PDA

View Full Version : Breaking recoil ropes.

TrailerRider
12-27-2007, 07:34 PM
I have replaced the rope in my 200s recoil going on the 3rd time in 1 week. I will confirm there is no nicks/catches that are fraying rope but the 3 times I have put it in now I have not seen any. What could be causing the ropes to break? 1 was "Honda" rope and the other was a rope from home depot that has a weight strength of 90lb. The rope is littlerly snapping. The rope when being pulled is not stopping due to the spring being locked up it is stopping due to the length of my arm.. Still has a few inches like maybe 4 or 5 inches or rope left in recoil.

hondahaulic
12-28-2007, 03:42 AM
where is the rope breaking at? if your melting the rope at both ends with a match to keep it from fraying, that could be weakening it. If its breaking in the middle, you might just need to find a stronger rope. I would take the housing with you into a hardware store and find the thickest strongest rope that fits through the hole.
Another thing you can do, is insead of using a rope you can use a piece of braided cable that has that protective plastic coating on it. If you can get it fastened to the handle good and into the recoil itself, one of those shouldn't break.

The Goat
12-28-2007, 07:57 AM
get some parachute chord. it's like 660 pound test. you should be able to pick some up at an army surplus.

longbedGTs
12-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Make sure you 'take up the slack' before you pull. Other than that, Id go with some stronger line. Good luck!

TrailerRider
12-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Another thing you can do, is insead of using a rope you can use a piece of braided cable that has that protective plastic coating on it. If you can get it fastened to the handle good and into the recoil itself, one of those shouldn't break.

Well that lasted for almost a full year till this weekend. Of corse I had not ridden in about 3 or 4 months atleast while waiting on funds for new topend. I found I think what was causing the breakage. The little hole that is on top of the recoil housing where the line comes out had a small crack on the inside of the coil housing cover that I never considered as an issue because it was a crack and I could feel no different running my figner down it.. Till this weekend when it broke off. So now I have to put the extra recoil housing.

So moral of the story is if you are breaking ropes and can see no problem check the little housing hole and confirm there is NOTHING wrong with it AT ALL. Mine had a small crack that like I said I coul dnot feel anything when running my finger on it.

I am guessing the rope guide must have been flexing some when I was pulling. So when it flexed it exposed a small peice of metal and did a slow fray on it. That's the only thing I can figure and the cable just took alot longer to break.

Rich

Vealmonkey
12-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Okay, what is "a slow fary"? How about "just loot alot longer"? I hope you have an extra recoil with you instead of having to try and find one. There were companies that made recoil cable for the really nasty engines, like the bored and stroked atc90/110s with really high compression. I hope your recoil problems are solved with the new recoil case.

atctim
12-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Is the rope you are using cotton or nylon? 90 pounds does not seem like it is very heavy rope. I would think you would want something in the area of 500 pounds or so.

TrailerRider
12-15-2008, 07:12 PM
The last rope I bought was 90. I upgraded to cable and that worked for awhile. Oh and that was supposed to say "Frayed" and "Just took alot longer". I'll edit the post.

I do have another recoil from a parts 185. So I am good just gotta get the right rope now and then be done with this mess.

Vealmonkey
12-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Oh OK. I thought I was missing some kind of special "local" phrase or something. Sorry about that.

oscarmayer
12-16-2008, 11:33 AM
i was thinking the teeth that kick out when you pull the rope were getting stuck and the engine was turning it and snapping the rope. i seen that on an old rusted puller. take it appart, clean it up, replace the rope and greese everything good. no more issues.

next, you sure your puttng the spacer on the back side of the puller ? (goes under the wheel where the rope winds on).

if you use too much rope it will rub on the housing itself and get cut.

if the pull wheel (where you wind the rope) has a bur or sharp edge where the rope feeds through or touches at all, it will cut the rope.

this si stuff i found over the years back in da day. and evne now when redoing trikes.

TrailerRider
12-16-2008, 12:56 PM
i was thinking the teeth that kick out when you pull the rope were getting stuck and the engine was turning it and snapping the rope. i seen that on an old rusted puller. take it appart, clean it up, replace the rope and greese everything good. no more issues.

next, you sure your puttng the spacer on the back side of the puller ? (goes under the wheel where the rope winds on).

if you use too much rope it will rub on the housing itself and get cut.

if the pull wheel (where you wind the rope) has a bur or sharp edge where the rope feeds through or touches at all, it will cut the rope.

this si stuff i found over the years back in da day. and evne now when redoing trikes.

Yup spacers is there.

To much rope? Hmm, well never really measured it but I would be able to pull it out to start it. I could pull out a few more feet beyond my pulling length. I am 5'9". So if there is some arm conversion procedure then thats how long the cable was. :lol: It always had a few feet longer then what I was pulling out of the coil. I could put the coil in the middle of my chest and pull the cable out then a few feet more beyond that.

No burs, very smooth. As stated above had to be the housing rope feed hole with the crack. Everything else was clean and smooth.

greythorn3
03-18-2009, 06:57 AM
my 185s has a groove worn in it from the pull rope.. ianyone else seen this before and got a good fix for it?

ray

trimoto.125
03-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Try using some thin aircraft cable like the old polaris snowmobiles did lol.