PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Big Red electrical advice needed

CaptainRon
01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
1984 Honda Big Red - no lights work, even when engine running.
Has no battery in it right now - is that why?
Shouldn't the lighting coil run the lights when engine running even without a battery? My ATC185S does, and it seems to use the same stator assembly.

Don't have correct manual (I know, my fault), but an older model book says check yellow wire to ground for continuity - check and not present. But there is continuity between the two yellow wires coming from lighting coil - just not to ground.
Checked older stator that is covered by book, and it checks out the same - no continuity to ground but there is continuity btween the two wires of the lighting coil.
Lighting coil appears to not be connected to ground at all, just the igniton coil side is.

Do I just need a battery, and then check to see if it is getting charged whle running?

TeamGeek6
01-14-2008, 04:02 PM
1984 Honda Big Red - no lights work, even when engine running.

[[A broken honda? No way]]

Has no battery in it right now - is that why?

[[No]]

Shouldn't the lighting coil run the lights when engine running even without a battery? My ATC185S does, and it seems to use the same stator assembly.

[[yes]]

Don't have correct manual (I know, my fault), but an older model book says check yellow wire to ground for continuity - check and not present. But there is continuity between the two yellow wires coming from lighting coil - just not to ground.

[[Manuals usually suck, theres a wiring diagram on 3WW:

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Wiring/ATC185x185Sx200x200Sx80Thru84.jpg

Checked older stator that is covered by book, and it checks out the same - no continuity to ground but there is continuity btween the two wires of the lighting coil.

[[Yes, but realise continuity doenst mean its good.]]

Lighting coil appears to not be connected to ground at all, just the igniton coil side is.

[[right, some are, this one isnt]]

Do I just need a battery, and then check to see if it is getting charged whle running?

[[No, get a 12 volt batery or power supply and substitute the lights stator with 12 volts, then go through the system with a voltmeter, its usually Hondas junk wiring - the connectors are usually at fault]]

CaptainRon
01-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the reply TeamGeek6.

I forgot to mention that when I do attach a power source to the battery terminals, the lights work properly.

However, I did not think to hook the power supply to the trike side of the (unplugged) stator connector, and see if the lights work then or are still inoperative.

I'll try that tonight.

Thanks for the advice!
Ron

TeamGeek6
01-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Be SURE to not connect it to the stator, that will destroy the stator.
yes, trike side of disconnected wiring.

If it worked with a battery connected, then first guess is a bad stator plug, they tend to use 'bullet' connectors which fail very often.