 PM
i can free the sprocket from the chain, but i can't remove it from that small area....

obviously if the sprocket wasn't there, i could remove the shaft quite easily.

Dirtcrasher
01-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Did you pull off the timing chain tensioner? That sprocket should just pop off also...
Now I'm confused....... LOL!!

The Goat
01-28-2008, 07:21 PM
okay i think i know what i'm doing wrong. on the 200x you simply take the bolt out, that allows the chain to be slack enough to handle everything. i just stupidly assumed that it would work the same way.

yeah, I'll take the tensioner off and all should be well.

scrawny
01-28-2008, 07:43 PM
take a very small regular screw driver, stick it in the hole of the bolt on the end of the cam chain tensioner that you took out. you should be able to back the tensioner off with that. have a helper hold the screwdriver while you take the cam chain off or lock it in place with a small vice grips.

edit:

after reading your post, do you have a web cam in it possibly? my 40b grind web is an absolute PAIN IN THE ASS to get in and out, must have something to do with the lobes being so big.

SWIGIN
01-28-2008, 08:42 PM
its not the size of the cam.....hell....the xr500 or ft500 head is the same as a 350x and they have HUGE cams avaliable

its just tricky and theres only one way to do it...youll get it

scrawny
01-28-2008, 08:55 PM
LOL wasnt sure, the big cam is all i have experience with.

i usually get pi$$ed, take a 5 min. brake, then WALAH!! slipps in like butter.

The Goat
01-29-2008, 05:25 PM
okay...the cam was an utter joke to take off once I realized I was an idiot.

Now I have a new issue, how to get the rockers out of the box? If they simply unscrew, I'm screwed, because they are in there TIGHT, it would definitely strip before it would come undone.

350xrider911
01-29-2008, 05:31 PM
there r dowl pin that hold them in. mine i just got some vice gripse and twisted them out, and then there a little shaft u might have to press on the other end to get them out. its pretty easy once u take a good look u might have to put new o-ring around the shaft, i had to

350xrider911
01-29-2008, 05:37 PM
here, is a diagram it might help. http://216.37.204.206/Mcmart/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=20&B=5

scrawny
01-29-2008, 08:05 PM
yea there are 2 little pins that hold the rocker shafts in.

im not sure if they will come out with just a vice grips. i had to grind a small slot in them then drive them out with a punch, then buy new ones.

350xrider911
01-29-2008, 09:43 PM
you try twisting them like a blot, my was vary easy to come out. but ive heard poeple say u have to destry them to get them out.

The Goat
01-29-2008, 11:45 PM
okay, well now i have a new problem. just took the head to be bored, and it turns out that it is already on it's last bore. i can have it resleeved, but that's 70 bucks for the sleeve and then the cost of resleeving. does anyone have an old jug laying around that has a few bores left on it. I really don't want to drop the money on the resleeving unless I move up to the 393 kit from powroll.

Please pm me if you have an extra jug, I'm not expecting a handout.

One question about the powroll kit, you can use the same base gasket, so the sleeve itself can't be that much bigger....where do you get an 86mm piston if you ever have to rebuild again?

The Goat
01-30-2008, 01:53 AM
come on man, someone has to have a jug, i'll buy it. do any other jugs fit on there? 400ex or anything?

SWIGIN
01-30-2008, 02:47 AM
just a tip for you....put your cyl in front of a bullit heater for 5 to 10 minuits and the old sleeve will fall right out if you drop it on the floor....lol

then freeze the new sleeve and heat the cly up again and it will drop right in

then all it will cost is the price of the sleeve and a bore

with any big bore other then a 89mm you need to mod your gaskets...this is why im going this way on mine...i can use off the shelf xr500 gaskets and pistons

The Goat
01-30-2008, 03:38 AM
okay...so the max piston size for a stock 350x is supposed to be 82mm. The cylinder jug that I have is at 83mm according to the shop. the odd part is, the walls don't look thin.....

If I have the jug resleeved, could I have it resleeved with the 400ex sleeve? it is 85mm stock with a max of 88.

what issues would I encounter? does the cylinder have to be machined to accept the larger sleeve? would the 400ex piston connect to my rod? are there differences in height? what am I not thinking of, as I'm rather ignorant concerning this aspect. I do know that with the 400ex bore of 85mm coupled with the 350x stroke of 68mm the end result would be a 385cc machine.

Please offer some opinions and thoughts here people, especially you swigin...you seem to be quite the guru concerning modifying the 350x. hopefully I'll wake up to some replies and good news...as opposed to the mainly bad news I've gotten today.

One last question...my goal is for reliability. But...what about the XR500 sleeving?

Yamada
01-30-2008, 10:28 AM
just a tip for you....put your cyl in front of a bullit heater for 5 to 10 minuits and the old sleeve will fall right out if you drop it on the floor....lol

then freeze the new sleeve and heat the cly up again and it will drop right in

then all it will cost is the price of the sleeve and a bore

with any big bore other then a 89mm you need to mod your gaskets...this is why im going this way on mine...i can use off the shelf xr500 gaskets and pistons

Very interesting SWIGIN, but what exactly is a bullit heater? Is it a heater that look like a fuel tank with a long horizontal tube on top of it. We have one and it burn diesel.

SWIGIN
01-30-2008, 11:02 AM
bullit, torpedo, salimander (sp?) its a kerosin heater with a highpowered fan

GOAT, look at my ascot thread in mad scientist.....you can see the xr500 sleeve swap and whats involved. (if it works a 400ex sleeve swap would be the same work)

the 400ex sleeve could be made to work but i never had a 400ex piston in my hand to compare to a 350x piston....so i dont know about that, but thats the same idea as me useing the xr500 parts.

off the shelf parts beat high dollar custom stuff sometimes

The Goat
02-28-2008, 04:01 AM
got a cylinder, tires, a ton of little nuts and bolts and things from honda, clutch lever (MSR), green fork boots, white shrouds, new sprockets, a green chain, green fuel lines, a brake caliper and some other stuff.

didn't get to send out my stuff to megacycle yet, I ordered a Cam on here from packhamstruckk like a month ago, and I'm still waiting, damned winter and canada. hopefully that comes in soon and I can send that off. My old cam and rockers has been siting in my living room for two weeks or so. also going to be getting a seat from the moshman's...provided I can scrounge up enough cash. I'm trying to get everything I need before I decide to start putting it together, but with my gas tank for my 200x with syko, I'm getting desperate to ride.

something else...um... ah thinking about ordering a street bike front master cylinder, they have some cool looking ones, and my 200x could deal with the one off of the 350x.

syko, if you do my tank, i'll send you some tires that you really really want tomorrow! TRAIL PROS!!!! i might even include the ones off the X too. lol.

