PDA

View Full Version : 85 Tecate Clutch Not Springing Back "New Barnett Kit"

Meat-BoX
12-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Ok, heres what I just heard. Will see tomorrow.
It seems that the New Barnett Clutch kit was installed in the Tecate and the cable wont spring back. I seem to remember some people saying the Tecate Clutch kit from Barnett wasnt correct. I remember some saying you had to piece it together from the KX and Tecate. Is this true?
My builder is wondering if it ever worked, and I assured him it did spring back and seemed to work fine once moving. Hes not sure if he believes me. :crazy: Ive ridden her and had it a T.F. 06 MIK 6 took her for a spin and I let Garage Boy race it in the MX class, im sure they would of said something about that. At the drags people were telling me that my Basket was grooved and thats why it creeped at the line.
Anyway I told him it might be the Clutch Kit, and he was wondering if there is a spring missing where the cable mounts at the motor. He says the book doesnt have that info and im not there today so I have no clue whats up. Im looking for some info before I go there tomorrow morning.
Anyone know if the Barnett Clutch Kit is the Problem? And also can someone break down the spring back question he had? Is there a spring? Where is its located? All that stuff. Pics, Diagrams, chicken scratch, anything of the clutch setup would be greatly appreciated. Any info I can get before tomorrow will help get this Pile on the Ice this winter. Finally.

tecat-z
12-31-2007, 05:57 PM
No spring on clutch arm. You're clutch springs return everything. You have to make sure you know what year basket you have. 84 and 85 are different. So fibers wont interchange. Steels are the same. Fibers from the different years have a different stack height. Pushrods are also different length. I've been through this so many times. I actually use custom, "clearance to length pushrods" to make up for worn discontinued parts. Work great.

MIK6
12-31-2007, 06:42 PM
On my T3 if you put the basket on w/ the motor in gear the basket does not sit all the way down. no clutch. I know this for a fact w/ my motor. I would start w/ that question and go from there. Did he file the basket? If i remember garageboy has a hookup on T3 baskets.

MIK6 / Mike

Meat-BoX
12-31-2007, 09:59 PM
This will help I think. I have like 3 baskets. Who knows what is what? I was using the one Cory Sprock Hooked me up with at T.F. 06. I wish I could get a new basket as all the other stuff is NOS and aftermarket. Man this ice racer is being tough. Mike I hope to see you out this winter. Quad got rolled pretty bad this spring on my birthday:cry: so I havnt been able to get with you. Allways a fun time with you guys.:beer

Dirtcrasher
12-31-2007, 10:44 PM
Spring back?? Sounds like a binding problem, can you feel the spring tension? Does it release or have a "neutral feel" when idling in gear with the lever pulled in??

Your clutch "internal" springs should do everything. If it's not the kit causing the problem, I'd just make sure that all the right thrust washers are in the right place. As far as custom pushrods, that may be exactly what you need to do to take up the wear. I'd just make sure that the clutch "sandwhich" is all correct and run from there....

Meat-BoX
01-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Everything looks fine. Im sure he assembled it correctly. We did notice that the new kit is much thicker than the plates that were in it. So there seems to be no room for movement. As for the push rod, we were wondering if there is a difference in lengths and if so can I get some specs? Where the Clutch Cable attaches to the motor and pushes the push rod, that was a little worn. Is that just metal on metal? Flat on Flat? Couldnt find the name of that part.
Got 3 baskets and the one that came out of her was ready to blow a rib and nade my motor:eek: Is there a difference in the Clutch Baskets between 84-85?
Is there some New baskets being made like those lucky Tri-Z owners?
The # on the motor is
KHIKX250CE005641 any idea on the year of this thing?

Any info to get this thing back together would be greatly appreciated. Thx