PDA

View Full Version : just a general three wheeler question..

PureMetalKorey
01-15-2008, 10:21 AM
do all three wheelers steer terribly on pavement or is this problem due to big round bulky tires in the front?

SWIGIN
01-15-2008, 10:40 AM
yes

my 110 is harder to turn on pavement then a 250r

atctim
01-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Physics say it is hard to steer a three wheeler on pavement - although a KLT with only one rear drive tire locked in would turn real nice on pavement. All other models with the solid rear end make it hard to turn from a lack of a differential.

Threes company
01-15-2008, 11:02 AM
do all three wheelers steer terribly on pavement or is this problem due to big round bulky tires in the front?
It really has little to do with that wide front tire. Most three wheelers have a solid rearend... meaning there is not a differential as a car would have. So as you are turning, both rear wheels are trying tp turn at the same rate.... thus causing the trike to want to push ahead instead of turn. The inside wheel wants to turn at a slower speed than the outside wheel, this is where a differential comes in handy. I have an 85 KLT250 that does have a differential...... there is a knob on one side that you twist to either lock the rearend or unlock it, basically making it so power is transmitted to only one wheel. This makes it turn on hard surfaces much easier, with the trike not wanting to "push". I know these trikes used to be used quite a bit back in the day by police agencies for this reason (they made a black Police Package KLT) and were even used for security in the olympics at one time. :beer

TeamGeek6
01-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Only a FOOL rides a 3 Wheeler on PAVEMENT. Dirt, man.

Rustytinhorn
01-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Only a FOOL rides a 3 Wheeler on PAVEMENT. Dirt, man.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt."
Having said that, I ride mine on pavement. Just have to be careful.

SpeedyTide
01-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Ask yourself...."what were they made for?"

Dirt last time I checked. Want on the street...get a street legal machine.