PDA

View Full Version : Help, 5 mins and a breakdown!

Captainron62
12-21-2007, 06:14 PM
bought an 84 Yamaha 200E today. good original condition, owned by a farmer. ran real well during inspec and about the first 5 mins after I got home. then it just died. I was riding along and it acted like it ran out of gas, but did not. changed the plug, no help. starts but wont take gas. will only run with the choke full on. any help is appreciated. I am thinking either electrical, but checked all connections on battey, or now a carb problem.:wondering

SYKO
12-21-2007, 06:18 PM
sounds like a carb problem, or fuel delivery, first see if gas come out of the tank, then out of the gas line to carb, take carb off and clean, if its been sitting then theres a good chance there might be a buildup of gas varnish and trash in the carb, take the needle seat out as well and clean!, reasemble and that should get it, running on the choke means its lean very lean like there is no gas.

runaway
12-21-2007, 06:23 PM
hello
did you check the gas cap,try taking off the gas cap and see if it starts.

ceaserthethird
12-21-2007, 06:30 PM
First thing i would do is

1.Remove the Gas Tank and Flush it Out , than add New Gas

2. Make sure the Fuel Lines and Petcock are clean & in Good Shape

3. Remove the Carb And Clean it well take it all apart or what ever you can handle

Clean than Boil it in hot water & Blow it with a Air Compressor

4. Clean the Air filter or Replace

5. New Plug , Make sure it's the correct one .

6. Adjust the Valves

7. Change the Tranny fluid

it's all Basic's when you buy a Used 3 wheeler ....

ceaserthethird
12-21-2007, 06:32 PM
O one Last thing Make Sure your Gas Cap is in the ON Postion when running

Off when you shut it off ... Not sure if your's has this option though ...

SYKO
12-21-2007, 06:59 PM
hey ceaser, what does the boil the carb in hot water do? just woundering I have never done that myself

ceaserthethird
12-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Don't know but it works :lol:

Now i boil everything :D

rally4x4racer
12-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Don't know but it works :lol:

Now i boil everything :D

haha ha ha ha ha ha ha AWESOME

I can see how it would work - but, it is easier to check jets and passages isn't it?

Tri-ZNate
12-22-2007, 01:08 AM
I can see how it would work - but, it is easier to check jets and passages isn't it?

Or soak it int he gallon of carb cleaner solution at NAPA :eek: :w00t:

Yamada
12-22-2007, 09:38 AM
O one Last thing Make Sure your Gas Cap is in the ON Postion when running

Off when you shut it off ... Not sure if your's has this option though ...

ceaserthethird, just like you I think it is a fuel delivery problem.
those yamaha doesn't have a gas cap "switch". There is only a hose that goes in the keyswitch panel.

Captainron62
12-23-2007, 12:17 PM
UPDATE,

took the carb apart and wow! totally varnished, looked like somebody filled it with goo on purpose. flushed it all out, put the carb back in and hit the key and viola, fired up just like 1984. ran like new. Now I just need to start on the comsmetics, a little rust work ahead of me. thanks to all that posted.

SYKO
12-23-2007, 12:27 PM
good deal man!! always like a happy ending!