PDA

View Full Version : Two Problems, One Cure?

automator
01-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Part One:
I recently bought a YTM200e and realized after a few rides that
there's a shifting problem between 2nd and 3rd gears.
What happens is this:

When the machine is at operating temperature, the shifting problem occurs.
It doesn't occur when it's cool. Shifting from neutral -> 1st is okay, and 1st -> 2nd is okay as well. When shifting from 2nd -> 3rd, it will act as if I've shifted all the way back down to neutral (it has inertia, but loses momentum), and acts like I've mis-shifted. When I let off the throttle, it clunks into 3rd and starts going again.

Part 2: When I was performing routine maintenance I attempted to check clutch free play. I loosened the lock nut and the adjuster screw didn't move at all. So, I squirted some PB Blaster crap in there and called it a night. When I came back the next day, I was able to take up the slack (turned it counterclockwise), then back clockwise a 1/4 turn. I ran the bike again for a little bit and checked it again. Sure enough, I was able to get more slack adjustment out of it. This process repeated MANY times until the screw was damned near out of the case.

Does anybody know of a fix for these problems? I am under assumption that #1 is a shifting fork/drum problem, and that #2 is a spring problem.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Phil

automator
01-11-2008, 10:09 PM
I have a solution for problem #2. The clutch arm was split, which makes sense when you think about the adjust/readjust issue. I'll probably weld this up to repair it since YTMs are scarce here.

The previous owner apparently liked to re-use the lock tabs. The primary clutch was loose on the crankshaft.

The secondary clutch was never torqued properly and the nut securing it to the shaft came off, which allowed the secondary clutch to move out and shave metal off the clutch basket's outer edge.

Photos to follow.

Now, onto the shifting problem :)

-phil

automator
01-12-2008, 04:53 AM
As promised, the photos:

The oil filter:
http://lowflux.com/imagen/jesus.jpg

The clutch arm:
http://lowflux.com/imagen/armworth.jpg

Another shot...too brittle to weld up. Thank God they're only 12$ new from DK, Bike Bandit, etc:
http://lowflux.com/imagen/armworth2.jpg

The secondary clutch retaining nut and lock tab. Who needs torque wrenches or lock tabs?
Notice the self-machining areas (green-shaded spots), and washers.
http://lowflux.com/imagen/brilliant.jpg

-phil

ceaserthethird
01-12-2008, 07:31 AM
Dude your awesome !

Know 1 reply's too your POST and you Still end up fixing your 3 Wheeler on your OWN with out any tip's of what the problem could be .... :w00t:

Thumbs up buddy :beer , Know Let's see more Pictures Please :pics:

Thanks For Helping out the New Member Guy's :banned:

Mr.Jake
01-12-2008, 08:09 AM
good stuff man, you dont need help! Man id hate to see one of my oil filters come out like that...

automator
01-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks fellas!

I usually help out when I can. If this thread doesn't glean any wisdom from forum members then perhaps it will provide some when everything is done. :)

I'd never torn into one of these before so I didn't know what to expect. The manuals don't show any of the exploded parts as a functioning system, so there was a small learning curve. Now that I know what to expect and everything makes sense, I'll try to be as helpful as I can.

We all help each other in the end!

Cheers,

Phil

cajunchilipeper
01-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Not too shabby....I have a feeling *Edited**Edited* trike is gonna stay strong for a long time....
Thanks fellas!

I usually help out when I can. If this thread doesn't glean any wisdom from forum members then perhaps it will provide some when everything is done. :)

I'd never torn into one of these before so I didn't know what to expect. The manuals don't show any of the exploded parts as a functioning system, so there was a small learning curve. Now that I know what to expect and everything makes sense, I'll try to be as helpful as I can.

We all help each other in the end!

Cheers,

Phil

automator
01-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Seems like this "purgatory" mis-shift problem is common on Yamahas. Does anybody know if this is related to the shift forks, gears, shift drum, cam, all, some, or none?
:)

If anyone has any bulletins on this and could post 'em up I'm sure people would appreciate it (including me!).

-phil

automator
01-31-2008, 02:11 AM
Just a bump to keep the thread alive. I've ordered some parts (mostly springs and a new shift arm), so I'll let you know if this fixes the problem.

In the meantime, I've bought another trike. This time, an '85 200x. Pictures coming soon!

-phil