PDA

View Full Version : ytm 200 weak spark. stator or coil?

Jim mac
12-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Im working on a 84 ytm200el. the blasted thing would start, but now its not. I put a plug in it. it ran, but now I cant get a decent spark. Now I tried another plug it fired a few times. now It doesnt, well I pulled the plug grounded it and no spark. tried it with a crusty old plug and it sparks weakly. I tried a few different plugs, a d7? and a D8 from a 200x. Ive unhooked all the wires from the bike except the stator and cdi and coil. could it be a weak stator? can I jump charging stator wires to the primary side? if so can anyone tell me which wires to splice? Thanks. btw, anyone want to buy this POS? thanks. Jim

Jim mac
12-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Last question. is there a way to test the stator? cdi? thanks. jim

Yamada
12-31-2007, 06:32 PM
When you say that with a new plug, it fired a few times. How was the plug after, black, brown white??? I don't know how to test the stator and CDI but found yourself a manual, i'm sure they explain how to do it.

Jim mac
12-31-2007, 07:10 PM
plug looks fine, no smoke from the trike, but even with a new plug, after I installed it it just doesnt spark. I pulled the plug, grounded it and no fire. jim

trizilla
12-31-2007, 07:39 PM
you can test the stator coils for resistance between the leads. a service manual will tell colors to test between. as for the cdi i have never been able to test one and most factory manuals tell you to eliminate everything else before replacing that. i would check for loose wires,bad grounds(i think all green wires will be grounds),and how bout the plug wire and cap?

Howdy
12-31-2007, 08:12 PM
I am willing to bet the stator is getting weak. I say this because I have 2 Yammies that have weak spark caused by weaked stators ( I had a good stater to change them out ). I rarely ever have seen a coil go bad.
Howdy

Jim mac
12-31-2007, 09:11 PM
well I got to checking the voltage etc. I think the end of the plug wire is part of the problem I got a erratic reading, I pulled the boot off and I get good reading. I just used a end off a car. and it seems to spark okay, I put I think a champion car plug in it and it fired a couple times. going to see if I can find a new plug tuesday. jim

trizilla
12-31-2007, 09:13 PM
the stator in your yamaha jimmac is made of 2 coils, a charge coil and a trigger coil. not the same as the coil that is bolted to the frame. i would definetly check connections and grounds first , but i looked up the test procedure for you anyway. my manual states"disconnect stator to cdi connector,one ohm meter lead to the white/red lead from the trigger coil and the other ohm meter lead to the white/green lead from the trigger coil.the reading should be 176-216 ohms".hope this helps

Jim mac
01-01-2008, 01:14 AM
thanks trizilla, I think the stator is good, it seems like a bad connection. I got a guy that says if I can get it to fire, he'd buy it, he just wants to see the motor run. if not I'll start taking everything apart. jim

Jim mac
01-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Okay I just got to playing with it. I put a fresh plug on it, ground out the plug and it gets a nice spark, I install it Im using starting fluid, it seems to kill the plug. I pull the cord I got a couple coughs sputters and even running for a sec. then pull the plug and no spark, I put another plug thats new, and dry it gets a good spark I install it and nothing, I pull it and it looks wet. I think maybe too much spray. maybe the carb is flooding it. I pulled the plug, im going to let it air dry until morning. maybe drain the carb and start from there. It does have great compression by the feel of the pull start. I checked to see a very little clearance on the intake and exh. so I know the valves are closing. jim

Jim mac
01-01-2008, 03:05 PM
okay call me a quitter, I just posted it on craigslist for a hundred bucks. guy called within 15 minutes. I say good riddance, I'll stick with the hondas!