SYKO
02-28-2008, 10:02 AM
yay! trailpros!! will that make me a pro on the tail? so that would make me having what?........10 sets of those basdurds? lol......I know someone close by who has more and his name starts with a "bil" and ends with a "ly" lmfao!

The Goat
02-28-2008, 03:16 PM
ha, in all serious though, i should be sending out those tires to ya pretty soon, i'm taking mine off today.

The Goat
03-28-2008, 03:17 AM
this project is officially back on track. got a little derailed due to monetary issues, but in the next few days I'll be placing parts orders with megacycle, powroll, and cosmic quads.

so the X will ride again.

anyone know where I can get barnett springs for this thing? I hear that honda fibers are the best...but the barnett springs are the way to go.

scrawny
03-28-2008, 12:09 PM
i think i have some that are slightly used...

The Goat
04-18-2008, 03:13 PM
I have a quick question, is there a trick to installing new valve seals? I'm changing them with the new valves, there was a slight oil leak through them.

I'm just curious if there is a certain way to make them seat perfectly and not leak?

SWIGIN
04-18-2008, 03:16 PM
i just put a drop of oil in them and on the guide and push them right on with my thumb

i wouldnt do it dry

as far as them being seated....they just kinda snap in place and the tention of the metal clip thing holds them on

Dirtcrasher
04-18-2008, 03:34 PM
I too just use a dab of oil or grease and pop them on with my thumb and forefinger...

The Goat
04-29-2008, 05:55 PM
all my stuff is finally in and ready.

megacycle for the cam, springs and rockers, local shop for the boring and wiseco piston.

gonna head over there tomorrow and have my valves lapped in and seals and springs installed. 80$ sound about right?

should have it together tomorrow night, gonna strip it down and paint....

like always I'm missing one key component, when i had a running 200x, i gave my tank to syko to paint, now i'm gonna hve a running 350x and Tammy has my seat. lol. I never seem to plan ahead.

DeePa
04-29-2008, 05:57 PM
just take the rear fenders off and sit on teh airbox while you break it in

Dirtcrasher
04-30-2008, 05:49 PM
80$ is short money for lapping valves and installing the springs. They charged me 150$ to clean it up and put the valve seals in, no lapping or bead blasting etc etc....

The Goat
04-30-2008, 07:14 PM
thanks dirty, but i didn't feel like waiting to assemble, so i'm doing them myself tonight.

engine should be ready for paint tomorrow. pics coming soon.

Erics350x
04-30-2008, 09:49 PM
You can lap the valves yourself in a few minutes and installing the springs is easy. just pick up a valve lapping tool and compond from autozone for like $10 and rent the spring compressor

The Goat
05-01-2008, 12:40 AM
well i bought all that, I do have one question though, I'm nearly positive that my valve guides are out of spec..since the 350x does run them really tight stock.

My question is, if I put it back together without having new guides put in, but I do have new seals...will I have any problems. or will it run fine? I'd rather not have this top end/motor prematurely crap out on me because I half assed something.

Erics350x
05-01-2008, 08:30 AM
How much outta spec are we talkin? Alittle wear wont hurt, hell its a Honda, they will dang near run without a engine. lol

Dirtcrasher
05-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Considering you did all the other work and spent all that $$, I'd replace them if they have play. Seals just seal, they don't take up bearing play and you can consider the valve guide the bearing for the valve.

Those guides are cast and a pain in the butt to replace. Your gonna have to make up a tool or buy it or get real creative removing and installing them.

I'm sure someone will say "it's easy" but I have dicked with them enough that I know how to deal with them now....

The Goat
05-22-2008, 01:13 AM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/greenatc2.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/greenatc1.jpg

thought I might post a pic of mrs. moshman's amazing work.

TwoHundredEx
05-22-2008, 02:20 AM
Nice looking seat.

SYKO
05-22-2008, 09:06 AM
dude...thats tight!

johnny's X
05-22-2008, 10:00 AM
There are just about twins of that trike. A budy of mine went with the same green frame and white plastic. I think I have a pick. Nope but if you look at the majestic pictures thread you will seen him there. I think Raffa took the pics.

honda250sx
05-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Goat man lookin killa' Can't wait to see it on the trike bro. Keep up the good work man!

The Goat
05-27-2008, 10:58 PM
got a quick question people, concerning the installation of the kicker assembly...namely...how do I do it lol.

I'm looking at the decompression assembly, and i can't figure out for the life of me how it works. moreover...when I try to rotate the kicker shaft...the valve springs are soo damned hard, i can't do it by hand.

SWIGIN
05-28-2008, 01:35 AM
you just have to line up the little do on the decomp cam to the one on the shaft

The Goat
05-28-2008, 01:55 AM
but that is it? the manual says something about the spring hook return...something which I don't see at all... where do the two washers go on the shaft in relation to the spring position and so on?

also...should i be able to turn the engine over by hand with the spark plug out? or will the R&D springs stop all hope of that>

SWIGIN
05-28-2008, 02:46 PM
the return spring is behind the big kicker gear so unless you had the shaft out thats not an problem

the washer that has a lip around it goes on the shaft first then the coil spring then the decomp cam.......im not remebering a second washer

edit.... i looked on bike bandit and it does show a thin thrust washer going on after the decomp cam

look on bike bandit for how it all goes

the motor will be hard to turn over espescialy if your chasing it around on a work bench....but it should turn over

The Goat
06-05-2008, 12:55 AM
okay, got everything all put together, and now I have a question about seting the valves.

at which part of engine rotation should I set the valves. for example, the intake side calls for a min play of .004 and exhaust .006, with my specs. but where do I set it to these specs? when the springs are down, when the springs are up, when both rocker arms can move slightly? what?

as of right now, when you get it started, it revs up really really really really really really slowly...and smokes a ton for some reason, i'm hoping that is residual oil in the pipe, or it is burning off the assembly grease.

SWIGIN
06-05-2008, 12:59 AM
as a rule all 4 strokes get the valves set on the compression stroke witch is both springs up and the piston at tdc

you might want to recheck you timing marks

Erics350x
06-05-2008, 07:18 AM
okay, got everything all put together, and now I have a question about seting the valves.

at which part of engine rotation should I set the valves. for example, the intake side calls for a min play of .004 and exhaust .006, with my specs. but where do I set it to these specs? when the springs are down, when the springs are up, when both rocker arms can move slightly? what?

as of right now, when you get it started, it revs up really really really really really really slowly...and smokes a ton for some reason, i'm hoping that is residual oil in the pipe, or it is burning off the assembly grease.

Tell me you didn't use assembly lube on the piston, rings, or cylinder?
The easiest way to adjust the valves is to turn the engine over untill the lobes are facing down on the cam

Bryan Raffa
06-05-2008, 07:48 AM
I hope you didnt forget the O ring for the oil passage when you had the cover off...can you say BOOM!

