PDA

View Full Version : 81 Honda ATC 250R No spark

f14am
01-14-2008, 08:15 PM
I bought an 81 ATC 250R a few months ago and completely rebuilt the motor; new piston, rings, wrist pin and bearing, bored .050 over and all that. I put it back together, and got it running last night. I also rebuilt the carb. It started fine, but was boggy between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle, so I put it up for the night and was going to work on it in the morning. I came out, started it up and was going to warm up the motor to adjust the carb. I forgot to turn the fuel back on and while riding, it ran out of gas. That's when the trouble began...kicked and kicked and kicked, but nothing. pushed it back to the shop, pulled the plug and replaced with new one. Still nothing. Checked carb and its still getting fuel to the motor. I pulled the plug out and held it against the cylilnder head to check for spark. No spark. I don't know if it's the cdi box or the coil or magneto or what....Anyone have an idea?

TeamGeek6
01-15-2008, 01:08 AM
ALWAYS suspect wiring, never replace boxes until its proven the wiring is not at fault. Especially if the wiring uses 'bullet' connectors.

My 86 did the same thing, it was a bad CDI plug. Often, people replace boxes and stators when the box or stator wasnt bad, they just installed a new or different connector and made it work for a while.

Honda has had a history of garbage electrical wiring for years.

this problem began after removing and reinstalling the engine. In the process, all the wiring is disturbed.

Brockey
01-15-2008, 08:28 PM
I inspected my electrical system and the stator plate had a hairline crack right thru it. It all makes a difference.

NINJA
01-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Have you checked your killswitch?