PDA

View Full Version : My 87 200x feels choked up. Will new pipe help?

Chris070780
01-14-2008, 10:22 AM
I have an 87 200x that I just started riding. This bike is in mint shape. When I received the trike the exhaust was broke off at the silencer and I could swear it had way more power before I welded it back on. I took my first long trail ride on it yesterday and it just felt way slow. On the road a poorly running blaster with a pipe could walk away from it.

I know the motor is healthily. It has good compression and doesn’t smoke. My question is where is the power with this motor? Is it worth purchasing a cobra pipe? Will removing the center baffle from the stock pipe do anything? I am trying to find some cheap power so if you have any ideas please let me know?

edog
01-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Try a different pipe.Maybe a 4 inch Supertrapp,K+N filter,jet it.

That will wake it up!

Chris070780
01-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Try a different pipe.Maybe a 4 inch Supertrapp,K+N filter,jet it.

That will wake it up!

Supper trap still make a pipe for the 86-87 200x's?

edog
01-14-2008, 10:40 AM
I am not that shure.I know you can get a super trapp muffler from Denis Kirk.Just the end muffler peice.

Chris070780
01-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Well I don’t really want to spend a lot of money on a pipe. Dennis Kirk has the reverse mega cone Cobra muffler for like $130 which is not bad. I am wondering where the restriction is? The head pipe or the muffler? If it’s the muffler I can just remove the inner baffle and have about the same pipe as the $130 cobra.

super90
01-14-2008, 11:02 AM
You need to get a new header and muffler. The stock header is tiny and chokes it up alot. try a cobra header and muffler, or customize a better pipe to fit and use the cobra header like i did.

Chris070780
01-14-2008, 11:19 AM
You need to get a new header and muffler. The stock header is tiny and chokes it up alot. try a cobra header and muffler, or customize a better pipe to fit and use the cobra header like i did.

I guess I'll go with the Cobra Megaphone steel system if I can't find a used one then. $130 isn't bad.

What size jet are you running with your system? Is your air box lid on or off? Any really benefit to it being off?

chris200x
01-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Have you tried cleaning your air filter and carb? Start simple.. Ever look inside the stock muffler to see if it blocked up?

Those cobra pipes are LOUD. I hope you have tolerant neighbors.

Dirtcrasher
01-14-2008, 11:25 AM
How long was it run with just a headpipe?? You may have some valve issues. And it had to be running very lean with an open header.

That motor should have plenty of power in stock form. An aftermarket carb and jetting always help but I'd bet you have another problem.

"What size jet are you running with your system? Is your air box lid on or off? Any really benefit to it being off?"

The lid is off so more air can get in the engine and out through the new exhaust. As long as your not in real muddy and wet conditions, the lid really chokes it up. His jet won't be your jet, I drill them out one step at a time until I get it perfect.

COBRA is terribly loud, I mean BAD to the point that it pisses off neighbors and other riders. I know, not too many options...............

Chris070780
01-14-2008, 11:35 AM
No it wasn't to lean even with the broke head pipe from the silencer. If it was lean enough to do damage then it would have ran like crap. It ran great with no stumbles or anything like that. As I said the motor has great compression.

I will not drill jets as it messes with the taper. I'll order some jets from genuine KEIHIN jets from sudco. . I understand that all bikes are different and elevation and climate play a huge role. I just wanted a good starting range

I can stand loud, but not to loud LOL I don't know if cobra falls into the stupid loud category or not LOL

Chris070780
01-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Have you tried cleaning your air filter and carb? Start simple.. Ever look inside the stock muffler to see if it blocked up?

Those cobra pipes are LOUD. I hope you have tolerant neighbors.

Air filter is new. I haven't clean the carb as I think its fine. If it was clogged it would run like crap and it doesn't. Today I am going to take the center baffle out of the OE pipe. It looks like two screws and it pulls out.

edog
01-14-2008, 12:11 PM
My friend had a Cobra pipe on his 86 200X.It was way too loud.

Chris070780
01-14-2008, 12:28 PM
What about DG? They not as loud? Really all I want is the head pipe then I can make my own can, but its a waste of money to buy a whole pipe for just the header.

Threes company
01-14-2008, 12:29 PM
If you thought the bike was running fine before you rewelded the stock silencer back on I would say thats where your problem is. Pull the rear baffle/spark arrestor assembly out.... could be all carboned up. It might even be so rusted inside that it has collapsed in on itself, this would choke up your bike bigtime. Another idea, when you rewelded the silencer on any chance some slag could have built up on the inside of the pipe? As far as a cobra goes... they are fun for the first five minutes, after that the noise just becomes annoying. :beer

Threes company
01-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Hey Chris......... using your old headpipe, and a bit of fab work, maybe you could make something like this work. Just an example........ used ones out there too. Good luck. :beer http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motocross-FMF-4-stroke-exhaust-Silencer-for-Yamaha_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35596QQihZ022QQi temZ350013779865QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Dirtcrasher
01-14-2008, 01:27 PM
No it wasn't to lean even with the broke head pipe from the silencer. If it was lean enough to do damage then it would have ran like crap. It ran great with no stumbles or anything like that. As I said the motor has great compression.

I will not drill jets as it messes with the taper. I'll order some jets from genuine KEIHIN jets from sudco. . I understand that all bikes are different and elevation and climate play a huge role. I just wanted a good starting range

I can stand loud, but not to loud LOL I don't know if cobra falls into the stupid loud category or not LOL

I was advised by a tech at Sudco to drill the jets with a 1-60 drill index till I got it spot on. Otherwise I'd need 5 or more 4$ jets just to play around with the jetting. I've never heard of jets being tapered.

Yes, it is stupid loud......

Yamada
01-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Just like someone else stated, before you buy a new exhaust check if the muffler is plugged, the carb is clean, adjust the valves, etc.