PDA

View Full Version : Where to find o-rings? Besides the dealerships

Dammit!
01-12-2008, 08:11 PM
I need to find a couple o-rings in a big hurry. None of the local dealers that I could call before closing time today had them. Shipping would take too long. I know machine shops sometimes have the bearings that we need but what kind of shops can I call to find o-rings locally?

The one I need is Honda part# 91353-HA2-670 (bearing carrier o-rings). It says 81x3 so I assume that's 81mm by 3mm in size?

YTM 225dx
01-12-2008, 08:13 PM
When i need simple round orings i ussually can get them at the local hardware store or home center. They ussually keep a good selection of o rings in stock.

gregg22
01-12-2008, 08:15 PM
try looking for motion industries in your area ,also applied industries.I have also found a good selection at large farm equipment dealers.

4cylinders
01-12-2008, 08:21 PM
hey, try checker or auto zone, maybe napa.

Dirtcrasher
01-12-2008, 08:48 PM
If were talking HONDA, FORGET IT!! Uhmmm... Not too mention that is one HUGE o-ring you need bud!!

I won't tell you than there aren't any o-rings that will work, because some of them will and do work. But, Honda (maybe other mfgrs too???) makes some real stupid sizes - 8.6x20.4, 62.5x3.2mm etc etc. I honestly can't believe how odd most of there sizes are. In the "Machinists Handbook" there is a chart about the size hole you cut for a given o-ring - I've only dealt with it for a standard size like .500ID x .750OD and .125 diameter etc etc.... But I guess HONDA just kinda makes up there own requirements.

There is an o-ring in my 350X carrier with 2 part diff numbers, The difference is that an ID on one part number is .1mm difference in size. That is 1/10th of a mm kids... Is that really necessary?

Honda has some odd stuff..... But, perfection takes work!! :D

edog
01-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Service Star if you have them there.

KASEY
01-12-2008, 10:27 PM
hell i would put it toghther without.... aftermarket carriers don't have them,,,

Dammit!
01-13-2008, 12:30 AM
aftermarket carriers don't have them,,,

Seriously? I never knew that.

honda250sx
01-13-2008, 01:30 AM
Closest thing to that would be a G80 oring. But like DC says HONDA IS SPECIFIC. I dont care what anyone else says. You can get close but your not going to match OEM all the time. Dammit whats your email i can send you some nice charts that i have. I work of a Japanese machine tool manufacturer so i have lots of nice info on any kinds of metric hardware, nuts,bolts,seals,orings, etc.

Dammit!
01-13-2008, 01:48 AM
dammit987@hotmail.com

I'll put it together without them if I have to but I'd like something in there just for piece of mind. As long as it's close it should be fine.

BigReds Forever
01-13-2008, 03:09 AM
I dont know if you can find the tools at a local store, but at the shop my dad works at, they have a few roles of different sized rubber "sting," a nice cutter, and some strange glue. You can make any size you need! A glued o-ring may not seam like a good idea but this is some weird glue and they hold together great. Ive never had any come apart before and the glued area is only slightly larger if any at all.

ditchmud
01-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Try your local hydraulics shop. They have o-rings

KASEY
01-13-2008, 11:51 AM
those carrier orings are HONDA SPEC only ,,, the rings that go around the carrier are not round either,,, so if you try to force anything in there it will just roll out while your trying to put it together,,,,,,,,,, unless your riding in muddy conditions all the time,,, i would just put it back together without,,, just remember after market carriers don't even have them,,,,

Bryan Raffa
01-13-2008, 11:56 AM
your talking about the big O ring on the out side of the carrier? I got a used set out of a 85 350x OEM ..they will help you keep the sand and water out..and make chain tighting easer.. rather than beating the hell out of the carrier trying to get it to spin..you could also put a zerk fitting in the swinger and fill it full of grease..but is a PITA when you take it apart..messy...

3Razors
01-13-2008, 11:57 AM
You might get lucky at BOB's..He has alot of the old stock rubber parts for atc's. I think they are closed till tues. though.

If you call ask for a guy named "Rod" he'll know what your talking about.

SWIGIN
01-13-2008, 12:04 PM
lube up the inside of the swingarm pinchers and throw it together

Dirtcrasher
01-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Closest thing to that would be a G80 oring. But like DC says HONDA IS SPECIFIC. I dont care what anyone else says. You can get close but your not going to match OEM all the time. Dammit whats your email i can send you some nice charts that i have. I work of a Japanese machine tool manufacturer so i have lots of nice info on any kinds of metric hardware, nuts,bolts,seals,orings, etc.

Send that my way too buddy!! :w00t:

honda250sx
01-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Your email still work steve!? Haha i have sent you a few and haven't heard from ya bud. Right on I will pass it along.

Dirtcrasher
01-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Your email still work steve!? Haha i have sent you a few and haven't heard from ya bud. Right on I will pass it along.

I'm just so damn busy I can't finish anything... Still stalking C-list for a free oven :lol: I'll get it in time. Until today I didn't have the room anyhow, but I cleaned and organized and sold some crap so I'm good to go.

Same email, always good to talk to ya. Still pluggin away at the Z I see :beer Nice goodies Ronnie sent ya :naughty:

TeamGeek6
01-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Buy bulk O ring cord from industrial supply, cut it with razor blade and Super Glue the ends. Thats whats on my 250R carrier right now. I think it was 0.090" thick.

topless
01-14-2008, 06:18 PM
I sell o-rings. If you have the metric sizes I can get then in buna-n or viton.
Price for the 81mm x 3mm in viton, $6 plus shipping.