PDA

View Full Version : Need some info on where to start. 85r project

Tri-Z Pilot
12-15-2007, 08:32 PM
I have an 85 frame with tripples and rebuilt headset that will be receiving the majority of parts from another 85 that I recently picked up cheap. This is going to be my first project that I am going to really take the time to get stuff right instead of rushing just so I can ride (have an 86200x for that now).
I guess what I am looking for is how should I go about the resto? How should I go about painting the engine?
My plans are to take the donor frame (along with all hubs and possibly swingarm to the powdercoater), while in the meantime maybe polishing stuff and painting the motor. How do I strip the motor? Sandblast? Wire wheel? Should I use high heat stuff from a can? (Thinkin black or gun metal). Bare in mind this is not gonna be a showroom looker, just something that looks great and rips even better.

The motor is a strong runner so i'm gonna leave that be for now, (just gonna add a 38mm carb, and a paul turner high rev). I plan on redoingll bearings and seals prob a new swinger bolt (just tried to get it out today and ran into the dreaded seized one,wth polished douglas wheels all way around. New red maier plastics all the way around (except tank, will sand that), and I'm gonna use one of those 434 stainless bolt kit sets off of ebay.

I'm having a hard time deciding what color to pc the frame and accessories, thinkin blue, red, or even yellow. It's a toss up between all of those, I've already decided on everything else. I haven a new set of front forks and rear shock that I got (bought these to build one then ran into this parts bike). The only thing I am really worried about is painting the engine as I have never attemted it when it's all together (dont wanna touch the engine since it's in good runnin shape).

Sorry about the rambling I'm just really excited to have gotten this project started so fast, I just decided I wanted to build an R one day and here I am with that and an 86x (kinda funny with my screen name huh). Any advise on things I should look for or extra stuff that will set my trike off or whatever will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Ty

Dirtcrasher
12-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Ask SYKO what he did to the 350X motor in his thread. It looks great and I'll bet he used a 2 part paint and not a spray bomb.

Every one of us has had a motor that ran great and looked like a turd. I don't want to PJ1 my factory paint.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-15-2007, 08:43 PM
What do you mean by a 2 part paint? I have an air compressor and was thinkin about getting a spray gun, but am a little timid about doing that cause I have never used one. (I'm a mechanical guy, never learned about body work).

Dirtcrasher
12-15-2007, 09:15 PM
What do you mean by a 2 part paint? I have an air compressor and was thinkin about getting a spray gun, but am a little timid about doing that cause I have never used one. (I'm a mechanical guy, never learned about body work).

Auto paint with a hardner, very durable not like a spray can.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-15-2007, 09:20 PM
So I guess you use it with a spray gun then huh? How should I strip the engine though? I am thinkin sandblasting but am worried about the sand somehow workin it's way into the engine no matter how much I tape it off.

Dirtcrasher
12-15-2007, 09:29 PM
So I guess you use it with a spray gun then huh? How should I strip the engine though? I am thinkin sandblasting but am worried about the sand somehow workin it's way into the engine no matter how much I tape it off.

Yeah, thats the thing. Unless it's all apart, I think most guys wire brush it and scuff it up a bit. I think if it's covered and sealed good then bead blasting would work but I'd never sandblast it.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-15-2007, 09:57 PM
What's bead blasting, more like a steel shot?

super90
12-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Glass beads. When I painted my engine I sanded all the chipping paint off and steel wooled everything smooth, except between the fins since thats very hard. Basically just cleaned everything real good and scuffed it up. I used duplicolor high heat paint with ceramic in it though. Once it gets hot and hardens it is pretty durable. You cant just scrape it off but if a rock hits it it will chip. Its really not a bad paint if you use it right and use plenty of clearcoat.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-15-2007, 11:21 PM
The thing is I'll be workin in my shed and it will be cold, I'm thinkin about gettin some small electric heaters for the painting process. I have a propane tank heater, but I dont think it will be good with all the overspray and cleaner fumes:D

Tri-Z Pilot
12-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Damm! Still cant get the swinger bolt out! I've tried with a hammer and block of wood with no avail. Think I am going to get a 3lb sledge and bits for my air hammer and see if that works. If not I guess I'll buy a sawzall. Anyone know what a new electric saw is running for these day? Was prob thinkin Dewalt or somethin of similar value.
I figured I would also wait on the pics since everyone knows what a run down R looks like. I'll start with pics on the rebuilding process though. (I know how we all like pics).

P.S. still waitin for someone to chime in on the engine stripping/painting process, I dont want to halfass this one.

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2007, 02:05 PM
You can look online and find a basic Milwaukee or DeWalt for about 80$. The Super Sawzall or higher amperage models are more.

Kintore
12-16-2007, 02:19 PM
I was able to get a torch in there and cuter off. Saved the motor mount, swinger and frame, then just hammered out the last of the bolt reminates.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Yeah but I dont have an oxy/ace torch at the moment, plus I figure I'd have a 1000 uses for a reciprocating saw. I may even look into a pnuematic one. I'm hoping that the air hammer will take care of it though.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-17-2007, 07:05 PM
This swinger bolt is turnin out to be more work than I imagined. I tried a bfh, air hammer, and heating and tryin to spin it with a torque gun but it wont budge, looks like it's time to buy a sawzall.
I finally decided on the color scheme. All red plastics, white frame and swinger,black motor, with black hubs and accessories, Still have yet to decide the color for the seat . (an American flag perhaps?)

Dirtcrasher
12-17-2007, 09:00 PM
This swinger bolt is turnin out to be more work than I imagined. I tried a bfh, air hammer, and heating and tryin to spin it with a torque gun but it wont budge, looks like it's time to buy a sawzall.
I finally decided on the color scheme. All red plastics, white frame and swinger,black motor, with black hubs and accessories, Still have yet to decide the color for the seat . (an American flag perhaps?)

You ought to find the previous owner and punch him in the mouth :lol: , then when he flinches - punch him in the nutz!! LOL, suks that people don't just yank them out once a year, grease them and stuff them back in.

Unfortunately, your gonna have to spread the frame abit and cut it off. If you live near MASS, stop by and I can press it out for you. Lots easier when it's out of the machine................

EDIT - air powered is nice but better to grab a variable speed electric one as the faster speeds eat up 3$ blades quick.

brrcuda
12-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Well - I have taken apart a few honda sport trikes and the swinger bolt has been the worst part on each of them. I have actually had better luck with a hack saw and a new pack of blades to cut out that bolt. I bought a sawsall but it did not fair well for me. Spread the frame apart from the swinger and have at it - alot of muscle work though.

I dred taking apart honda swingarm bolts. My tecate and triZs slid right out withmuch effort.

On my engine that i will be doing soon, i plan on blasting as a completely assembled engine. Paint it with pj1, then remove the bolts and cover gaskets and replace with new. I dont know what media type yet though.

Dirtcrasher
12-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Ahhhhhhh yes.... Honda has such STRICT tolerances that unless maintained properly they get seized. Unlike the other sloppy ho trikes :lol:

I'm just kiddin bros....... Dam Tecate's and Z's, they are all WICKED fast!!!!!

Tri-Z Pilot
12-17-2007, 10:17 PM
No I'm not gonna punch him, I got a great deal on it, he didnt know what he had. I consider it saving another trike from certain doom! And it's not even one of those town whore bikes either, pretty intact.:D I tried to get at it with a hacksaw, but I think the sawzall will work better (just another reason to buy more tools perhaps). How should I spread the frame? Use a car jack?