PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha tri-z 125, tune up?

TheFamer
12-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Hey there two stroke fans-

Alright i am a little bit slower in the 2 stroke field then the 4 stroke. but im a fast learner, my buddies dad owns a Yamaha tri-z 125. auto clutch, oil injection i believe.

but the trike looks to be in cherry condition, im sure hes the original owner, the tires still have the rubber feely things on the sides. but its been sitting so long i know all fluids need to be replaced, carb should be rebuilt.

but what am i missing? oil pump adjustment? syncing the carb and oil pump together? what do i need to know to get this back in action?

Thanks

MTS
12-26-2007, 08:46 PM
If it hasn't been run, and is in as nice of shape as you say,,,i wouldn't worry about the oil pump sync, really, if it hasn't been run why would the cable stretch? but then again, its easy, just pop the cover off and see that the lines on the pump housing, and wheel (that the cable clips into) line up at WOT and full close,,, Make sure the air filter hasn't disintegrated n fallen apart,,,lube the chain up, giver the beans.

burnoutboy
12-26-2007, 08:46 PM
im pretty sure the oil pump is non adjustable. most people ditch it and run premix

Tri-Z Pilot
12-26-2007, 08:51 PM
im pretty sure the oil pump is non adjustable. most people ditch it and run premix

I did this with my Blaster, something about relying on a pump mixing my oil and gas didnt sit well with me. The Yt's had a cable running some kind of synchronization off the carb? My blasters was a gear driven type.

MTS
12-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Most people read into it too much, iv never had a problem with an oil injector pump on any bikes i have worked on,,

Tri-Z Pilot
12-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Yeah I never had a prob either, but when it comes down to it you have one little part that if goes so will your motor. It should be alright, I just cant trust something like that when you can just as easily mix your fuel and have peace of mind. Just my .02

TheFamer
12-27-2007, 04:13 PM
ok so enough with the oil pump, what else goes on with these things? what jets should be in the carb?

and about that carb, it does the same thing as the 4 stroke one, then once the mixture is in the case the oil mixes in right? but what if you disable the oil pump? do you need to change the jets or anything to allow the use of mixed gas?

Now on a completely different but slightly the same problem, i have a honda NC50 scooter (i know i know its bad a**) but i disabled the oil pump and ran mixed gas in it. but i have no idea how to tune the carb to run right, it will sometimes idle, but if you work the throttle you are able rev it really high then it just dies. so if anyone has an tips that would be cool.

im going to look for the manual for the Tri-z for all the maintenance.

TJ BIG DAWG
12-27-2007, 05:19 PM
No you dont need to rejet! and I dont understand why everybody "rebuilds" the carb theres nothing to rebuild! Just clean it thoroughly and put it back together!

Black86tri-z
12-27-2007, 05:28 PM
No you dont need to rejet! and I dont understand why everybody "rebuilds" the carb theres nothing to rebuild! Just clean it thoroughly and put it back together!
i use to think the same thing but i had a xr 250 that never ran right but after a needel and seat it was night and day

TJ BIG DAWG
12-28-2007, 02:41 AM
i use to think the same thing but i had a xr 250 that never ran right but after a needel and seat it was night and day

yeah but I'd hardly call that a "rebuild"...

TheFamer
12-28-2007, 01:23 PM
so you wouldnt call taking the carb completely apart, cleaning it and putting it back together a rebuild??

i am just asking questions, i dont know what the 2 strokes need. let not freak out about what needs to be done with the carb. i would just assume that with adding oil into the gas you might have to go up one main jet, just like if you are removing your snorkel or adding exhaust to your bike, you need to adjust the carb so you dont run lean or rich.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-28-2007, 01:46 PM
No you shouldnt have to rejet, the the oil should mix with the gas in the carb, not the cylinder or bottom end. I am quoting this from a blaster as I have never worked on your model trike before, but it should be about the same deal.

hadar
12-28-2007, 02:22 PM
You can run premix and the oil injection to be on the safe side. I know a guy that does it all the time and claims that it's the secret to long life for the yt. He's been running his 175 like that for years. And seeing how back when I had a yt125 and blew it up about 3 times running just the oil injection, he might be right. Smokes like crazy but at least you know it's getting oil.