PDA

View Full Version : To buy, or not to buy...That is the question.

rckstrgrl21
12-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Ok,

So a lot of you know my bikes history...just bought the thing, went out one time and now it has a 100lb compression.

I was thinking of rebuilding it, turning it into an eye catcher. but now I am starting to think thats a bad idea, and cutting my losses.

I have an opportunity to buy a 1983 Honda 250R with a 300cc kit, rebuilt motor, hiflight seat, powder coated engine, new holeshot tires from my roomate for $800.

now keep in mind that I don't have the cash just lying around, I would have to scrounge to get it together. which is why I was originally thinking to re-do my bike so I can do a little here, a little there, etc.

anyways...should I starve for a month and get this bike, should I try to find a liquid cooled one? are the '83 250r's reliable? especially with a 300cc kit?

And also....I ride in 120 degree summer heat. I feel like if it is air cooled especially with a 300cc kit that i will overheat the motor in one run unless i am full throttle. can I just cruise around on a bike like that?

edog
12-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Have you rode a 2 stroke?

SYKO
they are reliable, but if something goes wrong that 300 kit makes it an expensive puppy to own... at least $400 or more for the top end and more if the bottom end gets hurt, since parts are rare for the 300 kit now. On the other hand if it was a regular 250 top end parts are still available everywhere. And a liquid cooled one is the best of all to get parts as every aaftermarket company on the planet suports a liquid cooled 250R motor.

800 is a awesome deal for that air fooler I say, In my opinion I would get it, but gather up the parts in the mean time for a regular 250 top end, so if the 300 goes you can just swap on your 250 top end and continue to ride, plus is a 2 stroke, and theres nothing better then that!

rckstrgrl21
Never...always 4 strokes

SYKO
12-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Have you rode a 2 stroke?

damn edoggy give this women some breathing room!!! your one of those cats when you talk to someone your right in there face arnt you? take a chill pill man and go shop ebay for some hondaline crap.:beer

dizasterzrfun69
12-15-2007, 09:29 PM
take a chill pill man and go shop ebay for some hondaline crap.:beer

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thats all i have to say. sorry edog, that was hilarious. About that 300r. In my opinion i'd say it's a 1100 bike or so if it is as nice in person as it is in the pics. but, if you havent rode a 2-stroke i'd be a little hesitant about getting it.

Dirtcrasher
12-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Hmmm "couldn't this be added to your other post"?? Who said that anyhow??

LOL, just kidding petunia!!

rckstrgrl21
12-15-2007, 09:30 PM
now you guy guys are making me want it just because you all are thinking I can'y handle it because I am a girl!!!

And....

I changed the subject so i made a new post... ;o)

but yes I like when people condense if it is the same darn thing!

SYKO
12-15-2007, 09:33 PM
lol, going from a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke is like getting off a fat woman and hopin on a playmate bunny......I guess you can swtich that around in your case, lmfao! in any case my GF rides a nicely modded blaster and she rips it up well! she could keep up with the big dogs when we were down in ocala flying down the open trails, and she was out there picking races with bigger quads, and showing them the "girlsrule" tag on the back of her blaster!

edog
12-15-2007, 09:36 PM
damn edoggy give this women some breathing room!!! your one of those cats when you talk to someone your right in there face arnt you? take a chill pill man and go shop ebay for some hondaline crap.:beer

Just a ?....Don't you have some trikes to defile with those neon colors?:beer

SYKO
12-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Just a ?....Don't you have some trikes to defile with those neon colors?:beer

at least I dont rivet duck bills on my machines:welcome: and like you ride it enough to worry about crap flinging up and hitting you......:beer

:banned:

I feal the love edoggy!:naughty:

dizasterzrfun69
12-15-2007, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=rckstrgrl21;566616]now you guy guys are making me want it just because you all are thinking I can'y handle it because I am a girl!!!

QUOTE]

i never said that. I know my girlfriend can ride with the best of them and alot of girls can. It just goes for any person, if you havent rode a 2-stroke, dont hop on one and ride it like its a 4-stroke. like alan said, its like going from a fat chick to a playboy bunny.

edog
12-15-2007, 09:44 PM
at least I dont rivet duck bills on my machines:welcome: and like you ride it enough to worry about crap flinging up and hitting you......:beer

:banned:

I feel the love edoggy!:naughty:

Next time you paint another trike with neon colors lay of the pipe...ow ya a hit of acid don't help either.:eek:

Anybody can go in a circle fast:lol:
Why you picking on my duck bill:( :lol:

You feel the love Syco?:welcome:

edog out:p

Dirtcrasher
12-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Well, if you don't like SYKO's circles then I wanna know where your air shots are? Anyone can dress up a 250R but it's made to spend it's life mostly in the air. Lets see some aerial shots bro!!

Tri-Z Pilot
12-15-2007, 10:13 PM
This went straight from helpin rckstrgrl21 right into a pissin match between dog and syko, do I see a this vs that thread in the near future?:lol: :lock:

edog
12-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Well, if you don't like SYKO's circles then I wanna know where your air shots are? Anyone can dress up a 250R but it's made to spend it's life mostly in the air. Lets see some aerial shots bro!!

