PDA

View Full Version : 1983 ATC 70 speed limiter screw

boneidaho
12-15-2007, 10:53 AM
I found my 6 year old son a ATC 70 in near mint condition to give to him for Christmas, and the speed limiter screw is gone. I have been to 2 Honda dealers and they keep sending me home with the wrong speed limiter screw and set nut. Does anyone out there know the proper one that I need ? A size and length would be nice to know. :crazy:

225DX DUDE
12-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Where is there a speed limiter screw? I s there one on a 84 atc70?

boneidaho
12-15-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm very sure all ATC 70's have the limiter screw. It's located on the front side of the thumb throttle. If it's gone, you will have a hole with threads staring at you:)

John,
From what I understand from you, I could just go to a hardware store and get either a 5 or 6 mm bolt. Sorry for me :crazy: being a idiot, but I don't understand your ,

#27 + #31 or #26 + #32

Thanks for you reply John.

blue27
12-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Not all the ATC70s had the speed limiter screw, the 73-74 did not. The screw you are looking for is a 5mm x 18 screw with a 5mm nut. A longer bolt would be fine if you can not find the exact size I would recommend it since the nut is to be a "thin nut" and most hardwre store will have a regular nut so go to a 5 x 20 or bigger. The book lists two screws a 5x18 with a nut and a 5 x 6 with a lock washer. Th 5 x 18 is what you want for the speed limiting screw the 5x6 is to plug the hole when you remove the screw so dirt does not get into the throttle. I am looking a a paper parts manual NOT the online diagram and it lists a 5mm screw, it would seem we have found an error in the online diagrams. All the online ones I checked list a 6mm screw but the older parts book lists a 5mm. Hope this helps, I f you need more help let me know I have a 85 throttle around here somewere I can dig it out and check what bolts in it.

boneidaho
12-21-2007, 03:05 PM
I appreciate your replies guys. Gotta get the 70 ready for Christmas now.

Merry Christmas:naughty: