PDA

View Full Version : Pics of a 200X with 18's? NEW PICS- You decide...

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 12:35 AM
Anybody have a picture of an '83-'85 X with 18's?
I'm thinking once my 200X engine sells I'll be looking for some new tires.

I really like the look of these, http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&priceRange=allPrices&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webTypeId=138&webCatId=8&brandId=452&prodFamilyId=17494#vehicleSelect"]http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&priceRange=allPrices&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webTypeId=138&webCatId=8&brandId=452&prodFamilyId=17494#vehicleSelect but they only come in 18's in an 8" (I don't plan on getting new wheels) and I'm thinking they might look kind of funny on mine.I say that because I've raised the rear end on my X about 3"s by modfying the shock mount so that I could have room for the carb.

It makes the stock 22's that are on it now, look small, so I'm worried that 18's would just look stupid.
Heres a couple pics. It doesn't sit quite as high as it looks in the first pic, but still sits a lot higher than a stock X. I like a lot of wheel to fender gap, but I'm wondering if 18's might be just a little too much.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/Legacy44/175R/Picture071-1.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/Legacy44/175R/Picture076-1.jpg

The Goat
12-16-2007, 03:47 AM
give me some time to get em uploaded...within the hour. i didn't forget you asked me to take you some pics man. lol.

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 03:51 AM
:lol: I figured you were busy and I didn't want to be a bother.

The Goat
12-16-2007, 04:04 AM
pic from the side, please excuse the tank...still hasn't been painted as my car hasn't either.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/roundheya/new%20pics%201/DSC00780.jpg

here's a shot from the rear down low
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/roundheya/new%20pics%201/DSC00781.jpg

higher...edited now
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/roundheya/new%20pics%201/72148121_367782.jpg

here's when actually on the bike
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/roundheya/new%20pics%201/DSC00786.jpg
the fenders look crooked, it's actually the rear wheels, nothing is connected since i have the chain off and such

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 04:26 AM
Hmm, well they look good on yours, but I'm thinking they're a little small for mine. I think I'll just find a set of 20's. Thanks for the pics.

The Goat
12-16-2007, 04:28 AM
no prob man? quick question...how much do you weigh?

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 04:30 AM
I'm 160lbs

The Goat
12-16-2007, 04:33 AM
well that's a big nevermind. lol. was testing my shock out earlier to see if i was heavy enough at 275 to bottom it out. so i took the seat of and stood on the most rear part of the frame. even bouncing up and down i couldn't bottom the shock out.

however, when on it, the fenders do get about 5 inches lower....if you look at the pics. i would say it might do the same for you. but you prolly don't have enough ass for that to happen. lol.

another thing...the tires in the picture are flat. wanted to see how stiff the sidewalls were

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 04:41 AM
:lol: Yeah, I've got the shock set fairly stiff right now too.. With me on it, it goes down about 2"s. I was thinking of softening the shock up anyway just to lower it for a little more stability when riding. I didn't realize the tires were flat either.

I keep changing my mind...the more I look at the pics the more I think they'll look OK.
If I can sell this engine and exhaust fast enough, I'm pretty sure I'll grab a set of these. I wanted more torque and these will definitely help out with that too.

EDIT: Just so I'm clear on this, those are stock rims right?

The Goat
12-16-2007, 04:47 AM
i got mine for 98 bucks...and it i had a shop mount them for 20, in my opinion its worth spending to have someone else do it. i'll change a car tire all day long, but some of these tires are ridiculous. yeah, i suppose they're about .5in taller with air.

as for the torque...i saw a STUPID increase when i had the stock gearing. we're talking rev it, pop it in third with the wheel turned donut on gravel. first gear took about 10-15 feet to wind out. lol.

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 04:56 AM
Thats exactly what I want to hear.
I'd much rather top out at 50 but get there stupid fast than top out at 70 with no torque.
I don't think mine will be that bad anyway, that motor was setup for a 12-45 ratio and it's a 12-41 now. I noticed right away that my first gear was much longer with less torque than in bike. I still have to go up atleast a tooth or 2 in the front anyway to help level the chain. So when it's all done I should have good torque with decent top end.
I just hope they don't look retarded :lol:

The Goat
12-16-2007, 05:05 AM
well going up two teeth in the front but switching to the 18s will basically put you exactly back where you are now.

you HAVE to go up two teeth in the front?

ps...did you watch my 70 video...that thing sounds so badass!

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 05:11 AM
I don't HAVE to go up 2 teeth, but I think I'd like to go up one if I go to 18's. Plus, I have a chain level issue with the front sprocket being a little too low on that engine causing the chain to rub on the swingarm. I'm hoping a little larger front sprocket will help out a bit. I don't know though, I'm going to try it with 18's as it is right now, and I might just keep it like that if the increase is as much as you say.

I just watched the 70 vid... is the exhaust stock? definitely sounds badass

The Goat
12-16-2007, 05:17 AM
nah, someone lost the stock exhaust, the only thing we could find was the cobra. are those the original fenders on your bike? or the maier...if they are the maier...do they do they meet your tank correctly?

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 05:21 AM
The fenders are original. They meet up with tank perfectly, the Maires don't.

The Goat
12-16-2007, 05:25 AM
thanks a lot. well i believe i'm gonna hit the bed, i wanna get up and ride that 70. goodluck with your tires. i really like the duros...and i think even with all that fender clearance they'd look great on your bike.

did you consider an extended swingarm? the differing angle may help with your chain issue? then again i might be a fool and it might hurt. can't remember how that works.

