PDA

View Full Version : Kick start spring in 200X help!

Pimpin89Sdime
12-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Hey gang.. in my 200X the spring was brime in the kick start.. so after you kicked it the kicker would stay down and you would have to pull it up and wire it up..
So I took it into the shop to get fixed.. the guy first said $100.00.. Now he is saying $300.00 because he has to tear down the whole motor...
Am I getting ripped off??? IS this easy to do?
help please.
Dano

Dirtcrasher
12-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Hey gang.. in my 200X the spring was brime in the kick start.. so after you kicked it the kicker would stay down and you would have to pull it up and wire it up..
So I took it into the shop to get fixed.. the guy first said $100.00.. Now he is saying $300.00 because he has to tear down the whole motor...
Am I getting ripped off??? IS this easy to do?
help please.
Dano

300$ is cheap, it's a 3 hour job minimum, more like 5 hours and the motor has to come out, top end yanked and cases split.

It is NOT easy to do. Terrible design flaw in the 83-85 200X.

EDIT - I'll bet it will run more than 300$, exhaust bolts break along with other teardown problems. This is why 75% of shops won't work on 20YO machines. If you are a REAL good mechanic and have a book, have at it yourself............

Pimpin89Sdime
12-22-2007, 08:05 PM
I here ya.. So in that case... $300.00 to $400.00 would not be that bad then eh?
Its in the shop now.. first they said $100.00 until they found out they have to tear it down.. So then they said around 300... So I said fix it .. but I was wondering though if it was a scam or what.. I know nothing about that area of a trike.
Thanks

Dirtcrasher
12-22-2007, 08:16 PM
I here ya.. So in that case... $300.00 to $400.00 would not be that bad then eh?
Its in the shop now.. first they said $100.00 until they found out they have to tear it down.. So then they said around 300... So I said fix it .. but I was wondering though if it was a scam or what.. I know nothing about that area of a trike.
Thanks

My shops are about 80$ an hour. It takes me well over an hour to clean a machine and then remove the motor. If I have the tools, I can tear it down in an hour and spend another hour with everything in the parts cleaning tank. At that point, it can be reassembled in an hour and stuffed in the frame, oil filled, etc etc in another hour. Thats 5 hours or 400$ with no parts whatsoever.

I like the 85 and under 200X. BUT, do you want to spend 500$ for a kickstarter to come back up? then maybe rings or a piston and bore? 175$ more..... Then the tires are bald - 200$, oh wait.... the fender is cracked and the seat ripped - 250$.

I love trikes, love to save trikes but if I'm 2000$ deep, I better have a sweet 250R or 350X.

Learned my lessons the hard way.................................

storm_impulse
12-23-2007, 05:39 AM
i had the same problem with my 85 X and come to find out the kicker gears needed reset. i didnt know they had kicker springs? i thought the kicker came back up with compression. if it had a spring i must have missed it.

tapper190
12-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi, how close are you to London Ontario?

Dirtcrasher
12-23-2007, 10:48 AM
i had the same problem with my 85 X and come to find out the kicker gears needed reset. i didnt know they had kicker springs? i thought the kicker came back up with compression. if it had a spring i must have missed it.

Yeah, there is a wicked strong coil or torsion type spring inside the motor. About 1/8" thick and it's what returns the kicker....

Pimpin89Sdime
12-23-2007, 01:29 PM
THanks guys.. for the good info!!! And I guess now I have a better understanding of how much work involved and what not. Soo if I sink 400.. Then its alright then.
Get this. I traded the 85X for my s10 truck with a 350 in it, done to the nuts... Stupid me.. Well I was forced to give it away or trade it off for something off road..
So I did.
Now I have purchased new maier fenders,new moose handlebars,grips,itp front tire,motion twist throttle,Cosmic quads- handlebar 200X cover, Seat cover repo from cosmic,new levers, new switch....
Now looking for super scoops,headlightguard and a feww this and that things.. So right now hoards of cash in this thing... Not including its in the shop getting fixed and all the new parts waiting for it here.
Going to be like new. going to do all bearings andf seals too I think. THe top end was already done once dont burn a drop of oil.

And I live about 3 hours from london bud.

Dirtcrasher
12-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Hey , you canucks are limited.... So if you can come out with a clean nice working machine, it's all good!!