PDA

View Full Version : Master link clip: post your technique

Dammit!
01-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Seems like by the time I need to put one of these on, I forgot how I did it the last time. I think I just screw around with it until the little *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**E dited* snaps in there. I was putting a new chain on the 350x today and started thinking there's probably a good technique for this that I'm missing. :lol:

The Goat
01-04-2008, 07:58 PM
use some needle nose pliers. slide the clip on, then catch the clip and the link with the pliers, squeeze and it's done.

works like a charm.

Dirtcrasher
01-04-2008, 09:01 PM
If it's an oring chain then it's a press fit. I use a 1/4-20 nut and with vice grips I work the plate back and forth until it is seated over studs and the orings. Then I take n n pliers and put the closed end of the clip on the front stud facing up or 90 degrees from the chain upwards. Then I rotate it down and use a teenie tiny screwdriver to flip the lower open side of the clip over the rear stud and - VOILA - she's done.........

Dammit!
01-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Now I have an excuse to finally go buy a new pair of needlenose pliers. I remembered doing it that way a long time ago as soon as I read your post. Can't for the life of me remember how I did it last time though. :lol:

TwoHundredEx
01-04-2008, 09:36 PM
You know, about a week ago I was thinking the exact same thing.
I just mess with it too, I eventually get it, but there HAS to be a better way.
I usually end up doing the pliers method, but even that sometimes gives me trouble, usually only when it's new and still stiff though.

McDerry
01-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Linesman Pliers work much better.

honda250sx
01-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Just get the masterlink pliers they sell. End all of the god forsaken misery. I believe Parts Unlimited has them.

Dammit!
01-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Hell I didn't even know there was such a thing as master link pliers.

super90
01-04-2008, 10:41 PM
The way i do it on the oring chains is to squeeze the clip and link together with pliers and slide the master link into the grooves, then I take off the pliers and squeeze the middle section and slide it in with my finger or until its touching the other pin, then tap it in with a hammer.

Howdy
01-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Modified Vice grips work flawlessly. I ground the tip to fit in the middle of the clip. The retainer clips slips right on. ;)
Howdy

Dammit!
01-05-2008, 12:05 AM
If it's an oring chain then it's a press fit. I use a 1/4-20 nut and with vice grips I work the plate back and forth until it is seated over studs and the orings. Then I take n n pliers and put the closed end of the clip on the front stud facing up or 90 degrees from the chain upwards. Then I rotate it down and use a teenie tiny screwdriver to flip the lower open side of the clip over the rear stud and - VOILA - she's done.........

That bold part was the key. That and digging out a work light so I could actually see what the hell I was doing. I took a 10mm nut and put it over the post/stud/whatever you want to call it on the side the clips go and used vise grips to squeeze the link together. Once I had some adequate light I could see I wasn't exposing enough of the groove. I couldn't get the o-rings compressed enough until I used the nut trick. The clip went on smooth as silk after that.

Great tip Dirtcrasher. :beer

4cylinders
01-05-2008, 12:55 AM
hey howdy, post a drawing of your tool.

Huffa
01-05-2008, 01:00 AM
Modified Vice grips work flawlessly. I ground the tip to fit in the middle of the clip. The retainer clips slips right on. ;)
Howdy

I use a vise grips as well.

I guess you know to always put the open end of clip opposite of rotation.

Erics350x
01-05-2008, 01:22 AM
You can buy chain tools in the bicycle section at Walmart.
I always use pliers or a flat head screw driver. It's easier with the chain off of the rear sprocket so you can fold it at the master for easy access.