PDA

View Full Version : For the wife - Auto-X or full auto quad?

69HemiGTX
01-02-2008, 04:42 AM
My wife is a tiny Filipina who has never ridden an ATV. She is very cautious, so I don't think letting her take her first rides on a trike would be too dangerous. Here's the deal: I have two 85 200Xs, one of which is in pretty good shape while the other is mechanically solid but downright ugly. My buddy has tons of ATV parts, including a 200S engine. My thoughts are to build an Auto-X with either his 200S engine or find a good 200M engine and modify the downtube for the starter. That way she won't have to pull start it if she stalls it, which given her size, might be a tough task for her. The other option is to try to find a clean automatic Bruin 250. This will be her everyday machine, so I want it to be both comfortable and reliable. Of course, I could still build an Auto-X for my stepson, the other 200X for grins, buy a Bruin 250 for her, and keep my toys for me.

Redneck Disclaimer - The French horn exhaust was the previous owner's idea, not mine. :crazy: :rolleyes: These are pictures from their respective Ebay auctions.

Vealmonkey
01-02-2008, 04:48 AM
You could get the electric start 200 from lifan, I think it was already done on here and everything would be new. Do a search for it and check it out.

The Goat
01-02-2008, 04:51 AM
yeah, i did the conversion, and it wasn't that hard. if you get the engine, i can tell you what all you need and what you have to do, it's nothing major.

69HemiGTX
01-02-2008, 05:20 AM
I thought about the Lifan, but it's not an automatic clutch, and that's the main reason why I want to do this. My buddy and I live in farm country, and farmers are always bringing stuff to his repair shop. More than likely, I could find a worn-out 200M for next to nothing and rebuild the engine at dealer cost for the parts and zero for labor since I'll do it all.

oldskool83
01-02-2008, 08:34 AM
i say auto-x if she just want to mess around. its less to worry about if you ride in the woods or just want to trail ride. maybe you should ask her what she wants.

Bryan Raffa
01-02-2008, 09:43 AM
theres a nice M motor on ebay that looks clean!

chris200x
01-02-2008, 10:13 AM
If its her first time riding she may be more comfortable and confident on the quad (yes I said that on a trike forum) let her get comfy riding that first... if money allows pick up the quad and build the auto X anyways. they are fun little rides and once she gains some confidence she may end up liking the three wheeler. If not you have another toy to tool around on.

Riding anything for the first time is intimidating so you want to make the experience as pleasurable as possible. once she gets comfy have her ride the trike and see what she thinks...

TrailerRider
01-02-2008, 09:02 PM
I am dumb and I know this but what is that on the back of the exhaust pipe on the wheeler with the chipped rear plastics?

TrailerRider
01-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Oh and start her on the trike. But just explain the basics to her and go slow. No hills etc.. Till she can handle it. Make her comfortable on the trike. Thats how I got my wife to ride ours. Now she scares me when she ride.. :naughty:

69HemiGTX
01-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Hey TrailerRider, read my "Redneck Disclaimer" just above the pics. :lol:

I agree with you about starting her out on a three wheeler. The whole point of starting her on one is to instill some respect for both the machine and her own abilities. The way I see it, it's similar to qualifying for a concealed handgun permit. If you qualify with a semi-automatic, you can carry both semis and revolvers, but if you qualify with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver. If you learn how to master a more complex instrument, then using something a little more simple becomes child's play. There were plenty of women who learned how to ride on three wheelers before quads were invented, and unless I've missed some kind of evolutionary leap, they can still learn to ride a three wheeler first, then move to a quad later.

mrtwidster1
01-03-2008, 10:56 AM
My wife started on a 200s. She just never felt comfortable on a 3 wheeler, she tried my big red 250 and loved the shift and go and electric start but still did not feel good ridin it. I had a 250sx in pieces and i found a couple of fourtrax 250 frames. So after a little prest-o change- o -cut-o weld-o I made her a quad. (I know, I know, prob. goin to get some slack here) Now I am as just as much a die hard 3 wheelin dude as the next, but a wise man once told me that he would rather be happy than right when it came to dealin with his spouse. So in conclusion to the matter, DO what will makes you happy! LOL BTW My son put a 200m in his wifes 185s and she loves it. I put a 185 in my 200x while I was waitin on another 200x motor and I loved it!! May put it back in! ( Married 31 years and still learnin!!)