PDA

View Full Version : Posessed ATC 110

ottopop
05-25-2003, 12:55 AM
I have a 1982 ATC 110 with an electrical bug I can't fix. It will start and run perfectly for a couple hours then die and not restart for weeks.
I have replaced the CDI, stator, pulse generator, coil, wire, cap, plug and repaired a defect in the wiring where all the ground wires meet. I am getting 12 volts into the CDI and 12 volts out the black wire to the kill switch. There is no voltage coming out of the CDI to the coil and nothing to the pulse generator. All the components and the wiring ohms out ok.
The CDI box was replaced before I found the ground fault, is it possible it has gone bad? This is a really nice little machine and I hate to push it off a cliff. Any ideas?

wanta250r
05-25-2003, 03:16 AM
well, don't push it off the cliff lol

Howdy
05-25-2003, 06:30 AM
I have a 1982 ATC 110 with an electrical bug I can't fix. It will start and run perfectly for a couple hours then die and not restart for weeks.
I have replaced the CDI, stator, pulse generator, coil, wire, cap, plug and repaired a defect in the wiring where all the ground wires meet. I am getting 12 volts into the CDI and 12 volts out the black wire to the kill switch. There is no voltage coming out of the CDI to the coil and nothing to the pulse generator. All the components and the wiring ohms out ok.
The CDI box was replaced before I found the ground fault, is it possible it has gone bad? This is a really nice little machine and I hate to push it off a cliff. Any ideas?

Check all your wiring for wear spots. It sounds as if you have a wire that is rubbing the frame or motor some where and shorting out.

Here is the reason I say this:
I had guy come to the shop a couple years ago with a similar problem. His 200s would only run 5 minutes and then not start for 1-2 weeks. Then it would start right up 1st pull and run for 5 minutes and die. Wait 1-2 weeks and it would start and do it again. This went on for 6 months.
I found the problem real quickly. What happened on his was that someone ( dealer ?? ) replaced the exciter coil and routed the wire for it to where it was rubbing the middle of the flywheel. What I found was the wire would rub the metal and short out, thus grounding the system and killing the motor. Why it would restart after 1-2 weeks was the flywheel would begin to rust and the wire would corrode some. Between the rust and the corrosion the wire wouldn't be grounded out ( still touching the flywheel though ) until the motor ran for a few minutes. When you started or turned the motor over it would start the rubbing again until the corrosion and rust wore off and it shorted out again ( motor would die ).
I replaced the wire, routed it correctly and it ran like new. Total labor and cost to him was $15 He brought the 3 wheeler to me on a Wed Night and picked it up on Thursday evening.
Dusty was very upset!! Not at me though. After I fixed it he showed me the receipt from the dealer he just paid. He had taken the 200s to the dealer for the same problem, they adjusted the valves, rebuilt the carb, then replaced the carb, then replaced the CDI, Coil, and other stuff. The original bill was around $240 They had the 3 wheeler for a month and they didn't fix the problem. Dusty complained, and made a scene until they dropped the bill to just over $100 ( for the cost of New parts, all labor cost was dropped ). So much for the Honda Certified? Mechanic.

ottopop, If your 3 wheeler will run for a hour before dying then you probably have a wire rubbing the frame. I say this because it would take longer for it to wear through rust and corrosion. I would follow the wires from the handle bars down to the stator. The wiring around the handle bars takes the most abuse during riding ( turning, twisting and bouncing ).

Thanks
Howdy
P.S. let us know what you find.

ottopop
05-27-2003, 03:30 PM
Stripped all the wiring, there are no problems any where, i have discovered that i get voltage to the coil + only when it is disconnected, if i hook it to the coil the power disappears. tried 2 Honda and one Yamaha coil (all used) with the same effect. think i'll try a new one and see what happens.
thanks for your help and advice

bigred110
05-27-2003, 04:21 PM
If it has points then you don't need a CDI box. I got a 79 that's running without the CDI box