PDA

View Full Version : If you had to chose..........

wad
12-27-2007, 08:01 PM
If there were only 2 trikes being the 250r or the tri z

which would you choose and why?

ATC-Eric
12-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Its really hard to answer a question like that.

I like my Tri-Z's because their different, and you dont see them as often. My built Z is faster then some of the built R's Ive been up against.

I like my R because it is very dependible. Get on and ride without problems, but my R has not been tampered with like the Z has.

When it comes down to it, I really do think the R is more dependible then the Z, speaking from experience, though it might just be my mistakes with the Z that led me to these thoughts.

Parts are also more availible for the R.

So I think this is something you just have to make up for yourself. With me, it was availibility. I looked at an R one weekend, (shady seller) didnt like it so I went and bought a Z because I was fine with either.

EDIT: So thats one big jumbled mess for you I know.

TO FULLY answer your question being only two bikes which would you choose,

BOTH!!!! :D

Russell 350X
12-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Deffinetly the R. More parts avalibility, faster, more dependable, and I think they look cooler. But I agree with Eric, if I could I would own both !

Mrs.Mosh
12-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Well,I had a choice.
I personally feel the Tri-z is the best looking trike out there.The dependability isnt bad,if the right things are done to the Z.
I chose the 85 250R.It is a machine I can get on and ride,ride again and put gas in it and change the oil.That is all I have to do.
The tri-z powerband was too peaky for me.I mean it just hits,and pulls the front end up.
The R is more mellow in the hit of the powerband.Plus, it just rides softer,more plush.
I like the fact that R parts are easier to get,cost more,but are readily available.(for the most part)
I also do not like the vibration of the TRI-Z.
Mosh's Z's,always have been good runners.They require a little more attention to detail.

He rides The Z real hard,and can hang with some 250R'S no problem on his tri-z.

But for some reason,he has built a 250R for a everyday rider.We will see if he likes it better than the tri-z.:p
He is keeping 2 Z's,but he has mentioned just making them strictly straight-line shooters for drags.
I have been told that the Z is better handling on the trails,but have yet to confirm that for myself.I can say this,the Tri-Z has more low end grunt of the two bikes,the R gets the Z on the topend.
Either way,they are great in their own respects.Kinda like comparing apples to oranges.
But I have to say,when we are on the trail,the Z gets more respect just because of the rarity of them.

NINJA
12-27-2007, 11:11 PM
86 Zs are friggin sweet, but the 86 250R would be my choice.

luke
12-28-2007, 04:47 PM
86 TECATE
Because i dont have one yet.

MIK6
12-28-2007, 05:28 PM
I would pick the 86 or 87 TECATE!!!!!
Because I do have 1 of each lol.

Of the 2 you asked id have to say the Z. Only because of board members like ronnie, sprock and others are still making awsome parts for them.

MIK6 / Mike

maggiesboy
12-28-2007, 05:44 PM
if you are a "little guy" like I am, the Z...... gotta love the lowend grunt

Dirtcrasher
12-28-2007, 06:19 PM
86 250R - Reliable, easy maintenance, tons of aftermarket parts, tons of OEM parts and nearly as good looking as the Z. Looks wise, it's kinda of like comparing a hot Blonde or a hot Brunette. Both will drain your wallet and both are fun to ride..... and all your friends will wanna borrow them :)

The Goat
12-28-2007, 07:17 PM
i'd say it's more like comparing....a hot blond to a suicide girl. oh sure, they are both pretty. but the Z is gonna get way more looks...and it's gonna make everyone curious.

personally I want a Z, but it's tough to find a nice one that i can afford.

Dammit!
12-28-2007, 07:42 PM
1986 250R by a mile.

More dependable.

Fewer aggrivating design flaws.

Way less vibration.

A ton more aftermarket support.

Better suspension.

More powerful (stock).

Easily modded for any type of riding location or style.

They're the closest thing to a perfect production trike that we'll ever have. I do really like Tri-Z's because they are pretty damn cool looking and they have very comfortable ergonomics but I sold mine recently. Just the more I thought about it the more I realized I'd rather get a second R than keep spending money on fixing up the Tri-Z. Especially since there aren't many occasions I can think of where I'd leave my R at home or at camp and ride the Z instead. After a few long conversations with some die hard Z fans I was pretty well convinced to ditch the Z and start looking out for another 1986 R project.

Even my 350x that I'm trying to finish up is inching it's way towards the for sale block. It better start cooperating soon if it knows what's good for it. :lol:

Dirtcrasher
12-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Other than the pros/cons talked about above....

I love the TRI-Z - Sounds like you can deal with the fuel pump and the WP impeller as long as you maintain them and they are in good shape.

What bugs me is the kickstart housing.A few guys posted that "you have to have the jetting spot on". But, what if you don't have it spot? on and your 20 miles from home? Maybe they aren't that bad but CHRIS had a sweet looking Z and that thing self destructed and it's happened to a few guys other than him.

Any machine can be tempermental to restart - esp when you rode it hard and then shut it off for 15 minutes, lots of stuff gets that halfway point - but you don't expect the housing to crack when your kickin the snot out of it!

I can't think of many 250R reliability problem? Aside from the 89 clutch update kit - can anyone add a 250R problem spot/weakness??

BigTBones
12-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Any machine can be tempermental to restart - esp when you rode it hard and then shut it off for 15 minutes, lots of stuff gets that halfway point - but you don't expect the housing to crack when your kickin the snot out of it!

HAHA LOL True That!!!

I would bike the 250r for every reason that dammit said!:beer

Dammit!
12-28-2007, 10:09 PM
I can't think of many 250R reliability problem? Aside from the 89 clutch update kit - can anyone add a 250R problem spot/weakness??

They should have come with a chain guide to reduce the instances of the chain getting thrown and tearing up the case on that side. This can be avoided by simply maintaining your ride correctly (replace the sprockets as soon as they show the teeth curving, keep the chain adjusted correctly). I also would have liked it if they had used deeper threads on the engine cases so they would be less likely to strip out. Particularly on the oil drain.

That's really about it though. I've had my R forever and it's been amazingly reliable. Even if it blew up tomorrow I couldn't complain after owning it for 18 years and only having to do typical maintenance and replacing general wear and tear type parts. I'm always tempted to sell everything I have that isn't an R and just get a couple more and set them all up differently. I may actually do that someday. :lol:

DeePa
12-28-2007, 10:12 PM
both 250r's i bought needed the basic bearings and maintenance then id run the piss out of them.

both tri-z i have took a while to get going and the motors just dont seem to compare to the honda motor...honda definately had it right with their 2 stroke motor...