The Goat
06-05-2008, 09:40 AM
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/honda-atv-atc350x-1986-cylinder-head/o/m1917sch18795

part 30? where is that? cause just cause you said that, I'm definitely gonna be double checking. lol.

parts 24,25,26,27 are all in position correctly
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/honda-atv-atc350x-1986-right-crankcase-cover/o/m1917sch20289

I see no other orings on anything I touched....

SWIGIN
06-05-2008, 11:46 AM
looks like a o ring that goes under the guide

any luck?....whats going on?

i hope you didnt ''grease'' your piston ether

The Goat
06-06-2008, 03:58 AM
i didn't get to play with it today, it was too damned hot out there, upper 90s is bs if you ask me. good for riding, shite for wrenching...so

can't do it tomorrow either as kung fu panda comes out, and I'll be spending the majority of the day 40 miles from the house, saturday one of my boys is having his third matchup in amateur class mma, and the ufc fights will be on around two, so it's looking like sunday. sunday will be do or die time. hopefully someone can post about what oil passage oring was being talked about.

SWIGIN
06-06-2008, 04:03 AM
im thinking he ment the oring under the clutch cover ......thats the only only one coming to mind

The Goat
06-06-2008, 04:10 AM
thanks swigin, one real reason for not wrenching today was even if i got the timing right, I would be worried i'd fry something due to lack of oil.

hows that 500 head treating ya?

SWIGIN
06-06-2008, 05:07 AM
my monster motor is all together but it's empty .....as in no parts

but all the machine work is done and it all works together.

ship your motor to PA and i'll get her going ....lol

The Goat
06-06-2008, 04:47 PM
swigin you don't know how tempting that is, I've got so many stripped bolts, and bolts that are wrong, you'd prolly send the thing back as soon as you started wrenching on it. If I can ever get my hands on a NOS bottom end though, I will be having someone with a ton of experience swap a good top end onto it, and redo the clutch.

this thing is the devil....the downright devil. I miss the ease of the 1st gen 200x.

SWIGIN
06-07-2008, 12:26 AM
just remeber that heli coils are your freind

The Goat
06-09-2008, 07:08 PM
guys I have a question about the tuning of the 400ex carb.

as of right now, i have the 10.25:1 piston with a highlift cam and stronger springs...where the hell do I start.

the stock 350x carb, is not enough carb, at all.

I want a 450r carb, but I don't have the cash for it currently...so that leaves me with the 400ex carb.

can someone give me an aproximate jetting to start, and by someone I mean swigin. lol.

also, if anyone would like to trade a 450r carb for a 350x and a 400ex carb, let me know. I'll throw in some cash. and both are in working order.

The Goat
06-19-2008, 10:30 PM
bump bump, read the post above this one.

Dirtcrasher
06-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Get off your wallet and get an FCR carb, lol...........

EDIT - if those are the only mods I think a properly jetted 400EX carb would be just fine. I'd buy a few larger than stock jets and have at it.

It's not crazy compression, it's not a stroker, it hasn't been ported or polished and whats the exhaust? Guess I should read the whole thread.............

The Goat
06-19-2008, 10:46 PM
that's cold. lol. 200 bucks is a lot of money when you're unemployed. if I don't get an answer in a week, that will likely be my course...

a little polishing done by me, mainly I just cleaned it up a little bit, but it's smoother than a baby's bottom, new valves, and a 450r exhaust.

SWIGIN
06-19-2008, 10:46 PM
well....you couldnt pay me to run a 400ex carb, so i dont know

i got my 38mm round slide new off ebay for like $40

my next carb (for the monster motor) will be a bored out fcr carb

as far as fitment goes i dont know if a fcr will fit a trike frame but the round slide will

The Goat
06-19-2008, 11:00 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PWK-38MM-Air-Striker-carb-250r-lt250-cr250-rm250-lt500_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43979QQihZ014QQit emZ330245754819QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

can anyone explain why i can't use this carb?

swigin if you're interested in getting rid of that carb when the time comes, let me know. so i'm looking for a 38mm round slide...keihin of course?

SWIGIN
06-20-2008, 12:01 AM
yup......always keihin

thats jeted for a 2 stroke ....way different then 4 stroke jeting

you would have to start from scratch with that one

pe38 is what i like

Erics350x
06-20-2008, 12:03 AM
thats the one you want. wanna sell that 400ex carb or the side cover off of it?

The Goat
06-20-2008, 12:28 AM
but we are clear that I could simply change out the pilot to a 45 or so, slap a 148 mainjet or so in it, and all would be well?

SWIGIN
06-20-2008, 05:54 PM
yeah

it all depends on the needle witch should be way off for your 4 stroke....but who knows

i would have to find my list to see what needle im running but a 50 or so pilot and a 160 main it was i run

The Goat
07-12-2008, 03:55 AM
well...guess who just scored a 450r carb for 60 bucks...isn't that a daisy.

haven't gotten it in yet, but any idea on the jetting to start people.

I must have an intake leak right now, something is up...with the stock carb on there, once pull started, it runs lean lean lean lean lean, takes about 15 seconds to rev out free reving...only did it once, so I'm hoping that was it. We just retimed it two days ago, my marks on my flywheel are basically non existent, so it was off a bit, filed a new mark where the T is, and retimed...but it didn't fix the problem. cam lobes down right, at top dead center?

is there a chance that I overlapped my intake valves, and that is what is causing it? or is the stock 42 pilot and needle just incapable of supplying enough fuel? it's just an exhaust, high comp piston, high lift cam, and springs, so that doesn't seem possible to me. I know how to check for an intake leak, I just didn't think of it when I was out there the other day.

I may have used a quarter of a gram of lapping compound total, on all four valves, and used the powerdrill trick for possibly a max of 30 seconds in either direction at very slow speed, so I wouldn't suspect that, plus, I noticed no significant wear on the valves after lapping, and looking at the edges, they seemed to have a good seal. must be an intake leak right?

also...will the 450r carb fit into the intake of the 350x, I'm not worried about snorkle or airbox mods...just if it will fit into the existing rubber intake into the engine?

SWIGIN
07-12-2008, 04:47 AM
i highly doubt it will fit the stock intake, you might have to make a intake like i did.

i wouldnt worry about the stock carb. throw the 4fiddy carb on and see how it runs.....and no......over laped valve wont make it run lean

a intake leak is easy to test.......just spray carb cleaner arounf the intake wile its running.if it revs up you got a leak.

just make sure the spray dont go into the air filter since that might make it rev

The Goat
07-12-2008, 12:31 PM
I imagine you went with stainless and rubber?

SWIGIN
07-12-2008, 02:41 PM
the what with the who now?

The Goat
07-12-2008, 03:47 PM
on the carb mount, did you make an entirely new plate with a rubber boot attached...or no? or did you just use a reducer to hook the carb to the old intake?

