PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 1984 YTM200EL Electric Start Question

madwrstler
01-03-2008, 10:10 PM
I just bought this trike and it runs excellent. IReminds me of my old Big Red when I was a kid. Now my issue - I have a new battery and all lights work but the electric start only "clicks" when the button is pushed. The clicking is coming from a black relay box with the four prongs inside. Does anyone have the diagnosis for this? Am I looking at a new starter? If so, where is the best place to get one? If it is too much money, I won't get it since the trike usually starts in one pull. Thanks in advance!

automator
01-03-2008, 10:49 PM
You're probably hearing the starter relay click. There should be a large wire that runs from the relay to the starter. Check that large wire for voltage when you hit the starter button. If there is voltage there, perhaps your starter's brushes need to be replaced, or further work needs to be performed on the starter.

If there is no voltage on that large wire, the relay could be bad. You may also need to check the other large wire coming from the battery to the relay. There should be voltage there regardless of pressing the starter button. If you don't have voltage there, you could have a break in the wiring.

Hope that helps!

-phil