PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting valves on honda 200

Mr.Jake
12-22-2007, 12:09 AM
I want to adjust my valves on my honda 200m. I got the manual and it says to allign the T on the rotor with the mark on the engine to get the cylinder at TDC. I cant find the dang T mark. I tried for an hour trying to find it.:drool: Does it have to be at the very top to adjust the valves or does it just make it easier? Oh yeah, and to tighten the cam chain all you have to do it loosen the nut then tighten it back up? How does that tighten it?:wondering
It rins fine i just want to start checking everything over now that i have some time. Thanks, Jake

ccdhowell
12-22-2007, 02:38 AM
I don't know why you don't see the T mark. The T mark indicates top dead center...both valves closed. I suppose you could remove the spark plug and use a flashlight to see into the hole to determine TDC, should work.

Cam chain, yeah loosen and tighten with motor running.

willrideanythin
12-22-2007, 12:26 PM
I had the same issue for about 10 mins. The T mark id deeper in the engine then the manual makes it look.
Luke

84honda200s
12-22-2007, 01:31 PM
i dont have a t mark. i have a lighten flywheel. so i turn the engine until i hit tdc. its not all that bad. i take the plug out and put a long skinny screw driver down there and carefully pull the pull starter until im tdc.

Mr.Jake
12-22-2007, 03:47 PM
thanks, ill use that screwdiver trick, and let ya know how it works.

Dirtcrasher
12-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Use a plastic straw. At just about TDC, spray carb cleaner in there and use a good flashlight. You will barely see a notch or something. You may have to go another 180 degrees or the next TDC to reach the cam on the compression stroke. Both rocker arms will look the same and have a tiny bit of freeplay in them or your not at TDC.

EDIT - Nothing wrong with a screwdriver, I've seen someone jam it in there thats why I use a straw. I have no IDEA how he got it jammed but it was in there good, LOL!!!!