PDA

View Full Version : How would YOU fix this?

Dammit!
12-20-2007, 06:47 PM
This is a pic of my 350x. That gap between the steering stop and the triple should not be there. Not sure how it got to be that way (this is how it was when I bought it) but I need to come up with a way to fill that gap that doesn't require any welding. I don't have a welder and wouldn't know how to use one if I did. :lol:

As it is now, when I turn all the way to the right, the handlebars hit the gas tank. :mad:

Yamada
12-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Chewing gum between the parts... :lol::lol::lol: Just kidding.
The only fix I see is cold welding (JB weld) but I'm sure it won't hold up.

MyMistress86R
12-20-2007, 06:50 PM
If it were me...I would drill a small hole in either the triple or the stop and thread a small screw with a thick head into the hole. Not the best or most durable, but would work and could be replaced as it wore. That's MY idea...lol.

SYKO
12-20-2007, 06:51 PM
a peice of angle iron cut and drilled so that little bolt can go through it, that should give it some more area to hit at

atctim
12-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Without a welder - you could possible drill a hole in the stop and put a thin profile headed bolt in the hole - after you thread it that is.

250rfan
12-20-2007, 06:53 PM
This is a pic of my 350x. That gap between the steering stop and the triple should not be there. Not sure how it got to be that way (this is how it was when I bought it) but I need to come up with a way to fill that gap that doesn't require any welding. I don't have a welder and wouldn't know how to use one if I did. :lol:

As it is now, when I turn all the way to the right, the handlebars hit the gas tank. :mad:

Easy,,

Drill and tap a hole in the side of the steering stop, cut a small piece of plate, drill hole in plate and countersink

Place piece of plate on side of steering stop and bolt it on, then paint red,,:)

x.system
12-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Search for a 110 gasless welder, nice to have around for small stuff like that and they are pretty cheap or take it to a welder and have him lay a bead on each side of the stop. Its the fastest and easyest solution.

brapp
12-20-2007, 07:19 PM
i woudl agree with x system and shouldnt charge you much have soemone tig a smallpiec eof aluminum of if you need take it of fand send it here and i coudl weld it i am shure i ahev soem apuminum rods.

MTS
12-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Wack it with a hammer.

300rman
12-21-2007, 03:11 AM
Wack it with a hammer.

I second that.

cr480r
12-21-2007, 09:31 AM
weld it up or have a new tab welded on... Its worth the money... Half-ass solutions give half ass results...

Dammit!
12-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Turns out the frame is twisted just a little bit up in the neck area. Gonna try to find an appropriate bar today to try and tweak it back the other direction with.

TheFamer
12-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Dammit! thats what i was going to tell you. there is no reason to weld or drill into the steering steam, well unless your going to add a zerk fitting to it. but your problem is from something being bent. make sure the triple clamp stem is straight, and readjust the position on the forks make sure they are clamping evenly. you may need a new triple clamp, or worse?

the frame is twisted? or the clamps? check that out.

Dirtcrasher
12-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Maybe your just tweaked out a bit but for future repairs....

Dammit!, why don't you grab yourself a Lincoln arc welder? They are as cheap as 100$ used. They can't do much thinner than 1/8 inch but can build up that stop easily. Migs are the way to go, but without a 1000$ investment (thats new mind you) they won't do the thick stuff.

It's best to have both an arc and a mig but you have to start somewhere. The mig can fix frames, brackets and fabricate lots of thin parts and parts up to about 3/8 thick depending on the model. I run mine on 230V but there are decent 115V models too.

There are lots of good used deals out there, Craigslist is a great place as is the WantAd.

Better to buy a used brand name than a cheap Harbor Freight mig - you get what you pay for!

Red Rider
12-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Turns out the frame is twisted just a little bit up in the neck area. Gonna try to find an appropriate bar today to try and tweak it back the other direction with.I'd use the handlebars to try and pry & twist the frame back into shape with. If the handlebars bend first, well that'll solve your problem too! :D

short4stuff
12-21-2007, 03:42 PM
cut it off and have some awsome turning radius. Dont mind you low capacity fuel tank though :w00t:

Dammit!
12-21-2007, 03:58 PM
I'd use the handlebars to try and pry & twist the frame back into shape with. If the handlebars bend first, well that'll solve your problem too! :D

They're OEM handlebars. They wouldn't stand a chance. :lol:

I have an unidentified quad axle that fits nicely into the gooseneck so hopefully that will give me enough leverage to twist it back into shape.