PDA

View Full Version : 250SX Kicker Repair

Frankencelery
12-26-2007, 05:08 PM
I just read the post from a guy wanting to strip down his Big Red to basics. While I didn't agree, I think I understand the sentiment, and it got me thinking that I should fix the kicker on my 250SX. It grabs once about every 15 kicks. The starter has always worked, but maybe there will be some day out there in the field that it doesn't and I will wish I fixed it.

Is there a specific problem with these? Does it usually require a bunch of parts, and is it easy to do? I loathe the idea of taking apart my main ride, especially when two others aren't running right now.

Danold
12-26-2007, 05:59 PM
When I made my bigred kickstart only, I ran it for almost a year and never had a kicker problem. there is a ratchet/teeth setup in the clutch cover with a spring and should be just a simple fix.

Dirtcrasher
12-26-2007, 09:46 PM
It's almost never the ratchet teeth on the SX. There is a one way bearing on the centrifugal clutch that goes bad on the SX. It costs about 70$.

Frankencelery
12-27-2007, 04:53 PM
So...not at all like the 200x kicker, which they're talking about in another thread. Is this one easy to change?

Danold
12-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Yes. It is one assembly that can be removed as a whole. I never replaced one justtinkered with it to make the kicker come all the way back up.

Frankencelery
12-27-2007, 05:10 PM
I just looked on BikeBandit (they've improved their parts lookup- kudos to them) and the kickstarter setup for my 1985 250SX looks a lot like the 200x, and I didn't see....oh, wait a second. You said on the centrifugal clutch, didn't you? Ok, I'm looking at the schematic for the clutch, and I don't see a one-way bearing. Can you get me a little closer?

Frankencelery
12-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Wait...I'm a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**E dited*. When I went to clutch, I was still looking at 200x. I think I see it now. Under the 250SX clutch, it's number 25. Is that it? The mechanism that causes the kickstarter failure is this part?

Dirtcrasher
12-27-2007, 05:47 PM
I don't know what part #25 is, post up a linky....

The 250SX is like the 350X in the respect that THEY DON'T SLIP!! Those ratchet teeth don't fail.

The usual problem with the SX is the one way clutch. Can you feel it bouncing off of teeth? or is there simply no resistance whatsoever??

Although I don't mind posting, take it apart! There are probably 10 reasons why a kicker could fail. I can only suggest the usual problem....

Especially when you buy someone else's headaches, they could have simply put it back together wrong and MOST kickstarters have that problem.

If you get it apart, that one way clutch cannot have a drop of play in it or it's shot. If I recall, it isn't a fun repair to say the least. I think you have to hold that centr. clutch with something or ya really need an air gun...

Frankencelery
12-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Sorry DC, I didn't mean for you to have to go look it up. Here's the link:

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/honda-atv-atc250sx-1985/o/m1913

I was thinking that the item you were talking about was #25 under Clutch.

Now that I'm home, I went out and tried it. You're right, there's almost no resistance at all. It definitely spins something though, because at the bottom of the travel, you hear the ratchet clicking. Does that sound like what you were thinking?

brapp
12-27-2007, 08:55 PM
my one sx starter clutch slips its on the back sid eof the flywheel i belive but not 100% shure. and sometimes you can flean them with carb cleaner and a fresh oil change. sometimes help them out.

Howdy
12-27-2007, 10:10 PM
I just read the post from a guy wanting to strip down his Big Red to basics. While I didn't agree, I think I understand the sentiment, and it got me thinking that I should fix the kicker on my 250SX. It grabs once about every 15 kicks. The starter has always worked, but maybe there will be some day out there in the field that it doesn't and I will wish I fixed it.

Is there a specific problem with these? Does it usually require a bunch of parts, and is it easy to do? I loathe the idea of taking apart my main ride, especially when two others aren't running right now.

I am guessing when you shut the motor off you hear a wineing noise coming from the right side of the motor. You may also hear a "clunk" and the wineing stops.

Am I Correct?

If this is the case then you need to replace the "Clutch, one-way".
Honda Part Number 91101-HA0-004
Honda Description: CLUTCH, ONE-WAY

This part is in the right centrifical clutch assembly on the right side of the motor. It's part number 25. I have seen this same part go bad on at least 20 machines ( if not more ). This is One-way clutch clutch does many functions. It works to grip the crank shaft when trying to kickstart it and or pull start it. It also works to stop the motor from spinning backwards when shut off or during a failed start.
If the motor kicks backwards even a little when trying to start it or when you shut it off you will damage the electric starter gears.

More information can be found by a search of the 3WW forums:

Try one of these key words:
Whirling, or one-way clutch

Here are a couple from many years ago ( key word search: "whirling" ):
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=6051
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=10576
Howdy

Frankencelery
12-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Yep, you're right, it spins down like a turbine when you shut it off. So, I'll probably need the one way clutch, the kickstart seal, and side cover gasket?

Howdy
12-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Yep, you're right, it spins down like a turbine when you shut it off. So, I'll probably need the one way clutch, the kickstart seal, and side cover gasket?

Most of the time the kickstarter seal is reusable, and sometimes you get lucky and can re-use the gasket. But the one-way clutch is a Must have.
Howdy

Frankencelery
03-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Update: I finally got these parts installed. I ordered the one-way clutch, the right cover gasket, and the kickstarter shaft bearing and seal. The kicker shaft ended up having some play, so the bearing and seal was a good idea. Anyway, the whirring sound when shutting off the engine is now gone, and the kickstarter works every time!!! Thanks to everyone for your help on this!

Howdy
03-26-2008, 01:40 AM
Your Welcome!!! Glad we could help.;)
Howdy