PDA

View Full Version : depressed about the tri-z

steven 250sx
12-14-2007, 03:13 AM
So i bougth a tri-z a few months back, I didn't do really any searching on it i just jumped on it and bought it. Now i have been looking for a 250 2stroke atc for the longest time and all i could find were tri-z's. Anyways i've been reading up on the Z for awhile and all i can find is bad stuff about it like how the cases crack from kickstarting and the water pump letting go. is it really as bad as people say it is and how far behind is it from the 250r for like power and flat out drag racing i guess i'm just looking for good news about the z thxs for reading

steven

GoodKarma
12-14-2007, 08:29 AM
I say don't give up. There are plenty of folks on here that are proud to ride these wonderful machines. I for one, like the idea that you can get a lot of parts for these that interchange with newer machines. Take your time if you're rebuilding this. The silly mistakes are the ones that will cost you in the end!:beer

honda250sx
12-14-2007, 09:25 AM
There are plenty of guys that swear by the Z. Its all in how you do things I guess. If your kicking the snot out of your machine and it still isnt starting there must be another cause here (Carb,fuelpump,ignition, etc.) If you keep kicking and get frustrated its easy to get carried away and break something. As far as waterpump failures there is plenty of prevention that others have creatively engineered. Such as the roll pinning of the impellar to the shaft. The installation of a temperature gauge. Correctly installing all of the proper components play a part to. If you successfully own a manual and TAKE YOUR TIME I forsee having no issues with your machine. With proper maintenance and patience you will be fine.

brrcuda
12-14-2007, 03:23 PM
The one thing i miss about my Tri-z - is the crowd that gathers everytime i unloaded in it at the public trails. Ive had the ATV police even approach just to see what it was and give nothing but compliments on how different it was and "what is that thing" is usually the question. My 350x and 250r dont get those comments or looks.

I stiil have mine and wont give it up - its just too nice to ride anymore. I rode my other tri-z for 3 years as my main ride and had a blast.

Yeah the tri-z needs to be wrenched a little more and is more of a tuners bike, but dont give up. You're this far into it and you cant run away now...

Every built/restore i have done has been at some point a depressed thought on how much money in parts that i spend, but it will be soon forgotten when your riding and spinning it sideways.

Good Luck

steven 250sx
12-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Hmm you guys give me hope and yea i suppose alot of people are fabing up parts to sell to meh i guess it isn't all that bad thxs alot guys pfff to think i was gonna trade for a quad silly me

steven 250sx
12-14-2007, 03:39 PM
chris 200x i got the email but it isn't showing up in thread? but anyways yea i read about how you traded for the 350x and personally if some one offered me a 350x for the z i would take the x lol the 4 stroke would be better for me

tecat-z
12-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Well, i for one love tri-z's. I've owned this particular bike since 2000, and it's been as reliable of a bike as i have ever owned. This bike has made numerous trips to the dunes over the years where it gets run hard all day. Trikefest 3 years in a row,many trips to Michigan tearing up many many miles of trails for many many years. The badlands and local trails. It always starts on the 1st or second kick and always runs the same. I replaced piston in 04 with a fresh bore, and fibers and springs at that time. Still has original fuel pump. I am very pickey about maintaining all of my bikes and the reward is reliability. This goes with anything mechanical. Proper tuning and understanding how things work keeps things running a long time. I also have another 86Z which will out this summer. Tri-z's are fine machines, it'
s just important to remember all of our machines are getting older, and some special care is needed on all of them. Fix it right the first time, and go have fun

steven 250sx
12-14-2007, 04:14 PM
thats a nice looking Z tecate-z lol don't wanna be a turd go gold all around or slver rims all around it'll look that much better lol

tecat-z
12-14-2007, 05:06 PM
These are just the ones i run in the sand. I gots the gold brother-------

steven 250sx
12-14-2007, 05:08 PM
lol ok cool thats prolly one thing that bugs me on bikes different color rims
i fine it just doesn't look good

Mosh
12-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Mine has been bullet proof.
I run the crap out of it.
Once you know what to look for and what to do to prevent those problems,You will be fine.
The only downfall vs a 250r,is the vibration from the engine,less top-end speed,and bolts falling out.As far as racing,I have seen guys on tri-z's smoke 250R's on a MX track.Even if they are equal in skills.
The R definately has a better suspension.
Really that is all that has gone wrong on mine.(bolts)
Every ride I go on,when I get back,I have to tighten or replace some missing bolts.
And yes I use loctite.They still fall out from time to time.

The one thing I dont have problems with is carrier bearings.Going on 2 years now,and they were used before that.Still good.
Now honda's go thru axle bearings twice as fast as the tri-z.

Dammit!
12-14-2007, 08:53 PM
The one thing I dont have problems with is carrier bearings.Going on 2 years now,and they were used before that.Still good.
Now honda's go thru axle bearings twice as fast as the tri-z.

Believe it or not, my R has the original axle bearings in it. I've never seen a bearing last that long in anything before. Only recently have they started getting sloppy. Got a new set out in the garage just been too lazy to install them.

tri-Z ripper
12-14-2007, 08:56 PM
LOVE MY Z!!!! But then again ill ride anything with 3 wheels But LOVE MY YAMAHA!

Bryan Raffa
12-14-2007, 09:09 PM
chin up man ..tri z's are great bikes ..when you fix it, fix it right and it will last!

steven 250sx
12-15-2007, 02:59 AM
i do plan on fixing it right and thxs alot guys this helped me out and hopefully i'll two tri-z's soon i got a frame with extras just slowly building it up so when one breaks down i'll have the other its just reallly hard to get aftermarket parts like dg and stuff good ol canada eh

torker
12-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Steve my friend, Z's are great machines. I have 2 250R's and 1 Z. They have their own things, just like every other, new or old. Like someone said before me, fix it right the first time and you'll be rewarded with reliabilty. This is true for every machine. They do need some upgrading, but, if youre fixing/restoring you should be able to upgrade without spending any more than on regular parts. Things like banshee axles and 400/300 ex hubs will make them wider and those are cheap upgrades.
Just go ahead and fix it. Then enjoy you Z.
TORKER.

clutchcargo
12-15-2007, 09:12 AM
They are good machines. I have 2 now and they get way more attention than some other bikes. Just make sure that ALL of the bolts are in the right side clutch cover and that they're tight. There are a couple of bolts behind the kicker plate also that secure the clutch cover that a lot of people overlook. You shouldn't have any problems otherwise. There are a lot of Z people on here that can helpout if you need advice or are looking parts.

steven 250sx
12-15-2007, 11:50 AM
i think we tri-z guys need to speak up more lol and the bike isn't broken or anything yet i'm just worried about stuff breaking while i ride it but i guess that's all the fun in it right?

pickleweasel_00
12-16-2007, 03:18 AM
we don't have to speak up more often, the Tri-Z does the talkin for us :D I love mine. Other than some cylinder issues I had to work out when I first got it, haven't had any problems. Just make sure it is pointed straight when you hit the throttle!

The Goat
12-16-2007, 06:08 AM
and you have the added bonus of having the downright sexiest 3wheelers of all time.

me thinks a Z might be the next thing that goes in my shed...though it may be R powered! :mad: :mad: :mad: :w00t: