PDA

View Full Version : What got you into riding trikes?

Mr.Jake
01-04-2008, 11:18 PM
For me it was when i road my buddies. It was my first time ever on a trike and he let me borrow it for a weeks. Best hobby i've ever had. It just felt more fun than a 4 wheeler or dirt bike.:D I could explore dense forest without having to back up several times to make a turn like on a quad, pull wheelies with just the throttle, ride on 2 wheels, fix the engine without having to buy special tooling. I bought my first trike 6 months ago, its a ytm 175,:cool: then 2 months ago i got a honda 200m,:p im now saving up for a 250x or something similar.:w00t:

willrideanythin
01-04-2008, 11:25 PM
It started with a cheap fix and sell project last spring. It ended up being a cheap fix and keep project. I started the project with my wife and now we each have a trike and we are on our 3rd project trike. We have a couple high HP quads, But still love the 'old school" riding thrill.
Luke & Jen

Brockey
01-04-2008, 11:27 PM
My dad bought a 250r when I was really young. I owned a bunch of trikes growing up. Grew into Quads and phased out trikes. I then moved and had to sell my quad. 2001 Foreman 450es, Big wheel package, plow, winch. :( Then I was walking in a trail one day and found a gas tank. Looked around and found a 110 grew into the grass, with no fenders. Lugged it out and brought it home. Cleaned the carb, fixed the pull cord and threw in some fresh gas and it fired right up. Sold it and then I was looking at this site. Then I start buying others junk to fix. A trike always was lighter and easy to handle. And now they are getting rare so I love them even more.

TwoHundredEx
01-04-2008, 11:28 PM
My dad and uncle got me into them. They had a 185S when they were kids which got them into it. We had a couple 200's when I was about 8 or so and even though I rolled them each a couple times, (including straight up a metal pole in one case) I loved them. I had kind of forgotten about trikes in general until a couple years ago when my dad said he still wanted a liquid 250R. I started looking them up and realized how fast they were which put me on the hunt for one too. Sadly I could only find this 200X, but I'm doing my best to make it unlike any other. :lol:

super90
01-04-2008, 11:32 PM
My friend I think, he bought a little yellow suzuki 125 for $25 bucks. Then I bought a honda 110 for 300 bucks. Then found my current 200x behind a neighbors garage and snagged it for $200!

ProCarbine2k1
01-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Ive always had a "thing" for trikes.. had been wanting one for quite a while, just never put it high on the priority list. Well, a couple summers ago a friend told me that a co-worker had a 200x sitting in the garage, later that night (and 280 bucks later) she was mine.

Eric250R
01-04-2008, 11:50 PM
started in 1980, I was 5. My dad bought me a atc 70, been hooked ever since :TrikesOwn

Danold
01-04-2008, 11:59 PM
almost a year ago I got a 250 bigred in a trade for an nitro rc truck and have been hooked on em ever since. I like 4wheelers and dirtbikes in all but its just somthing about haven three wheels that makes them AWSOME!!! :TrikesOwn :TrikesOwn :TrikesOwn

SilverSurfer069
01-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Bought my first trike, a Honda 110 when I was 12, for $500 w/my paper route money I had saved up.
It was no were near fast, the rigid frame made it bounce like no tomorrow and the wheelies were few and far in between, but it was all mine. It took me places that at 12 years old were the other side of the world, even if was only a couple of miles from home.
There were 3 friends a me, (Honda 110, Honda 200x, Honda Big Red, & Yamaha Tri-Moto) that at any given time, were out riding on the old railroads bed that went for miles, down in the swamp and cattails seeing who got stuck the worst, or hanging out a King's Falls our favorite summer time swimming place.
Every morning it would take me to my other job at the farm, 4:30 am, to milk and back home to wash up so I could jump on the bus for school.
I had that 110 for a couple of years before finally steeping up to my first 200X, but everytime I get to look at old pictures with my lil'110 and me, it reminds me of best adolescent memories; and no matter if I have own over a dozen different trikes from then to now, or I finally own a couple 250R(s) I'm proud to have, that slow, bouncy, can't get out of its' own way 110 will always be my favorite 3 wheeler.:TrikesOwn :TrikesOwn :TrikesOwn

trike handler
01-05-2008, 01:43 AM
i got my first trike 4yrs ago. it needed alot of work. 3 yrs ago i finally got around to it and me and my wife brought it back to life and made it almost mint. An x buddy of mine got real bad into drugs and stole it on christmas eve.(200E) i stoll haven't seen him, he's in jail for stealing others bikes piece of sh--. . since then i bought 2 250sx(1 mine 1 my wife) 85 350x 84 250r xl500r converted W/ 200x(i bought on ebay, motor needed to be rebuilt i can't take credit for the idea but i did rebuild motor).

