PDA

View Full Version : Oh No!!!!

chris200x
12-16-2007, 05:11 PM
How would you remove paint overspray off of a freshly painted gas tank, brand new seat cover, and new fenders? :wondering :cry: :(

steven 250sx
12-16-2007, 05:23 PM
ouch that sucks

chris200x
12-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Some of it wiped off with a rag.... but there's still alot on there. I tried to take a few pics but the lighting sucks and with the camera flash it just dont show.

Pink and purple of all colors.....

Tri-Z Pilot
12-16-2007, 05:27 PM
I know for the seat and plastics brake cleaner or degreaser would take it off, but I dont know if it would hurt the finish. You ever heard of a product called goo gone, that might work and it wont hurt either. You get it at the supermarket, I think it works for paint.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Pink and purple of all colors.....[/QUOTE]

?? Were you painting a Barney trike?:wondering :D

Eric250R
12-16-2007, 05:28 PM
If it's just a lite overspray, like a dusting, some soap and water with a good sponge should do it. If it's really on there then I'm not sure what to tell you, maybe someone here has some secret to it, but sounds like you may have to use gasoline or paint thinner. Do not however try the latter without someone else chimming in on it...lol. Hopefully someone has a miracle fix.

chris200x
12-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Pink and purple of all colors.....

?? Were you painting a Barney trike?:wondering :D[/quote]

LOL Nope. A school desk for my neice. (I didn't do this btw.... :rolleyes: )

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 05:35 PM
I've used gas to take overspray off of a seat cover a couple times before. I did it quickly and it didn't hurt the finish but I wasn't really too concerned about that anyway. I've also used gas to remove it from plastic, but again I wasn't concerned about it hurting the finish, although it didn't seem to do any damage, I can't guarantee that it would work on new fenders.
WD-40 has worked for me a couple times before too.

dizasterzrfun69
12-16-2007, 05:39 PM
i'd be very cautious but maybe some easy off oven cleaner. I know it'll take spray paint off, but im not sure what else it'll take off :rolleyes:

Mosh
12-16-2007, 05:46 PM
A sos pad with a bucket of water will pull the paint off the seatcover Chris.
Rub it lightly and use plenty of water.

Not like I would know or anything.

hinddee29
12-16-2007, 05:48 PM
What kinda of paint is on the tank? What kind of paint is the overspray? How bad is it on the tank? Just a very little or a lot? Far as the seat goes try the goo gone.
It will for a lot of stuff. If your using rattle cans to paint with and the goo gone don't work try acetone or lacquer thinner. Try a sample on the back of the seat. It may melt the vinyl. It may dull it. You may be up the creek with the seat if the goo done don't work. If anything try the acetone after the goo done. It's not as strong
as lacquer thinner.
You may be able to get a lite buffing compound and buff the tank out. You may have to wait a few days or so for the tank to cure. Or just repaint it if all else fails.

Shane

chris200x
12-16-2007, 06:03 PM
OK the spray paint is rustoleum american accents and I just read ther back of the can. it says clean up with xylol (whatever in the hell that is) or mineral spirits.

The tank syko could fill you in better than me. I guess its automotive paint with some clear over top.

The tank is well cured by now and the ovrspary I just noticed a little while ago. its been on there a few days already.

I'll do the SOS for sure on the seat cover Rob. I just dont want to ruin these brand new fenders and tank. Should I go get some mineral spirits and try it?

Tri-Z Pilot
12-16-2007, 06:10 PM
I think mineral spirits is rubbing alcohol, not positive though.

oldskool83
12-16-2007, 06:30 PM
chis...try this. i use it to clean stuff up and it may help you.

wd40...berrymans B12 carbclearner and 409 clearner. mix all 3 together and try not to smell it. it may help you. it did wonders in taking off spray paint on my 200x tank rubbers.

hinddee29
12-16-2007, 06:42 PM
I think mineral spirits is rubbing alcohol, not positive though.

No it isn't the same thing. Chris try the goo gone before you use any chems.
It doesn't cost a lot. Get the real stuff not any fake stuff if you see it. We use it a lot at work. If it says to use mineral spirits then use it. It won't hurt the plastic.
Try what Rob said for the seat. I'd say goo gone or the mineral spirits should work as well. It the tank is done in urethane and with a clear it should be ok to
wipe it down with the mineral spirits. Either way you go your going to have to wash everything really good when all done. Next time cover everything. Paint will go far in the air. At work we have painted something in side with a door open and down the street we where painting cars with overspray as well. Boss wasn't happy to say the least. Go figure who would of thought it would still be wet by then..

Yamahauler
12-16-2007, 06:43 PM
to get it off the tank, go buy a clay bar, they come with sprays and stuff but i use soapy water. i once had to clay bar an entire chev avalanche that was covered in paint overspray worked great, and doesnt scratch if you keep it clean and not use any pressure

chris200x
12-16-2007, 06:59 PM
I'll give the goo gone a shot first I guess. I believe that's citris based so I dont think it'll hurt anything. What I'll do before anything is test a small spot on the underside of the fender first. I've heard of that clay bar stuff before I just dont know where to get it.