Erics350x
07-12-2008, 09:29 PM
i was just looking at the first page and if you redone all the black parts in silver it would really set it off and maybe a # plate up front

SWIGIN
07-13-2008, 03:41 AM
i thought i posted pics of my intake on here....try searching my name and threads i started

i machined one out of aluminum and use a short hose clamped to it and the carb

the stock intake is like 34-35mm at the port or head side so i made my intake 38mm since thats how big my carb is.....it was easyer then it sounds to make

The Goat
07-13-2008, 10:25 PM
wanna make one for some cash...I have no way to machine anything...except perhaps a drill press...and that would be a downright pain.

SWIGIN
07-14-2008, 07:02 AM
if i had a trike with a 450r carb i might think about it but i dont so i wouldnt know what to make.

i made my intake with a little more drop and angled it to the left to clear my rear shock.....i have no iead what you would need

Hoosier_Daddy
07-14-2008, 10:31 AM
if i had a trike with a 450r carb i might think about it but i dont so i wouldnt know what to make.

i made my intake with a little more drop and angled it to the left to clear my rear shock.....i have no iead what you would need
If you ever do decide to give it a shot, i'd be interested in one for a 1985 Tecate, stock.

SWIGIN
07-14-2008, 12:27 PM
no 2 stokes

The Goat
07-18-2008, 12:06 AM
so a 50 pilot...do I need a different needle...and around a 150 main I imagine...it actually doesn't fit TOO tight...you just have to bolt the intake to the carb, before you bolt the intake to the engine.

also what do I do with the hot start, and what are the electrics coming off of this carb?

with a little work, I think I should be able to use the stock airbox with the exception of the stock snorkle system.

350Xhilaration
07-18-2008, 08:37 AM
There is a thread on 3WO by NOS_350X of his experiences with different carbs for the 350X you may want to glance at regarding the 450R carb.

http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?t=29721

I missed this entire thread somehow till now. Looks better green/white than green/red/white for sure.

Good luck getting it finished up and running right!!

SWIGIN
07-18-2008, 04:37 PM
you can use the hot start if you want or just ditch it

you can also ditch all the wires or take off what they go to and make a block off

pics?

The Goat
07-18-2008, 08:52 PM
no way to take pics, lost the wire to hook my phone to the comp...

hmm...i'm gonna hook it all up and see what she does with simply a pod filter

it's a tight fit, but it doesn't look THAT damned tight...all else fails I'm sure I can sell this 450r carb for more than I paid for it.

SWIGIN
07-19-2008, 09:38 AM
so a 50 pilot...do I need a different needle...and around a 150 main I imagine...it actually doesn't fit TOO tight...you just have to bolt the intake to the carb, before you bolt the intake to the engine.

also what do I do with the hot start, and what are the electrics coming off of this carb?

with a little work, I think I should be able to use the stock airbox with the exception of the stock snorkle system.

just throw the carb on how it is stock

the 50 pilot and stuff was for a PE 38mm.........you have a different animal there

The Goat
07-20-2008, 10:48 PM
well...time to dispel a myth or two.

one...the carb can fit in the stock boot (after two hours with a heat gun, a diet coke bottle to stretch it, two tire irons...some vaseline...and a whole lot of patience)

two...the carb can fit with the stock gas tank... maybe mine is missing a piece or something, but it fits on there just find.

three... the jetting on this carb was 50/182. and after three kicks she fired right up.

four... a 350x with the decomp lever connected right...really is the easiest thing in the world to kick off. I can do it in sandles.... just roll it over to top dead center... and a hearty 3 inch stab on the kickstart gets you going.

the only problem now is that changing jets out is going to take an act of god... and it's not revving right. first quarter of the throttle is really torquey...but then it just falls on its face.

can anyone tell me what the electronics on the carb actually do...i just get the sneaking suspicion it's what's screwing me.

SWIGIN
07-20-2008, 11:12 PM
they do nothing in your case

they are idiot switchs.....like it will kill the motor if it gets stuck wide open....stuff like that

i know a bunch of guys that run those carbs on hybrid quads and they all tell me to just cut the wires or make block off plates.

if you cant tell if its rich or lean just mess with the jets one way or the other and see if it gets worse or better.

oh....and i agree with the whole ''they are easy to start with the decomp'' statement....... my 110 pound daughter can fire my 350rx right up no problem

The Goat
07-20-2008, 11:29 PM
well before you posted that, i've been doing a lot of reading on the carbs....those wires really are just crap.

I'm going to assume it's rich as all hell... tuning tomorrow maybe.

people on the 400ex forums are running 45 pilots...air fuel 2 turns out. I have no idea what my airfuel is set at right now. but that 50 pilot seems perfect, it starts like a dream, and has a ton of torque for the beginning of the throttle.... then it takes 20 seconds to rev out first.

I'll have to play tomorrow I suppose.

SWIGIN
07-21-2008, 12:22 AM
so at least it sound like the air screw and pilot are pretty darn close then

i guess those carbs have ajustable needles...if so drop it to lean it out some and try a leaner main.

if it runs worse you know to go richer

one more thing a 400ex and a built 350x is like aples and oranges.........you cant go by that

The Goat
07-21-2008, 09:42 AM
hell i know you can't compare two of the same bike, much less two different ones...just seems like these guys with 440 kits are running very lean jetting.

SWIGIN
07-21-2008, 11:31 AM
it all depends on the needle as to what main you end up with

my 350 and my buddys were built the same....right down to every last part.

the only difference was he had a thicker needle then i did (same carb) and he needed a 220 main and i ran fine at 160

thinner needle lets more fuel get by the main jet...........the needle does more then most guys think

Jason Hall
07-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Have you tried adjusting the accelerator pump. I had to give my 350x a big shot early with a 400ex carb. The accelerator pump will affect just off Idle & the transition to mid range Drastically.

The Goat
07-21-2008, 02:37 PM
i honestly have no idea how to adjust the accelerator pump. hell, i didn't even know this carb HAD an accelerator pump. lol. i feel so .....jamesish.

so what should I be adjusting now?

as of right now....to start from first, you give it about an 1/8 of an inch of throttle, and you'll take off just fine. from there you have about a 1/4 of an inch of power, you can spin it around...swing the ass end out...but after that....bog and massive heat coming off the pipe. only rode it for a minute or so, i'm thinking incredibly rich. I'm gonna go lean it all the way up in an hour, and go from that 182 main back down to a 150-160...then go from there.

so about this accelerator pump?

Dirtcrasher
07-21-2008, 02:46 PM
I can't imagine it being lean but a hotter than hell headpipe is almost always an indicator of a lean condition. Whats the plug say? I'd expect it to all be a rich condition :wondering:

You might go out of your mind trying to tune this carb on that motor with all the fresh mods. I know some guys don't have much good to say about the 400EX carb but it definitely gave me gains with the 450R can and lightened flywheel....

