PDA

View Full Version : ATC 500R conversion

prohemi500
12-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Does anyone know if someone makes a pipe for a 500/ATC conversion? :naughty: I thought I saw a couple of years ago where some company made a special pipe for this. I am not interested in a drag type pipe setup, it would have to be an OEM looking piece. Maybe I was dreaming! Sure would save alot of fab. hours though! Thanks for any help!:idea:

Tri-Z Pilot
12-15-2007, 06:55 PM
If youre lucky you might be able to snag one on ebay, but chances are you wont. Youre only choice is to get a custom one made by a reputable shop, but it's pricey.

Jason Hall
12-15-2007, 08:16 PM
AtcTim has 3leggeddogs old 500. It has a real nice custom pipe on It. 3leg bought that pipe on ebay pretty cheap. Maybe Tim will post up a picture.

gasmask34
12-15-2007, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=prohemi500;566532]Does anyone know if someone makes a pipe for a 500/ATC conversion? :naughty: I thought I saw a couple of years ago where some company made a special pipe for this. I am not interested in a drag type pipe setup, it would have to be an OEM looking piece. Maybe I was dreaming! Sure would save alot of fab. hours though! Thanks for any help!:idea:[/QUOTE...you can get the stock cr 500 pipe and modify it. that's what i did when i first built mine. that's the best option unless you know where a custom pipe shop is because you will have to take your bike there so they can fit it in the frame for you.

prohemi500
12-16-2007, 12:22 AM
What did you do about the kickstarter? If it rotates backwards, the rear fenders might interfere and you would probably have to build some kind of small external gearbox to make it kick forward.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-16-2007, 12:27 AM
Ive seen them cutting the fenders to allow the kickstart travel, or removing the fender when they start them. I dont think there is a swap for Honda's to make them kick forward. I know for the yz490 conversion you could use the tri-z kicker assembly to make them kick forward. I think there was an article in dirtwheels a couple of years ago about a guy that put electric start on his 500 conversion.

TwoHundredEx
12-16-2007, 12:39 AM
What did you do about the kickstarter? If it rotates backwards, the rear fenders might interfere and you would probably have to build some kind of small external gearbox to make it kick forward.

I don't have a 500 in mine but I do have a rear kicking engine in it. Right now I just take the fenders off when I want to start it, but I plan on making a hinge setup that tilts the entire fender and seat backwards and a small latch setup to hold it down. It doesn't look too hard from what I've seen and keeps me from having to trim my fenders, which I have no iterest in doing.

jeffatc250r
12-16-2007, 11:07 AM
As far as the pipe, just mod the original, it doesnt take long to do. And for starting i just take the fenders off, it takes mere seconds to do.

atctim
12-16-2007, 11:43 AM
I have the pipe off right now - I'll get some pics soon.

prohemi500
12-16-2007, 11:51 AM
That would be great Tim, maybe the pics will save me a little headache and time!

gasmask34
12-16-2007, 05:38 PM
i had my rear fender cut. as for the kicker starter when i bought the frame from 200x_Basket he gave me the extention. go to 3wheeler.org and do the search for:500r. there are some people on there that shows you step by step in building one of these great beast... where are you in ga?

prohemi500
12-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the info, I live between cartesville and resaca north of Atlanta