PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy of a TIGER fender repair PICS

Orangecnty250r
12-23-2007, 08:38 PM
OK guys if you have a cracked tiger fender even missing chunks it can be repaired!!!!! DONT RIVOT the heck out of it...take your time and you can save an ORIGINAL fender. Out of my 6 keeper tigers I do have 6 rear fenders...4 are perfect.......2 were damaged in the same way...the one pictured was the worst. I thought to myself what a shame and didnt think I could ever get it looking right. Hey Grundlegrabber this was your rear!!! Chunks missing, cracks, general disgusting old crappy decals. I have been working on both fenders slowly for 2 1/2 months now during little bits of free time

This is what I did.

1. Removed all the decals

2. 220 sanded like crazy

3. To repair the back which has angles and curves....(not an easy flat piece) I decided to go with a flat 1/8th piece of aluminum that ran across the entire back with 4 rivots mounted all symetrically on both sides to keep it strong and to reduce the thickness of fiberglass and bondo. I took one of my good fenders and fabricated the curves behind the original PVC...took a few hours for each fender.

4. Once fastened I use fiberglass sheets on the back side of the fender to bridge the gaps.

5. Bondo and weeks of sanding to replicate the curves.

6. I used fusion dover white as Tigers never had a crazy gloss to the PVC fender and it looks very natural.

Now I am no auto bodyman and I am sure a body pro could have even made it nicer but I am pleased with my work in taking these beat to crap original rears and making them usable enough again for my collection...The other one is coming out just as nice...doing a glaze coat tonight....should be done in a few days.

Orangecnty250r
12-23-2007, 08:41 PM
More pics and the finished product

Tri-ZNate
12-23-2007, 08:52 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :drool:

THAT IS Raggadellic! You cant even tell:beer

TwoHundredEx
12-23-2007, 08:58 PM
That's incredible!
Very nice work.

Bryan Raffa
12-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Great job in saving that,, it really look's good

84honda200s
12-23-2007, 09:35 PM
thats friggin nuts. great job man !!! it looks new. i know who to send my fenders to ha ha ha.

jasonb01
12-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Man, you need to go work part time at Vintage Motorsports! That is very nice work. Patience goes along way in a project like that, I'm sure.

jeffatc250r
12-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Very nice!

edog
12-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Nice job!!!!

Orangecnty250r
12-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Man, you need to go work part time at Vintage Motorsports! That is very nice work. Patience goes along way in a project like that, I'm sure.

Thanks it took alot of patience.....Mike at vintage would have made it a 10/10 job...I give myself an 8.5 on this one and am pleased

grundlegrabber
12-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Bill, Great job on the fender. Almost looks like magic! The shabbiness of that fender was probably the biggest reason I decided to sell the Tiger. I've read through your Tiger website on a few occasions, a great compilation of historical information (and BTW, the banner looks awesome on your wall!). Many people who attempt restorations are lost when they can't find a new part to replace something that is damaged and worn (I've been there myself). What do you do when replacements are simply nonexistant? Looks like creativity and dedication will get you some good results!
:D

petesatc
12-24-2007, 12:24 PM
man you did a good job on them fenders ..i'd give you at least a 9 :D :D :D

Orangecnty250r
12-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Here is the other one....this one wasnt as bad but had chunks out of the both sides of the back as well, just smaller. I went about the repair the same exact way I just had less to fill....I finished it up yesterday...I forgot to take a true before pic on this one but I added a pic of the repair about 3/4 way of the process. Man to think these went from the two bad apples of the bunch to this is a nice christmas present to myself.

Bryan Raffa
12-25-2007, 12:34 PM
2 freakin sets ...you must be real happy saveing them! great job..

boonis
12-25-2007, 03:09 PM
thats rel nice i think il try it cause there is this guy that hit a my atv with a semi and i dont feel like buy ing new fenders id make the guy buy me new ones but it happend t be my dad so ...........

vintagemotorsports
12-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Nice Job Bill,
want a job ?? (LOL) I can appreciate the time you took to do that. thats what i like about fiberglass you can work it back to shape with some patience and time , plastic is pretty much worthless when it gets like that , thats what nice about the US90s fiberglass rears and steel front boith are very repairable. Keep up the good work I hope to be up to your place soon Nice stuff Mike