PDA

View Full Version : Shift with clutch or with out?

dansvan
12-30-2007, 04:59 AM
Hello all. I went on my maiden voyage today on my new to me 85 250R. Needs some fine tuning but runs very well. My question is this, do you guys use the clutch everytime once you're moving? I noticed I could upshift or downshift easily just by letting the rpms fall slightly with the throttle and flicking the shifter. Is this harmfull?

Red Rider
12-30-2007, 05:27 AM
First off, congratulations on the new to you R. They do shift easily without the clutch, but in the long run, I'd suggest using the clutch if you want your R to continue to shift smoothly & stay in the desired gear.

300rman
12-30-2007, 12:48 PM
my clutch is so hard to pull i simply cannot use my clutch for anything but taking off. i want looser springs but that could cause slippage.

rckstrgrl21
12-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Hmm.. I only use my clutch to take off or when i slow down to a stop.

I didn't think it was harming anything, doesn't grind, or take any effort to shift.

TwoHundredEx
12-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Theres a whole lotta people against this, and a whole lotta people that do it all the time. I personally have never tried it, but I feel if your not racing where valuable tenths of a second matter, then why do it?
I don't really think it's harmfull if you match the rev's but I definitly can't see it being better than using the clutch.
I use mine all the time and my shifts are pretty quick when I want them to be (that's if I'm not missing them all together, which always seems to happen when taking a video :lol:) I'm sure they could be a hair quicker if I rev matched and didn't use the clutch, but it just doesn't feel right to me. I guess it's just mostly preference, and what you're used to doing.

rckstrgrl21
12-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Since it is so easy to shift without using the clutch, I have never used it when changing gears on any bike, My 200x, my friends 300ex, yfz 500, 400ex.

I really don't think its harming anything.

Why do they make the clutches so tuff to squeeze if its meant to be used 5-6 times quickly in a repitition?

Dirtcrasher
12-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Since it is so easy to shift without using the clutch, I have never used it when changing gears on any bike, My 200x, my friends 300ex, yfz 500, 400ex.

I really don't think its harming anything.

Why do they make the clutches so tuff to squeeze if its meant to be used 5-6 times quickly in a repitition?

If the cable is new, lubed and routed correctly, it should be near effortless on MOST machines. Tough to pull cables are usually - melted at the exhaust, routed wrong, have broken strands and or are completely filthy.

I use my clutch when I can. When I'm racing someone through tight woods, sometimes your body english just doesn't allow it. I probably use the clutch half the time I'm shifting. I've owned nearly 50 machines and never lost a tranny yet.......

oldred95
12-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Once you learn to float the gears in its fine. I wouldn't recommend it for WOT or hard acceleration shifting because it just won't go without forcing it but if the rpms are right you can float the gears around very easily. I do it sometimes when I'm just riding around slow but if I'm really getting on it I always clutch it.

350xowner
12-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Once you learn to float the gears in its fine. I wouldn't recommend it for WOT or hard acceleration shifting because it just won't go without forcing it but if the rpms are right you can float the gears around very easily. I do it sometimes when I'm just riding around slow but if I'm really getting on it I always clutch it.

i go with you on this one also, but get used to using the clutch, as you will be able to tell when you need to upshift or down shift. you can also be able to listen to the rpms. as a guide, for floating gears when your ready for that.

personally the only time i use the clutch is for starting, an gettin into 1 st gear.
outta 1 st up to 6th an from 6th to 1st weither easy riding or hard riding, my fingers dont even go near the clutch lever.

Danold
12-30-2007, 09:15 PM
I personally like to use the clutch to shift but sometimes i dont. When I ride my racing tactor I dont use the clutch alot but if im just crusin around on it I use it.

I dont think its bad for the trans if you sinc it correctly but i could imagine it does more harm than good.

My rm60 had broken clutch cover so I rode it w/o a clutch. It did eventually start jumping out of gear before it died.