Anyone else running a 450R that can give you a ballpark - YES I know every motor is different but just like my 200X build, I have no ball park with the AM 29MM carburetor..........

The Goat
07-21-2008, 02:55 PM
well...i think soooo much fuel is getting into it, that vapors are igniting inside the headpipe...

same principle as guys who want to spit flames out the back of their car and do it the old school way....just run their car a little rich.

i feel you dirt, my initial jetting for my 200x had a 125 main...unheard of for a 24mm...and you know what...it still wasn't enough.

actually, i mean, i know the 86 and 85 200x's are lightyears apart, but i'm running a 30mm on mine at 138 main...needs a little tweaking but that's it now.

Jason Hall
07-21-2008, 03:17 PM
I would put the 150 main or close to that back In. A 185 Is what my buddy runs In his 450 with a cam, and exhaust pipe, no air box cover. I run a 175 In my CRF450. I think your problem Is the accelerator pump not giving you a shot before the slide & throttle flap open, then your killin It with the 180 main LOL. Is there black smoke flowing out the exhaust when It bogs. That will tell you right away If you are rich. The Accelerator pump Is there to give the engine a quick shot of raw fuel just as the throttle slide opens, because there Is a delay before the main starts feeding fuel. The accelerator pump Is adjusted under the black plastic cover on the right side of the carb. Look for a steel rod that leads down to the bowl. On the 400ex carb I had, I had to slightly bend the arm so the pump would pump earlier. I have found that an engine that did'nt origionaly come with a acc pump needs a big shot when a modern carb Is added. Do you still have an airbox cover on? If so, I would take the top off and try a 150-160 main. I think I had a 155 In my 350x with a 400ex carb, with no aibox cover. The FCR Is the best carb In my opinion. They are pricy, but are VERY adjustable and work SWEET. I have a nx 250 with a 37mm FCR from a RMZ250, and that Is one awesome carb.

Oh yeah, you might want to try a fresh plug also after dropping the main.

The Goat
07-21-2008, 03:24 PM
airbox cover is off...so screw in to give more fuel...or loosen.

i'm waiting until it cools a bit before i go out there. 100 degrees 100% humidity and the heat index is over 110....screw that.

Jason Hall
07-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Give me your phone # and I'll help you straighten It out that way. It's a pain to type all this ha ha. You want to try to take some of the slack out of the acc pump linkage. I would have to say you want to turn the screw In to take the slack out. First drop the main jet down.

The Goat
07-21-2008, 03:39 PM
jason...bad news, i live in the middle of *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**E dited* nowhere... i couldn't get cell service if my life depended on it. and that's my only phone. how about I bring you the bike in the back of my car, and you tune it. lol

Jason Hall
07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Man I wish I could meet ya half way LOL. Well just keep on trying & don't get bummed. It's just a carb, even though I know you would love to HAMMER IT flat with a big sledge. I would suggest you watch the exhaust after every change. If you get a chug of black smoke when you first throttle Into It, that means to much fuel. If It hesitates or pops back through the carb that Is lean. Is there any chance It Is sucking air (vacume leak).

The Goat
07-21-2008, 03:48 PM
well to be honest...putting it on was a helluva lot harder than jetting it will be.

there is zero chance of an intake leak now...i changed out the oring...and used a high temp fuel resistant sealer.

it's rich...it has to be. it feels like it's burning through the extra fuel when it's reving up...slowly but surely. no detonation or anything, just a slow slow rev.

SWIGIN
07-21-2008, 07:26 PM
whats the plug look like?

The Goat
08-22-2008, 07:15 AM
plug was misleaded...sold the carb.

now the guy i sold it to is saying that something butterfly is not allowing the carb o run correctly. worse, I checked it before I shipped it and everything seemed fine to me. A problem would explain why it wasn't working right for me.

idk...got a new carb in the back of the scion...soon as I get a day off from work, I'll fool with it.

can anyone throw out an approximate jetting with a 37mm fcr?

The Goat
08-24-2008, 03:57 AM
can anyone explain what all the jets in the 37mm fcr do.

I mean obviously there is a main jet, and a pilot....but there is also a 68 jet in there...that seems to the mikuni style. then there is also some other sort of jet in the intake of the carb coming from the airbox.

the problem is...since I don't know what they do...I don't know how to adjust them.

also...there is an issue of the cable for the carb not fitting the throttle. now I'm either going to buy a throttle for the crf250r or a motion pro twisty...which would work better and last longer? also, how exactly do they install?

SWIGIN
08-24-2008, 09:24 AM
ok, first off the tube going to the intake side of the carb should be the hot start...its not a jet.

think of it as the opposit of a choke....when hot and if its hard to start you hit the hot start like a choke knob and it sends fresh air to the cly.

the 68 jet sounds to me like a pilot....thats the only thing i can think of that would be about that size.

if you didnt get the quad carb you would need to modify the cable to work with a thumb or swap to the quad carb linkage/cable brackets....or go to the dark side and get a twist.

The Goat
08-24-2008, 12:38 PM
thanks for solving the mystery of the hotstart...but well the thing is the pilot jet is the 42....i know that...it looks just like a normal pilot jet.

but there is another jet in there, that looks just like a mikuni main jet...it's a 68.

to be honest, I want to get a twisty...I'm just unsure if I should buy the throttle from the bike the carb came off of, or buy a motion pro.

I'm also unsure as to how they install. do you cut your bars...or what?

SWIGIN
08-24-2008, 01:48 PM
no man, a twist throtle just slides on your bars...simple

The Goat
09-15-2008, 08:15 PM
well, bought a brand new 450 twisty and slapped it on there...had issues with the shortness of the carb, got a little bored this evening, stuck a peace of rad hose with a filter on the end and started the beast up.

42 pilot, needle in the middle, 168 main. she's lean in the middle, rich on the top.

but even still....she runs like a raped ape.

Idk what you other guys are running for gearing...but at 14/42 on 20s it lifts the front going into 1-4, you honestly can't stay on it without leaning very far forward.

I'll prolly be going to 14/35.

everything seems to be all set, and I know I'm getting oil to the top end, as I have quite the leak coming from a rocker cover.

but yes indeed she takes off.

all I need now is a lightened flywheel, some helicoils, a longer swinger, a ten inch front rim, new front tire, skid plates, and a ton of powder.

also, this twisty is going to take a lot of getting used to. Idk if t is because I'm using a 450r twisty and a 250r carb, but it doesn't release the carb as quickly as I would like.

kicking it over is easy...roll it to top dead center, stand on the kicker, and jump.

The Goat
10-10-2008, 04:30 PM
bump bump...

to get the flywheel off of the 350x...is it the same puller that is used for the 200x or atc70? If I remember right the puller for the 70 was larger...

