PDA

View Full Version : Works Ultracross Rear Shock for my 350X....

350Kris
05-25-2003, 09:17 PM
...I'm looking at getting an Works Ultracross rear shock for my 350x. Does anyone have any experience with them? It has adjustable preload and rebound, but not compression.....is the compression a big deal? I guess I don't know too much about shocks. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Kris

http://www.worksperformance.com/newproducts.html

MR ATC
05-26-2003, 01:59 AM
Works shocks like the ultracross are one of the best shocks, but like you said it dose not have comp. adjustment just 17 pos rebound. the stock shock has 21 pos. comp. and 4 pos. rebound adjustments (all shocks have preload) another and i feel better solution is getting the Works "gut" kit it replaces all your internal parts (piston,valving stack,shaft, ect. ) with the same parts in there ultracross shocks. yet you retaine your stock (cast) shock body instead of the works (billet) shock body which is heavier and your stock (21 pos.) resevoir instead of there (0 pos. ) resevoir. so instead of a 500.00-600.00 ultracross with no comp. adjystment. you have a 380.00 modified shock with 21 position compression and 17 position rebound adjustments in a lighter shock.

this is the same setup i used on my 85 350X (with a differant spring for my personal needs) the one my wife stole the same one i rode at haspin last year. i compared to A 400ex, and a suzuki 400 off the same jump and the modified shock out performed both of the golf carts shocks

Kilborg
05-26-2003, 12:30 PM
For anything short of a full on race bike, the ultracross oughtta fit your needs perfect, but like mr. atc said, the kit will make it perform just as well and you have the extra range of compression dampening adjustability. If you want to do a little work and save some money, buy the kit.

MR ATC
05-26-2003, 01:55 PM
For anything short of a full on race bike, the ultracross oughtta fit your needs perfect, but like mr. atc said, the kit will make it perform just as well and you have the extra range of compression dampening adjustability. If you want to do a little work and save some money, buy the kit.

why short of full race trike???

350Kris
05-27-2003, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. Bill, you mentioned a different spring....what are my options for a spring. I weigh about 205 (210/215 w/gear) and am primarily a trail rider. I'll be riding in sand soon (anyone near El Paso, TX???). I don't jump too much. Thanks.

MR ATC
05-27-2003, 01:37 PM
Kris, spring rate is depends on a lot of things (weight,ability,type of riding) i weigh 190lbs with all my gear on and my 350X was used 95% for trails but i love to jump so i sacrificed some plushness in the spring rate for stiffness for big jumps. the stock spring is a progressive rate spring. i used a straight rate spring with a 850lb rate. which is about 150lbs more rate then the stock at its highest. the best advice i can give you is call Works and talk to there tech and he will recomend the right rate for your style. oh and by the way the aprox. 380.00 is the price for them to install it.

350Kris
05-27-2003, 01:49 PM
So all I do is send them my stocker and they'll do the install and recharge and everything?

MR ATC
05-27-2003, 01:54 PM
yep. but you should put down the following info on a index card or something;

height
weight
type of riding (ie. woods, mx, dunes, all around)
skill level (be honest here beginer, novice, amature, expert, pro,)
and your phone number