PDA

View Full Version : 1983 honda atc 200

phil_t
05-27-2003, 01:10 AM
just picked my kid up a 83 atc 200. i got it pretty cheap but there is no compression. no wonder they used silicone on the head gasket. ripped it down the valves are fine etc. going to replace all the gaskets with new ones and do a tune up. not sure of the timing or if there is anything that i should keep on the look out for. any help would be appreciated and will do my best to help others in return. i dont have a manual yet and i live in the boonies so if anyone has one that they dont mind scanning out of or something any help would be appreciated. Thanks Phil in Blair Wi

Wickedfinger
05-27-2003, 02:01 AM
First off ... welcome aboard. Second, I'm pretty sure the ignition is a CDI unit (in '83) so the timing shouldn't be a factor unless its a bad unit. Id start with new gaskets and go from there. Hopefully you don't have a sacked valve spring or sticking valve - sometimes they're hard to diagnose.

ATCs Reborn
05-27-2003, 02:43 PM
on the silicone thing?????? are ya talkin about the actual head gasket or the head cap? you actually do use silicone between the head and the head cap, just so you know. be careful to put it on very very thin around the cam, there's an oil port there and if it's too thick you'll clog it up and won't have any oil gettin to the cam.
also, be very careful to not lose the little tiny pin on the cam under the cam sprocket. as soon as you get to it, take it out and put it somewhere safe. when ya go to put it back together, put a little dab of grease in the hole the little pin sits in. this will help it to stay in place while you're puttin the cam sprocket back on. you don't want it fallin out and endin up in the bottom end.
good luck,
steve

Wickedfinger
05-28-2003, 01:15 AM
Oh Duh, I just realized after a nights sleep, this guy probably meant valve timing/adjusting - somebody help this brother out and e-mail him a spec's page.