Dirtcrasher
10-10-2008, 04:48 PM
It's the one thats just a simple bolt, not the one that threads into the flywheel and then a smaller bolt drives it out. Thats the 250R type and even the ATC70 has that type....

Sometimes the front axle or rear axle hub threads are the same size and pitch and can be used in a pinch. I find Toyota suspension bolts work great as cheap pullers, or pushers you might say :D

The Goat
10-10-2008, 05:46 PM
so it's the same as the original 200x?

SWIGIN
10-10-2008, 08:12 PM
no....200x's were 14mm

350x is something like 19mm, same idea but its larger

The Goat
10-11-2008, 06:12 PM
damnit, now I have to order that too...everytime I try to use the front axle, I have issues with it stripping the first few threads.

The Goat
11-03-2008, 11:12 PM
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/Alba/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=31&B=9

which parts do I need for a simple clutch rebuild....don't wanna waste money buying extra stuff.

SWIGIN
11-03-2008, 11:59 PM
fibers and HD springs

The Goat
11-04-2008, 12:08 AM
I know I need fibers, I'm just not sure which of those parts constitutes the fibers. VESRAH springs were like 85 pounds apiece when you measured them right?

SWIGIN
11-04-2008, 09:04 AM
vesrahs and barnetts were 75#.....12 year old barnetts were still at 73#

your link dont work for me but the fibers have ears on them

edit....i got it to work....if you look close you can see that #5 has fiber pads on some of the discs.....all fiber clutch plates have ears on the out side....now you know

Dirtcrasher
11-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Goat, Thumpertalk gave me a real nice deal on a Barnett kit for the 350 and the 200X. Of course I'm a huge supporter of OEM Honda also but figured I'd throw it out there for you.....

I always do the steels too if it was a stock 23YO clutch. It may not be necessary but for the 6$ a piece they cost, I don't mind paying 25 or 30$ to change them........ Now that I've changed them, next time I'll just change the springs and fibers.

The Goat
11-26-2008, 11:31 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/roundheya/350x/IMG_0060.jpg

here's a pic of something that few people on here have ever seen...

now guess why is this so different?

andnuaa
11-26-2008, 11:40 PM
I know I know :lol:

The Goat
11-26-2008, 11:42 PM
shhhhhh....don't tell

The Goat
11-27-2008, 12:03 AM
nope...its something that prolly only 5-10 members on here have seen...and then only if they are crazy or lucky. it's nothing mechanically different...just something aesthetic

The Goat
11-27-2008, 12:31 AM
...you're closer than you could ever imagine.

Itrike
11-27-2008, 01:25 AM
I'd guess a new head??? (saw some chalk ?) looks good!

Itrike
11-27-2008, 01:26 AM
Or is it a crate motor??

The Goat
11-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Well sir yes, it's the inside of a new Honda engine. That's why only a fool has seen it, cause to be honest, why take apart a new engine?

Yamada
11-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Because you will not keep it stock????

The Goat
12-14-2008, 05:57 AM
I'm looking for a set of nearly straight protaper bars that will fit on an atv/atc.

A very slight rise...with an even slighter bend. Schmee has them on his 300r...and the damned things perfect.

might be dirtbike bars...anyone know of any straight ones?

SWIGIN
01-08-2009, 03:14 AM
mine are as close to straight as they come and i believe they are universal low

The Goat
01-08-2009, 10:28 PM
thanks swigin.

How about where can I buy progressive springs for the front?

also

I just need the barnett clutch springs...not the entire kit. I can't find a place to purchase.

Dirtcrasher
01-09-2009, 07:31 PM
I got my Barnett springs at Thumpertalk. They were not in a kit and sold per each spring...

The Goat
01-10-2009, 03:36 AM
Thanks dc. I ordered the springs too.

I'm thinking about posting up pics of all the little parts I have acquired for this build... Or should I wait until post powder?

Is there interest or no?

chris200x
01-10-2009, 04:47 AM
Intrested in pics? need you ask?! :D

BigGreenMachine
01-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Fly Aero Snow-X handlebars have no rise and a 10 degree sweep back. Available in 7/8ths or 1 1/8ths.

Nice head.

The Goat
02-12-2009, 10:22 PM
http://www.justatv.com/pages/atv_axles_images/axcaliberaxle.gif

The Goat
02-12-2009, 10:27 PM
http://www.heavyequipmentsales.net/ebay/350xengine2/350x201.jpg

The Goat
02-12-2009, 10:32 PM
http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/keihin_fcr_mx_carburetors/keihin6.gif

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/muso2/DSC00661.jpg

edit bump: I have the matching skid for under the engine. NEW.

braunz200x
02-12-2009, 10:38 PM
http://crxontario.com/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

The Goat
02-12-2009, 10:42 PM
http://crxontario.com/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

where would you go about putting these...hmmm

I wonder

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Media/News/CRF250%20Photo%202.jpg

braunz200x
02-12-2009, 10:46 PM
http://forums.randi.org/images/smilies/mazeguyemotions/eye-popping.gif

honda250sx
02-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Snazzy me likey

The Goat
02-12-2009, 10:57 PM
btw...thanks andnuaa for the engine. you and your dad helped out the most with that.

I was having a dryspell finding one for quite a while.

these pics are just things that are sitting in the closet that I don't have actual pics of. cept the axle...that was ordered a few days ago and hasn't come in yet.

let's not forget that douglas 10in front with the whole shot on it.

andnuaa
02-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Hay Goat looking good and I am glad we could help you out and I can't wait to see it all put together

The Goat
02-12-2009, 11:45 PM
just a couple more months. lol. yes months.

aldochina
02-13-2009, 01:31 AM
its good to take your time, looks like its gonna be killer. I'll be picking your brain about that motor when I get into my NEW 350X motor.

Autophysn
02-13-2009, 03:25 AM
just went over this entire thread for the first time, Dude, that bike is gonna be killer! , IMO, Edog will be jealous, but shhhhh! LOL!

Got any new pics of her?

edog
02-13-2009, 07:56 AM
just went over this entire thread for the first time, Dude, that bike is gonna be killer! , IMO, Edog will be jealous, but shhhhh! LOL!

Got any new pics of her?

Wrongshens

Dirtcrasher
02-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Can I see the "unofficial build"??