Sorry 4 for walking all over your thread rckstrgrl21.:rolleyes:

84honda200s
12-15-2007, 10:21 PM
ok they wernt saying girls cant ride a 2 stroke. they were just saying that a 2 stroke has allot more gitty up that the 4 strokes. a 200x is nothing like a 250R. even the foolers had allot more gitty then the 200x. id probably stick with the 200x if its a matter of starving your self to buy the 250. just piece your self a nice looking and nice running 200x together. do the motor first that way you can ride as you think of ways to make it look how you want it to.

rckstrgrl21
12-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Are these reliable in the hot 120 degree desert heat?

edog
12-15-2007, 11:25 PM
They would be if they ere running rite and not getting to hot.

A water pumper would def be better.

rckstrgrl21
12-15-2007, 11:58 PM
can you add a water pump to them? or something to cool them down?

Tri-Z Pilot
12-16-2007, 12:01 AM
No you cant add a waterpump to them, it should be alright as long as the jetting is correct for the climate.

DarkestGKnight
12-16-2007, 12:02 AM
personally dont get it now, fix *Edited**Edited* 200x first casue i get to many projects when i find a deal and then it sits around, fix *Edited**Edited* 200x up nice, then when its done go for a 250r, prob find a better deal.

super90
12-16-2007, 12:43 AM
Yeah finish one thing and move to the next, I find myself doing that alot too. Buying things for cheap thinking im going to get them running farily easy then find a small problem and let it sit. 2 strokes arent anything to fear unless their fully built and you never rode a 2 stroke before. I started out on a 240 blaster and got the hang of it in a couple days. I think it would be harder to learn on a trike than a quad, but seeing that you can ride the 200x fine, you should be fine moving up to the 250 or 300 I should say. Itll take some getting use to from the X but youll get the hang of it after some seat time.. Just like any new quad/trike/bike.

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 12:44 AM
I don't think she has to worry about finishing one project before the other since she's selling the X to fund this one.

rckstrgrl21
12-16-2007, 01:26 AM
Man!

I put the x on craigslist, knowing it is at the shop (I was lazy and didn't feel like taking the trailer over there to get it), and a guy called tonight saying he'll take it tonight!!!! I told him I can't get it out of the shiop until tuesday and he is moving monday!!! talk about bad luck!

AHH!!!!
So...
My idiotic self told the guy who called about my trike about my roomates bike (the one in this listing that I was going to sell my bike for), thinking that he wouldn't take it since its for sale for 1100 not 500 like mine. well the guy offered my roomate 750 and a playstation 3 and my roomate jumped on it!

oh well things must happen for some reason!!!

I will still try to sell my bike, but try to fix it in the mean time.

im so indecisive (go figure, being a girl!) who knows!

HOW DO I DELETE THIS THREAD?!?

84honda200s
12-16-2007, 02:28 AM
Man!

I put the x on craigslist, knowing it is at the shop (I was lazy and didn't feel like taking the trailer over there to get it), and a guy called tonight saying he'll take it tonight!!!! I told him I can't get it out of the shiop until tuesday and he is moving monday!!! talk about bad luck!

AHH!!!!
So...
My idiotic self told the guy who called about my trike about my roomates bike (the one in this listing that I was going to sell my bike for), thinking that he wouldn't take it since its for sale for 1100 not 500 like mine. well the guy offered my roomate 750 and a playstation 3 and my roomate jumped on it!

oh well things must happen for some reason!!!

I will still try to sell my bike, but try to fix it in the mean time.

im so indecisive (go figure, being a girl!) who knows!

HOW DO I DELETE THIS THREAD?!?

its a sign saying keep the x. :lol: no for real that sucks. but now you can save up and get you a 85-86 R. or build a badass 200x.

"im so indecisive (go figure, being a girl!) who knows!" thats b.s. i know guys that are worse .

dizasterzrfun69
12-16-2007, 02:34 AM
thats sucks. I have learned that if your SLIGHTLY interested in something then dont tell anyone about it. I remember back when you could post up on here ANYTHING you saw on ebay and nobody would bid if they knew you were bidding on it. Now its a matter of who wants it more. theres still a few guys out there that are cool about it but not many. I know that 300 wasnt on ebay either, i was just making a point ;)

rckstrgrl21
12-16-2007, 02:42 AM
yeah thats true, I guess I felt bad that this guy really wanted a 3 wheeler before he left the state so, I wasn't thinking of how I wanted the bike.

But in all reality I think the hot desert heat and my style riding will be too hard on the air cooled 300r

I like to cruise around...stop...drink...go a little more....stop...drink....cruise a little more....punch it up the dunes....then cruise a little more.

not the life of a 300r, it will overheat before I get far enough to punch it up the dunes.

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Don't be afraid to ask a couple more hundred for that X than you think it's worth. I've sold some things for double what I paid, there is always someone out there that impulse buys. Or at least they can work the price down from your asking price.

badasskfx
12-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Next time you paint another trike with neon colors lay of the pipe...ow ya a hit of acid don't help either.:eek:

Anybody can go in a circle fast:lol:
Why you picking on my duck bill:( :lol:

You feel the love Syco?:welcome:

edog out:p

any one can run fast in a circle..... edog the ice racing is coming get your rig ready. well see if you have the same statement after:beer syko i got your back:lol:

Boss
12-18-2007, 12:28 AM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee59/boss6675/R.jpg

brapp
12-18-2007, 01:39 PM
dang boss nice r. but girl i think you'll be happy with the 200x if you put some money into it it has potential to be a realyl strong ride. and great cruisign bike.

AngusJustice
12-19-2007, 12:13 PM
My girl rides a 1985 atc 250r no problem it took a little practice 1 year or so!! But now she's doing wheelies in the first 3 gears!! But don't fool yourself these machines will bit you in the ass the minute you let them, man or woman!!