PDA

View Full Version : Z 86 project

Sinbad46
01-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi, here are some pics of my Z project. It's a 1986. The motor run great, start with one or two kick. For this year, i don't touch to the motor and frame. I've been rebuilt front wheel bearing, new front tire, rebuilt front fork with new oil and seal, new leather on seat, new air filter, many parts have been paint (Rad guard, brake galiper, steering, etc.)new rear tire, new front master cylinder and brake pad front and rear, new warrior shock, new bushing and seal on the shock linkage. New DG exaust and pipe. New front and rear fender. I will stop here, it will be too long to tell all the parts have been change or in command. :) Look pics for detail. Thanks

If you look on picture that you see the shifter pedal. We see the oil seal and i think a part missing, some plate washer...and from Yamaha this part have been backordered. Somebody can tell me if this part are missing on my bike and where can find one aftermarket or other.

mike from long island
01-05-2008, 07:45 PM
There should be a shift shaft seal in there.It also looks like the chain popped off and scratched the case pretty good.You should be able to buy the shifter shaft seal still.If not There is a brand new shifter shaft and seal combo on ebay right now.

Sinbad46
01-05-2008, 08:22 PM
my shift shaft and seal are ok. In good condition. my shift pedal too. I just want to know if a part is missing between the seal and the shaft pedal.
thanks

mike from long island
01-05-2008, 09:41 PM
I dont think so.It may also be leaking from the sprocket shaft.

Sinbad46
01-06-2008, 12:32 AM
When my project will be more comleted, i will post some others pics. And if somebody have a nice 86 swing-arm in excellent condition for sell, mine are in bad condition!!! :)

Bryan Raffa
01-06-2008, 12:37 AM
check for a bent shift shaft..

Sinbad46
01-06-2008, 12:40 AM
for a bent shift shaft??? i don't understand!!!

Mosh
01-06-2008, 10:12 AM
All the parts are on the shifter shaft.There is no washer that goes there.
Like Raffa said,bent shifter shaft.Maybe.
But I also see that that baby had a hard chain derailment.
I wonder if it cracked the case somewhere near the shift shaft and that is where the leak is coming from.

Sinbad46
01-06-2008, 10:43 AM
thanks, i see the case scratching, it was there when i bought the bike. But it doesn't seem to be leaking.

TJ BIG DAWG
01-06-2008, 11:39 PM
it looks like your case is broken just to the left of the sprocket just above the letters on the case...it looks like the mount for the cain guard is busted off

Bryan Raffa
01-07-2008, 01:00 AM
looks like the chain ate through the actuator arm oil passage.. not to mention you missing big chunks.both the upper and lower case saver holes .. the 86 had both holes threded.. the 85 was just the top ..spray it down with carb cleaner and see where it leaks from..

Bryan Raffa
01-07-2008, 09:03 AM
just lookin at your bike again ..I would say replace that left side case..85 or 86 will work.. you do have the 86 swinger in it.. but it looks like it has had the front repaired..I would also grind thad weld down and weld a pice of steel right there and grind it smooth..

edog
01-07-2008, 09:05 AM
What is up with that sprocket?

Sinbad46
01-07-2008, 09:17 AM
thanks Bryan
if i can find some used good left side case, i'll change it in the future. And for the swing-arm, instead of working on this one, i'll be searching for a new used one in good shape.
Philip

Bryan Raffa
01-07-2008, 10:28 AM
85 and 86 swingers were diffrent .. so know what your lookin for.. I think got a good left case..

I would take that 86 swinger and rebuild it.. and reinforce that area with a nice plate and some nice weld's and call it good.. The z swingarms crack there and are noted for that.. Hate to see you get a swingarm and have it do the samething.. If your gonna ride it hard.. I would reinforce the one ya got.Do that and you will never have to worry about it out on the trail..

Sinbad46
01-07-2008, 01:12 PM
i think i will do your hint. Finding and changing the left side case and rebuilt this swingarm. Anyway, i must remove the swingarm to remove the left side case.
A good left case and reinforced, sand-blast and repainted swingarm and it will have a nice look!!!

Bryan Raffa
01-07-2008, 10:15 PM
the whole motor will need to be tore down and split the cases for the left side case to be replaced..it would be a good time to inspect ,basket,porting,bore,crank bearings,Rings,impeller,gears..just a thought..

Sinbad46
01-08-2008, 06:16 AM
yeah, a nice occasion to verify all the motor componnent!!!!