PDA

View Full Version : Questions About my 1985 Honda Big Red

YooperRider
12-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Hey guys, I've been a member for a while, but this is my first post. I have a 1985 Honda 250ES Big Red, I've had it for a little over a year now and its by far the best machine ive ever owned. I've had a few other ATC's as well including a 1983 110, a couple 185s's, and a 200x, so I have some experience and knowledge about these machines. Anyways, heres my question;

I am not big on electronics and accesories, I like my big red, but I dont like the electric start, or the little dash thing with the key and the little accesory lights (reverse, neutral), or the headlight controls (on / off, high / low), or the tail light, or the Battery, or any of that crap. I had my last 185 set up with only a kill switch, no lights, no nothing, I like them simple like that, but I got the big red for the suspension and shaft drive and reverse. So what I am wondering is how I can simplify its wiring, the battery is dead now from the cold weather, can I just yank it out and eliminate the wiring? how about the ignition switch? can I just bypass it?

Basically I just want a kill switch, and a headlight that is on all the time. Can this be done with the Big Red, or is its wiring and electrical system to complex to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks guys, and I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

TravEX
12-24-2007, 11:44 AM
I guess you could, I don't really see the point. You just want a kick start Big Red? The wiring diaghram is in the Clymer's manual, if I had my scanner going I would scan it and post it for ya. A manual is a great tool.

Maybe someone else will chime in, because I think that it is not good to run the motor without a battery on it, something to do with the stator or voltage regulator or something.

Good luck, and WELCOME to the boards, you WILL get addicted! hehe

Travis

Dirtcrasher
12-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Hey guys, I've been a member for a while, but this is my first post. I have a 1985 Honda 250ES Big Red, I've had it for a little over a year now and its by far the best machine ive ever owned. I've had a few other ATC's as well including a 1983 110, a couple 185s's, and a 200x, so I have some experience and knowledge about these machines. Anyways, heres my question;

I am not big on electronics and accesories, I like my big red, but I dont like the electric start, or the little dash thing with the key and the little accesory lights (reverse, neutral), or the headlight controls (on / off, high / low), or the tail light, or the Battery, or any of that crap. I had my last 185 set up with only a kill switch, no lights, no nothing, I like them simple like that, but I got the big red for the suspension and shaft drive and reverse. So what I am wondering is how I can simplify its wiring, the battery is dead now from the cold weather, can I just yank it out and eliminate the wiring? how about the ignition switch? can I just bypass it?

Basically I just want a kill switch, and a headlight that is on all the time. Can this be done with the Big Red, or is its wiring and electrical system to complex to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks guys, and I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

You don't like it cuz your scared it's gonna break and you can't ride right? You just want a simple kickstart and thats it.....

Reminds me of my dad buying a truck. They said "it's got EFI, power this and that and cruise and tilt....." my dad replied " HOW MUCH YOU GONNA TAKE OFF FOR THAT CRAP??!!" The salesman looked confused and my father said " I don't want any of that crap, I want a carburetor and a regular window crank, who's gonna pay for that crap when it breaks!!" LOL......

Anyhoot, grab yourself a manual and have at it, these things are wicked reliable. My SX in 10 years has had a similar electrical system that never failed...

Danold
12-24-2007, 11:18 PM
I did this with my 85 big red. hacked the wiring harness to heck but i utilized the stock wires for the head light.

there is a relay for the trans on the clutch cover side that will not let you sart it in gear for the electric start. easy fix is to cut the green wire an ground it to the frame and leave the gray one pluged in.
I found this out when i sarted it and shifted into gear and it shut off.

It would greatly help to have a manual for the wiring diagram. i didnt and it took me 3 days to get the damn thing figured out but i never had any problems after that.

if you need any further help just ask :) :welcome:

YooperRider
12-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, and yes Dirtcrasher, you hit it right on the head, sounds like your dad is alot like me. Thanks guys, I guess I will try and find some wiring diagrams online here, or buy a manual if nothing else, and just play around with it a little bit.

:TrikesOwn