PDA

View Full Version : Honda & after market fork seals

Huffa
01-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Usually I just stick to buying OEM for fork seals, since you get the dust wiper (rubber part you see with fork boot slid up) with them too but just wondering what others you tried and how they are holding up ?

While I'm on for reference, might as well post how much they (OEM) are for the 83/4 R. Are the OEM ones still available ?

83/4R........18 SEAL SET, FR. FORK
51490-KBH-305 (replaces 51490-434-305) 002 $14.07 - PER SIDE

Here are two after market companies

http://www.cyclepages.com/ProductGroupDisp.aspx?ProductGroupID=5502498

http://vmopro.com/?Grab=Fork%20Seals&Action=173

Full List, all atc's not together, must scroll a bit

http://vmopro.com/Search/fork%20seals%20.asp

mike from long island
01-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Personally I have learned that the aftermarket ones just dont hold up.It could be my riding style,poor aftermarket ones,or even installed wrong??But I rebuilt the 350x forks with aftermarket and they did not last at all.I replaced with oem and havent had a problem since. If possibleI would go OEM.

Louis Mielke
01-01-2008, 09:40 AM
I've been using the leak proof seals availble out of dennis kirk for several years now and have good results.

An example, I rebuilt my forks with stock seals, went riding, did a couple 4ft step off drops and blew my seals. Put the leak proof seals in, no problems since and I like to step off of ledges pretty frequently.

Just my $.02

Mosh
01-01-2008, 10:04 AM
OEM for me all the way.

I have blown out aftermarket seals in 2 rides jumping about 5 feet in the air.
The OEM ones have worked best for me.

Billy Golightly
01-01-2008, 10:48 AM
I have had mixed results with the Leak-Proof brand fork seals. I have a pair that went in my 500R forks when I first rebuilt them, years and years ago and they have not leaked or seeped a drop since. I also had some I put in my old Tri-Z forks, and they lasted about 100ft before they blew out. And then I've got some OEM ones I put in the flat tracker, and in my 86 R, and they've all been holding up good so far. If you will spend the extra $$$ for the OEM oil seals AND new Dust seals I think its a higher quality repair, but at about $60 for a set its tempting to use the $20 leak proof ones.

Huffa
01-01-2008, 10:57 AM
I have had mixed results with the Leak-Proof brand fork seals. I have a pair that went in my 500R forks when I first rebuilt them, years and years ago and they have not leaked or seeped a drop since. I also had some I put in my old Tri-Z forks, and they lasted about 100ft before they blew out. And then I've got some OEM ones I put in the flat tracker, and in my 86 R, and they've all been holding up good so far. If you will spend the extra $$$ for the OEM oil seals AND new Dust seals I think its a higher quality repair, but at about $60 for a set its tempting to use the $20 leak proof ones.

60 per set :eek: , what model is that ?

They are only 30-35 per set (OEM) for a 84 R, 60 sounds really high, are you talking Yamaha parts, because sometimes, depending on the part verses same part on Honda , they are a lot higher.

I really thnk I will stick with OEM's, just wanted to hear other opinions though.

Dirtcrasher
01-01-2008, 02:27 PM
I think the Honda's are under 20$ per side for the "seal kit".

Huffa
01-01-2008, 03:38 PM
I think the Honda's are under 20$ per side for the "seal kit".

OH REALLY :lol:

I have the part # and everything on my 1st post although you may not have realized thoose are Honda part #'s?

Thanks for chiming in and trying to help though :beer

Marty
01-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Check servicehonda.com for prices.

Dirtcrasher
01-01-2008, 06:55 PM
OH REALLY :lol:

I have the part # and everything on my 1st post although you may not have realized thoose are Honda part #'s?

Thanks for chiming in and trying to help though :beer

Billy said 60$, and with my local dealer I'll bet it is 60$. The under 20$ I got was from Service Honda - thats all folks...........

NINJA
01-01-2008, 07:04 PM
In my experience with rebuilding forks and replacing seals, I've found that having the proper tools to drive the seals in is very important. The parts unlimited seals are pure garbage though, I know this from experience. The leak proof pro moly seals on the other hand, I've never had a problem with. They also seem to have less initial "stiction". But it's true, you can never go wrong with oem. Just my 2 cents.