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 05:28 AM
I'm off to bed too, thanks for the pics and the help man.
The extended swingarm I think would help, and I want to get a +2 but just don't have the money to get one done right now. Once I get the tires and a couple little things done, it's next on my list.

brrcuda
12-16-2007, 07:35 AM
Heres my old runner. I went with 18 turfs and 6" extenders. Looked cool but would slam the motor to the ground on many occasions. My nephew who owns it, still rides this trike every weekend.

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Ground clearance was one thing I forgot to think about last night. The trails I ride aren't anything crazy, but I do tend to jump anything in sight, which could turn out to be a problem.Not only because of the cradle smacking down, but the rear end in the skidplate area getting hung up a lot.
I'm going to think about it some more since I can't do anything until the motor sells, but the ground clearance is definitely something I don't like.

Anybody have any good tire sites other than rockymountain and atvtires.ca?

1upfront
12-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Heres a roller with 18's.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/lrdunlap/stuff168.jpg

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Well I went out in the shed today, trying to picture it with 18's and I looked over at my brothers quad and realized that his Chinese 2 stroke 90 has 18" Scorpions.

I had always thought they were 20's. I took the rim off just for fun and tried it on the X and it fits! Well, not perfectly but good enough to see how they would look. I'm not keeping them on there since he obviously needs them, but atleast I got to see how it would look.

I think I like it, it's not as bad as I thought. I definitely lost a lot of ground clearance around the rear of the skidplate, but the cradle is fine. I'm thinking I might try to find a set of these first, then if I can't, go to the Duros.

Hey, Goat... would you mind measuring your tires with air in them when you get a chance? These came out at a hair over 17"s.

Anyways should I do 18's? (keep in mind, I haven't softened the shock up yet, so it'll sit about an inch lower after that. And about 3"s lower when I'm on it)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/Legacy44/Picture116-1.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/Legacy44/Picture118.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/Legacy44/Picture114-1.jpg

Tri-Z Pilot
12-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Could event do 19's. I think holeshots have a 19/10/8 mx tire. But I think 20's would be the best, there right in the middle of both medians. I.E 18-22

Tri-ZNate
12-16-2007, 06:42 PM
go with 20", they look a wee bit too small

The Goat
12-16-2007, 07:14 PM
damn just got in from the shed and the temp is dropping too fast out there, my ton ton will freeze before i reach the first marker. :)

i'll check it tomorrow for you though.

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2007, 07:16 PM
20" tires seem to be perfect, you lose a bit of top end but they handle and slide perfect.

18" is just too small, the rear end smashes on everything you try to avoid or straddle. If your just flat tracking thats OK but otherwise I'd run the 20's - there perfect for my riding conditions.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah it took me a while to decide on tire choice for my 86200x, but I picked some holeshot 20/11/9's and think they are perfect.

Hey Goat, nice Empire Strikes Back reference:D

The Goat
12-16-2007, 07:32 PM
what? it's just really cold out there and i was saying that my..... would freeze before i reached the marker. what is this "empire strikes back"? ha

Tri-Z Pilot
12-16-2007, 07:53 PM
It's Star Wars, the second movie they made (but called episode 5).

The Goat
12-16-2007, 08:04 PM
some people seem completely without a since of sarcasm

honestly who refers to their penis as ton ton. lol.

sorry man for the turn this thread has taken, i'll get those measurements tomorrow though

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 08:21 PM
:lol: Hell, this thread took a turn for the better if anything.

DC: I'm not worried about losing a bit of top end, I'll be going up a tooth in the front anyway.

Tri-Z: I don't mind the holeshots, but the only one in my wheel size is about $40 more per tire.

Goat: Don't worry about those measurements I think I've pretty much decided on 20's.

I can get a set of Kenda Scorpions (the ones in the pics) in a 20x11x8 for $136 shipped. I'm still going to look around but I think that's what I'll go for if I can ever get this engine sold.
Thanks for everybodys input. I'll probably change my mind atleast once more before I get a set though. :D

Tri-Z Pilot
12-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Oh I see 200ex, your puttin the tires on a budget this time around. Turf tamers are fairly inexpensive and hook up great, but are a little prone to flats bein 2-ply and all.

No prob Goat! I'm just a little gullible and :crazy: Most of the time, LOL

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Oh I see 200ex, your puttin the tires on a budget this time around. Turf tamers are fairly inexpensive and hook up great, but are a little prone to flats bein 2-ply and all.

No prob Goat! I'm just a little gullible and :crazy: Most of the time, LOL

Yep, the entire thing is on a budget right now.
Including the engine swap, I've got a total of $70 (exhaust) into plus the cost of actual trike.
Once I start the new job in Janurary though, I'll stop being a cheap ass and start making it look nice. :D

Tri-Z Pilot
12-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Yep, the entire thing is on a budget right now.
Including the engine swap, I've got a total of $70 (exhaust) into plus the cost of actual trike.
Once I start the new job in Janurary though, I'll stop being a cheap ass and start making it look nice. :D

What??? I thought you did a great job, and especcially for that price, my hats off to you:beer

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Well thanks! I appreciate it.
I think I'm set on the 20" Scorpions, I just did a search on here and found a pic that I think Syko posted of a 250R rim with the 20" Scorpion on it and it still had a nice low profile look to them, and these things hook up and slide really well on my brothers quad so I'm hoping they do the same for mine. Thanks again for everybodys help.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Scorpions are like stock replacement tires for a blaster except better, and I always like the blaster tires other than they get a little bouncy from time to time. Great traction though.

super90
12-16-2007, 10:32 PM
I have 18'' kenda klaws that I got for 45 a piece, there a great tire just not in the snow. Id take 18s over 22s anyday but I liked my stock 400ex tires I had on before (20s). But now with wheel spacers the 18s looks sweet.