69HemiGTX
01-05-2008, 01:57 AM
When I was about six, my dad wanted to get either a JR50 or an ATC70 for me, but my buddy did a faceplant into a rock pile on his PW50, so my mom said no. :( I never had an ATV or motorcycle of my own until I was almost 18 because I had karts and racecars, but that didn't stop me from riding. A kid down the alley from me had a red YT60, and I think I rode it more than him. Another kid had an LT50, but it got stolen. We had tons of places to ride where I grew up, and we could always be found at any of them. Believe it or not, the first time I rode a 200X was at Robbie Van Winkle's house, AKA Vanilla Ice. Yes, Vanilla Ice lived down the road from me, and I met him because he was showing off for my sister on his KX125. :lol: Granted, this was about five years before "Ice Ice Baby" came out, but it was still him. He had a 200X in the corner of his garage, and he let me tool around on it a few times. Why he didn't have a Tecate was beyond me, considering he was sponsored by a Kawasaki shop. There were all kinds of trikes where I lived, 250Rs, Tri-Zs, Tecates, 200Xs, you name it, some kid had it, and I rode 'em all. :D

Chopper_Kingpin
01-05-2008, 01:58 AM
For me it was watching a bunch of older kids in Hanover Illinois riding in the shallow water of the Apple River. I will always remember watching them tear it up giggling and laughing. First time i road my 110 honda in the same part of the river a rock sliced my front tire. I went in for 30 seconds and pulled it out and up the bank for another 15 minutes. I never did ride in that river again lol.

84honda200s
01-05-2008, 02:05 AM
what got me into trikes ? hmmmm i would have to say 2 things got me into them.

reason one: the lack of snow forced me into selling all my sleds. i loved snowmobiles and still do put dam we just dont get the snow we use to get. so i sold them and used the money to get an atv. that brings me to reason number two: the cost of a quad scared me so i bought a trike instead. i got my 1st trike off e-gay for 159.00 brought to my front door. it was a 1984 200s. hell it even ran !!! looked like hell but it treated me good. ever since ive bin hooked on the trikes more than quads. i had a 01 blaster but didnt care for 4 wheels so i stuck with 3. i am in the ending stages of building my 2nd trike. its my 85 auto-x thats not so stock.

brapp
01-05-2008, 03:50 AM
lets see it all started back in 1985 when we went to the honda dealer to pick up a brand new 86 250sx to use fo rhunting and i wouldnt get of fthe 85 atc 70(keep in mind i wasnt even 2 yet lol but it came home with us and my older sister tooled around on it tilli was 3 qnd then look out i have been a 3wheelin nut ever since

The Goat
01-05-2008, 04:25 AM
my cousin got a 70 in 85 and then rode it for a few years then parked. from 1 to 2 I had a electric threewheeler that I would ride around on..they have pictures of me on it and I'm freaking TINY, I doubt I could even walk then. from age 2 to 4 I rode my grandpas big red around the yard, he'd just put it in second and let me go...big field with no trees, so I couldn't really do anything.

Funny thing is, I remember when he bought his 300 Fourtrax, I wasn't allowed to ride it because it was too dangerous. Ha.

I later got that 70 my cousin had...and always kept a screwdriver on hand to handle that limiter. We used to cut the limiter screws with a hacksaw and then reset them so they looked like they were all the way in. Parents never knew.

Then I had quads for 10 or 15 years. A yamaha Badger 80 and then a 250 Beartracker. I wanna buy another Badger, it was a great little bike. This year i moved back to where I grew up, with all the land, something to ride wasn't so much a privalege as a necessity. Quads that were fast were too expensive, so I bought my 200x roller. A lot of money later, and here I am.

As I was redoing mine, my cousin started redoing his original 70 and another that was bought in 91. Now we have three trikes in the shop and I should be getting another in less than two weeks. The only thing I don't like about the trike is how muddy you get when just riding on a wet road.

Hair Bear Bunch
01-05-2008, 05:20 AM
I lived near to a Honda car dealer and remember the ATC 110 in the showroom (late '70s?). I believe this was the first model supplied to the UK.
Anyway, thought they looked super fun but never got my paws on one until November '04 when I was looking at another vintage tractor to restore when the guy suddenly said "Ever seen one of these?"
In the next barn was a sad 70. No rear fenders, running 90cc engine, good tyres, looked a bit of a basket case but I wasn't going to turn down an oportunity and £50 ($100) later it was on it's way home, wedged in the trailer with the tractor. Don't have any land to use it on, but just something I always wanted. Had loads of fun with it, then March '07 the BigRed came along for £65 ($130) and then found this site and never looked back!

Twilight
01-05-2008, 06:59 AM
I wanted to show my friends I could ride anything, got on a 84 200x and ripped it up like nothing else. Then I bought a 86 200x for myself.

btw...fell on my ass 40+ times on the 86...never on the 84, lol

Nick_R_23
01-05-2008, 07:48 AM
What got me into riding trikes was actually a chainsaw. I was helping the neighbors cut logs, and somehow I cut my leg with it right above where it bends, and I ended up getting stitches, but the bad part was, was that I couldnt bend my leg or it would rip out the stitches. Since it was a pita to get in the car,, I needed something I could stand on to get around with. We had the old 83 ATC200 sitting under a tarp, so I set out fixing it up, and within a week I had it going and was driving it around. It was easy enough to get on to with out bending my leg, and still comfortable enough to ride around standing up all the time. I loved the thing so much that I kept on riding it, and eventually picked up a Big Red and Ive since expanded the collection.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

wad
01-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Well we have car boots sales over here, bit like a garage sale but where loads of ppl turn up in cars to a field and sell there old shite out the back of their cars and there was always some guy with around 10 ATC 70s for hire which the kids used to ride for 50p a go, that was my first ride on a ATC when i was around 7