I'm growing tired of this official chit!! :D

The Goat
02-13-2009, 05:59 PM
lol...it was meant to be a joke.

the unofficial build is a year long consisting of other engines, 450r exhausts, stock frames, different tires...

parts stashed in the house for a year, an entire room full of boxes of little pieces that I don't even remember purchasing.

arrange behind the back deals with members for nice parts..

scrounging through every for sale thread on a 450r forum for actual NEW take off parts.

running a 41mm fcr to have great bottom end...and horrible TOP...yeah. you read that right.

having my axle stolen by a local powder coating shop...later found, and then ransomed, hence the reason for the excalibar axle.

the unofficial thread is a lot more...drama.

btw...don't pick my brain about the engine, pick the people's brains on here who lead me to correct choices for components.

mainly swigin for many interesting ideas. The gent over on .org who did the dual exhaust. DC for always talking about his light flywheel and so on.

all I did was buy what was reviewed well.

beets442
02-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Nice ride. Are you gonna switch that front wheel around. Looks weird with it like that. Good luck Beets

The Goat
02-13-2009, 07:30 PM
....that's how it's supposed to be?

Autophysn
02-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Wrongshens

haha, just kidding buddy. Can't wait to see both bikes done tho:Bounce

Shawn72
02-13-2009, 10:18 PM
I love seeing old trikes with new plastic. Cool.

The Goat
02-27-2009, 08:46 AM
won't be anything old on this mule when I'm done with it.

This build will be proof that a guy with zero talent with a wrench can make something nice if only given time, and help from a lot of good people.

Erics350x
02-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Any updates on it? Pics?
If you end up with a good left case or stator cover let me know.

The Goat
02-27-2009, 09:57 AM
I sold my engine a while back. No new pics... Everything is slowly coming together.

I do have a pretty axcal axle on my dining room table.

The Goat
03-31-2009, 09:26 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/roundheya/6d9c9cd4.jpg

hmmmm... I wonder what this could be?

honda250sx
03-31-2009, 09:32 PM
exhaust tip

The Goat
03-31-2009, 09:34 PM
not even close brotha...

I will hint that it does have to be trimmed slightly for fitment.

perhaps made slightly ovalish in nature on the outer portion

Erics350x
03-31-2009, 09:41 PM
intake??????

The Goat
03-31-2009, 09:46 PM
does this help

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/sblt/100_0187.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/sblt/100_0190.jpg

Erics350x
03-31-2009, 09:50 PM
its gotta be a intake, right? Just tell us already damn u

chris200x
03-31-2009, 09:52 PM
its gotta be a intake, right? Just tell us already damn u

yeah, tell us where we can get one lol. :eek:

honda250sx
03-31-2009, 09:53 PM
don't bother asking me to machine anything bro.... lol

The Goat
03-31-2009, 09:54 PM
don't bother asking me to machine anything bro.... lol

wait...are you saying that you could have? lol. I thought you just sold the equipment...I didn't know you did the work too.

yes it is an intake.

I'll have to ask the seller if he wants more business.

I was expecting it to be nice...but I'm downright in aww of how nice it came out.

hmmm...jeff wanna ano it?

white or lime green....you could anodize my airbox too? lol

honda250sx
03-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Yes bro. I am a machinist and machine repairman on the worlds finest CNC equipment.

I can ano.

Not really a color for white and lime green. How about GOLD?

The Goat
03-31-2009, 10:07 PM
EWWWWWW NO

I may have a side project for you.

If I handmake something...can you remap it and machine it onto a material of my choice?

I can supply the material...delrin plastic?

sblt500r made my intake...and he is very willing to make more.

I must warn you that mine is slightly tweaked for my performance....37mm internal diameter to be matchported...slightly longer to accomodate the shorter carb. things like that.

but look at the quality. beautiful...and handmade.

chris200x
04-01-2009, 06:59 AM
wait...are you saying that you could have? lol. I thought you just sold the equipment...I didn't know you did the work too.

yes it is an intake.

I'll have to ask the seller if he wants more business.

I was expecting it to be nice...but I'm downright in aww of how nice it came out.

hmmm...jeff wanna ano it?

white or lime green....you could anodize my airbox too? lol

wtf is this talk of an aluminum airbox? can you elaborate? :)

Mr.Atc
04-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Wow that looks good that will be a good trike when you are finished.I have to say i was a little surprised when i saw the red fenders green seat and green frame.

The Goat
04-01-2009, 10:47 AM
wtf is this talk of an aluminum airbox? can you elaborate? :)

lol what? there's an airbox... it's alluminum. there is lots of that metal on the bike.

I shudder to think of my build price...

hence the reason someone should buy the last 350x stuff I have!

rear end is still here! anyone need an 06 450r stock rear shock? 70 bucks shipped.

chris I'll tell ya all you wanna know in Pennsylvania.

Erics350x
07-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Any updates?

edog
07-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Nice collection of parts. When you going to have a 350X?

I bet when it's done it will be sold or parted out in 6 months from the finish date.

honda250sx
07-12-2009, 12:08 PM
lol maybe if you were trying to build it.

It is a nice collection of parts.

At least there not all armor all. And spraybombed. Then you sell bent and dented parts. Motors that are trashed and smoke like mosquito foggers. You know. At least if it is parted WE KNOW THESE ARE GOOD PARTS.

The Goat
07-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Edog stfu. You contribute nothing to this forum and I gave you my opinion of you last year. You're a worthless piece of trash who isn't worth the gum stuck to the bottom of my shoe. There is more money and thought put into the rear of this bike than was put into your entire spray bombed piece of trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro 250r. You've cheated me twice now. My advice is to stfu while you're ahead.

Your ass deserves a ban for downright thievery and lies.

Ps, I've never touched a bike where I didn't turn a profit AND help a member out. WTF have you done besides piss and moan and generally be a drain on a forum otherwise populated with good honest people. I take solace in knowing that you will certainly get what's coming to you. Rest assured you deserve the worst.

Updates on the bike: I anxiously await news from Jason hall. I hope to pick it up in august and begin powder.

Nothing has been overlooked... Or spray bombed. Theframe is having 10-15 pounds of reinforcements added to it. Wrapping most sections, reinforcing corners, adding material to kneck and downtube. Lower and upper shock mount being moved to run yfz shock. Alluminum airbox to run pan filter. Exhaust to run 400ex dg dual to a 2in single back go a split below thin airpan. cr250r front. 450r rear. Axcalibir anti fade hub.

Nos engine with rd springs mega ycle cam, lighter flywheel. Head to be shipped to boosted96 for porting. I could keep going....

What have you accomplished edog you trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro? Excuse me if krylon doesn't cut it. Have a little pride in what you do...l

Thorpe
07-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Sounds like its gonna be one bad 350X! Got any updated pics Goat?

Erics350x
07-12-2009, 09:14 PM
What mods need to be done to run a 450r rear set-up? I have mine in parts as we speak. Im getting Billy to repair/reinforce my frame. Then im gonna rebuild everything.

edog
07-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Edog stfu. You contribute nothing to this forum and I gave you my opinion of you last year. You're a worthless piece of trash who isn't worth the gum stuck to the bottom of my shoe. There is more money and thought put into the rear of this bike than was put into your entire spray bombed piece of trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro 250r. You've cheated me twice now. My advice is to stfu while you're ahead.

