PDA

View Full Version : bead blasting

truoss
05-26-2003, 10:25 PM
I have a dirty engine with old black paint on it, and I want to make it look good. I was thinking about bead blasting. Is that at all possible with a totally assembled engine? I called a guy who bead blasts, and he said that little pieces of glass would get into the engine if I did that. Any experience? thanks

smokinwrench
05-26-2003, 10:29 PM
That is very true them little pieces get every where. I use the glass beader we have at the shop all the time.
Josh

truoss
05-26-2003, 10:36 PM
Would sand blasting work better??

smokeyhonda
05-27-2003, 04:04 AM
I've heard of using ground up bits of walnut shells as a blasting media that won't leave sharp things in the engine. Ask around I think its pretty common.

Dan Tenn
05-27-2003, 08:57 AM
I have used the walnut shells alot. They dont strip as well as sand, or glass beads, but is the least likly to leave anything behind with a good washing.

FullBore
05-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Don't blast an assembled engine, I've seen it done, it looked perfectly sealed, it broke down a few weeks later, everything was scored with blasting grit inside, wallnut shells are an option but I've never used them myself. glass bead won't clean or strip paint, it just smooths the blasted surface, If you wanna blast a carb use Bicarbonate of soda, it brings them up like new! Honestly! and it just washes out with a little gas!

Nat