If not I gues I'll be the first guy on the forums with a pink and purple 350X!!! :rolleyes:

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2007, 07:12 PM
There is a solvent that paint stores have - SEMI SOLV - it's allot less violent than laquer thinner, I 2nd the vote on goo be gone but then I'd try alcohol and then the semi solv.

Any abrasive pad will dull whatever you touch, lacquer thinner removes clear coat and eventually paint if you rub hard enough.

Just don't use an abrasive or any solvent that burns your nose!!

brapp
12-16-2007, 07:13 PM
hey chris try gettign a product from dollar tree called awesome . it doesnt hurt the plastics or seat. it works great for removign the coal dust and made my tri-z i had yellow again btu it also workes on over spray. ps i would not use anythign with areosol on the gastank. a little buit of buffing compound woudl also work good .

brapp
12-16-2007, 07:14 PM
ald i woudl stay away fromt h alcahola nd mileral spirits ont he gastank it will destroy the finish dependign on the type of paint.

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2007, 07:19 PM
ald i woudl stay away fromt h alcahola nd mileral spirits ont he gastank it will destroy the finish dependign on the type of paint.

ME TOO!! If it's a spray can of paint, then you may be better off just repainting it, whats 4$ anyhow? But if it's OEM plastic or auto paint with a hardner then the stuff I posted shouldn't hurt it.

chris200x
12-16-2007, 07:26 PM
DC... It's a $125 paint job on the tank... not $4!!! :eek:

I guess I'm not gonna worry myself too much over this. It's a rider not a showpiece. I'd rather live with the over spray than half melted plastics and a ruined tank though. :( I'll head up to lowes and look around first thing in the morning. I'm sure I'll be able to get most of it off with something there.

Thanks guys! :beer

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2007, 07:33 PM
I would give SYKO a PM, he knows his paint stuff like none of us do.....

Dam, do you just have bad luck or what bro?? Crazy farmer, beautiful Tri-Z you never got to enjoy, overspray.com - whats next??!!

chris200x
12-16-2007, 07:37 PM

Dam, do you just have bad luck or what bro?? Crazy farmer, beautiful Tri-Z you never got to enjoy, overspray.com - whats next??!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: So you've noticed that huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the laugh... I needed that! :beer

Huffa
12-16-2007, 07:43 PM
When I visit Chris, there is always a huge grey cloud over his house :lol:

Dammit!
12-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Careful using goo gone on glossy plastic. It took the shine off my black R shrouds when I removed the stupid Maier sticker.

randall_pitz
12-16-2007, 08:31 PM
i dont know what it will do to plastic but finger nail polish remover will work on lite over spray

DeePa
12-16-2007, 08:37 PM

now i have a beautiful z that i cant enjoy hahah...

time to get rid of that mikunijunk and throw my 39mm pwk on there to get a real carb on there. then we will see how she rolls.

note to self, throw some loctite on the flywheel nut and at least use a impact gun to install it.

Mike

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2007, 08:39 PM

time to get rid of that mikunijunk and throw my 39mm pwk on there to get a real carb on there. then we will see how she rolls.

note to self, throw some loctite on the flywheel nut and at least use a impact gun to install it.

Mike

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D Thats great!!

SYKO
12-16-2007, 08:40 PM
the clay bar is an excellent meathod of removal of overspray paint, also you can wet a rag (soft and clean) with some lauqure thinner, and wipe the parts (including the tank) with some presure right behind it wipe it with soft dry cloth, do not let that rag sit for any length of time on any parts, but as long as you be persistant and easy you can get everything off.

chris200x
12-16-2007, 08:43 PM

Mike

Dude... I almost choked on my beer reading that! :lol: :rolleyes: I bet your enjoying my misery now eh? :naughty:

Dammit! I know that wd-40 works good on sticker glue (because I've used it in the past) I also know lighter fluid works well. You just can't rub to hard or it dulls the plastic.

rugabugadouglas
12-16-2007, 10:44 PM
try finger nail polish remover

sblt500r
12-16-2007, 11:01 PM
SEM SOLVE works good for cleaning over spray from cars. won't eat the paint as its made for that. had to do my mothers mustang, after a guy spraying truck bodys got paint all over her car. i also use it for removing glue from fenders works good, but not sure if it will dull new fenders.

super90
12-16-2007, 11:23 PM
gasoline will take it off the seat without hurting it. Same would go for the tank as long as its fuel resistant

chris200x
12-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Here's a lilttle update folks,

I tossed and turned all night worried about this so I woke up early and looked in the cabnet to see what I had on hand. Believe it or not... dry gas! :naughty: Is taking this stuff right off and doesn't seem to be bothering the paint or the plastic. (we use this stuff at work to clean things as well) I immediatly wiped it down with warm soapy water tho.. I dont think you wanna leave this stuff set on anything for a period of time. I guess we shall see.:rolleyes:

honda250sx
12-17-2007, 11:15 AM
basically isopropal alcohol. good deal. glad you found a fix!

brapp
12-17-2007, 03:50 PM
yeah gla dto se eits working.