Your ass deserves a ban for downright thievery and lies.

Ps, I've never touched a bike where I didn't turn a profit AND help a member out. WTF have you done besides piss and moan and generally be a drain on a forum otherwise populated with good honest people. I take solace in knowing that you will certainly get what's coming to you. Rest assured you deserve the worst.

Updates on the bike: I anxiously await news from Jason hall. I hope to pick it up in august and begin powder.

Nothing has been overlooked... Or spray bombed. Theframe is having 10-15 pounds of reinforcements added to it. Wrapping most sections, reinforcing corners, adding material to kneck and downtube. Lower and upper shock mount being moved to run yfz shock. Alluminum airbox to run pan filter. Exhaust to run 400ex dg dual to a 2in single back go a split below thin airpan. cr250r front. 450r rear. Axcalibir anti fade hub.

Nos engine with rd springs mega ycle cam, lighter flywheel. Head to be shipped to boosted96 for porting. I could keep going....

What have you accomplished edog you trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro? Excuse me if krylon doesn't cut it. Have a little pride in what you do...l

Cut the hate hater.:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

The Goat
08-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Just something simple, and ya might not care, but You get them as I get them... this is the first round of gussets...more to come. Big tasty steel plate!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff42/Jasons450r/Goatsgussots2.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff42/Jasons450r/GoatsGussots.jpg

Bunnyhop
08-21-2009, 05:29 PM
I've read this entire thread. This looks and sounds like a very promising build done right. Godspeed to The Goat.
On a sidenote, this Edog character looks and sounds like a douchebag. I'm new to this site but every post I read from that guy is trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro worthless!

Erics350x
08-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Whats with the bog plate?

The Goat
08-21-2009, 06:37 PM
underneath the engine cradle...it's a quick way to stiffen the entire lower frame...less flexing weak tubing, less chance of fatigue and breaking.

btw...bunnyhop, at least someone sees it, and thanks for the compliments.

Bunnyhop
08-21-2009, 06:40 PM
You are going to put some lightning holes in that plate and make it removable correct?

The Goat
08-21-2009, 06:45 PM
not removable...there will be a hole for the oil if I'm not mistaken.

I'm so big, if I wanna cut weight on the bike, I just need to run.

with the inverts and the 450r rear and all the alluminum extras, cutting an ounch here or there won't really help me at all to be honest...

Bunnyhop
08-21-2009, 07:38 PM
You could swiss cheese the plat and it would still be very helpful in stiffening your lower engine cradle. Otherwise that plate is gonna end up bein a grime trap that you can't clean unless the eingine is removed. You'll wind up with an inch of dirt, grass, twigs and grease stuck there. But thats just my opinion, it is your build afterall.

Jason Hall
08-21-2009, 09:13 PM
I plan on putting hole's In the lower plate to help when cleaning :beer :D Goat has some HUGE 450r footpegs to mount on this thing, so lots of strength Is In order!!! The pegs will be held to the frame with 3 bolts. A thick plate will be bolted to the stock footpeg bracket hole's, along with 1 extra bolt down low along side the bottom frame tube.

The pic's will start rollin out In the next couple days :Bounce :Bounce

Bunnyhop
08-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Can't wait for more pics!

The Goat
09-16-2009, 08:58 AM
If you think this is too wide.....

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/roundheya/iPhoneUpload-14.jpg

You might be right!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/roundheya/iPhoneUpload-15.jpg

7 0r 8 inches of adjustability though, so it has some leeway.

johnny's X
09-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Holy Hell Cade are you flat track racing this thing?

Ready for more pickled eggs and sausage?

The Goat
09-16-2009, 12:23 PM
lol, ya like that johnny?

It's longer and wider than stock, should be like 70-80ish inches long from the edge of rear tire to front tire when done and about 53 wide or so. Depends on how I like it. It's just for the gravel roads in the oil fields down here and the pipelines and such. Should be AWESOME.

As for pickled eggs and sausage...mmmmmmmm. I got a new kick right now, pickled ONIONS!!!!! awesome stuff.

As long as we get to pound beer and then drive 500 miles in snow for the first time in my life, after ripping off my rear door handle because it was frozen shut...oh why not

SWIGIN
09-16-2009, 04:06 PM
looks about right to me for width :naughty:

Bunnyhop
09-16-2009, 04:44 PM
LOL That is awesome! It's just like the Enzyte ads claim, "increase in length and girth"

Dirtcrasher
09-16-2009, 07:42 PM
What I like the most about this build:

You do tons of research
You ask LOTS of questions
You pay people to do the things you don't feel comfortable with
And you take the time to get it near exactly the way you wish!

I'm sure it's gonna turn out fantastic and other guys should learn from it. If your in a hurry to ride, buy a crappy runner to continue having fun.

But when you want to do something your "right" way, take your time and pay attention to this build.

Even while layed off, if I had been more sensible with my money I could have been well on my way to a similar project.

Can't wait to see the finished product Cade!! :beer:

The Goat
09-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Seriously thanks people.

Steve, Jason might not agree with ya, there is quite the bin of unusable parts at his place from ideas that didn't pan out. Ha. Couple shocks, couple exhaust pipes, posibly some front forks if they keep pissing me off. Eh, it'll be alright.

Using a Lincoln chatterbox that we have in the shed for equipment around the property, you can more than bet I wouldn't touch an ATC frame with it.

Some really awesome people have come through on this build. When done, the only thing not addressed is I can't find a new cdi or regulator. Hint hint to you NOS hoarders, HABO!

Getting closer. Found out that baton rouge powdercoating does phenomenol work.... So they will be my next stop.

hancadam
09-16-2009, 09:19 PM
I read this post from start to finish today, somehow I haven't seen it until today, but very nice build Goat. I love the green and white. Can't wait to see the finished product.

keister
09-17-2009, 01:30 PM
You know Goat, if you go any wider it will no longer be an ATC..... it will be a side-by-side. :lol: Your post made me curious so I measured my R for reference. It is 49.5" wide (which is plenty to spin donuts on dry asphalt).

Keep up the good work - can't wait to see it finished.

johnny's X
09-17-2009, 02:12 PM
that was a fun night. We will have to do it again for sure

aldochina
12-17-2009, 01:02 AM
going on 2 years with this build Goat!! where we at!!!

audioworks04
12-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Thats way wide. 53" is huge be great for ice flat track and duning though. Looks like G-Force hubs which is the same as im running on they 450 and love them, great build quality. Looks like they arent slid all the way onto the splines?
My 450 is 49 and it seems perfect for me in the dunes, but all the riding areas around her are set up for 50" and have just slightly wider openings at all the entrance poles to the trail areas making it a little tricky to get in an out. It fits, but its tight and some bouncing off poles happens often.