PDA

View Full Version : 86 350X ...... 13% of it anyway .

Huffa
12-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Well from listening to some of you with your restorations from the ground up, I decided to do one and only one myself, since it costs way more to do this way.

Will be a no rush project and do as time/$$ permits .

This is the 1st parts batch (all from the same guy) I aquired for a $160 but didn't pick up yet.

Thought that was a pretty good deal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/huffa/350Xframe.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/huffa/350Xparts.jpg

Nick_R_23
12-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Well you have a good start on it!

-Nick :TrikesOwn

SYKO
12-13-2007, 07:43 PM
well it may be hard to find but my flat tracker was built from a frame in the junkyard!

mike from long island
12-13-2007, 07:57 PM
I have lots of misc parts from the 85 350x I took apart.Probably the stupid parts that are not really on ebay because they dont bring much $$$. It me up after the holiday.Ill give ya a heck of a deal on all the little parts and such.Mike

200xman
12-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Gary, just remember there are a ton of small differences between the years when you are shopping for parts. I know for a fact the 85 had smaller engine mount bolts that go through the frame than the 86. Swingers are different too but you can use a complete 85 on an 86.

Huffa
12-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Yes, Nick, it's a start !

sykolincoln, your 350X your talking ?

Thanks Mike, I'll remember that for sure and probably those smaller parts will fit 86 ?

200xman, do you know of most all the changes between the two besides what you mentioned ?

I thought I read the 86 frame was beefed up a bit from 85, is that true ?

I'm not familure at all with the 350 .

Bryan Raffa
12-13-2007, 11:17 PM
nice project.. have fun with that one Huffa..:naughty:

Huffa
12-13-2007, 11:32 PM
nice project.. have fun with that one Huffa..:naughty:

Yea, be a while till I do anything with it.

Actually, I didn't plan on this what so ever and was loooking for a frame for Chris, then the thought occured to me to just buy the whole deal because I never had a 350X and this way my R can remain a semi garage queen :lol:

chris200x
12-14-2007, 12:05 AM
Got 350X fever?!?! :naughty: ME TOO! :D

BTW... How'd you come up with that number 13%? :confused: :lol: You know how much a project like this is gonna cost? I guess it wont be too bad if it's spread out over a period of time. but if I were you I'd try to find a mostly complete cheap basketcase and go from there... this way you can give that frame to me! :D :beer

Huffa
12-14-2007, 06:03 AM
Got 350X fever?!?! :naughty: ME TOO! :D

BTW... How'd you come up with that number 13%? :confused: :lol: You know how much a project like this is gonna cost? I guess it wont be too bad if it's spread out over a period of time. but if I were you I'd try to find a mostly complete cheap basketcase and go from there... this way you can give that frame to me! :D :beer

I divided the # of parts on machine by, just kidding :D the # 13 just sounded good.

Hopefully I can keep finding part batches all the time and with you having one, I have a free look out service. :D

Really, I should not have bought the stuff yet but like said before to you, new Maier fenders cost more then $160 so I look at it like I got the seat, fork assembly and frame for free.

If I would change my mind before you find frame, I'll let you know.

chris200x
12-14-2007, 06:19 AM
Better clear a spot in that barn of yours! LMAO!!!!!

You know.. I didn't know the diffrences between the 85 and 86. Good info to know while I'm searchin for that 86 frame. How come the later frames hold up better... by the pics I've seen I can't see no diffrence?????

Huffa
12-14-2007, 06:27 AM
Better clear a spot in that barn of yours! LMAO!!!!!

You know.. I didn't know the diffrences between the 85 and 86. Good info to know while I'm searchin for that 86 frame. How come the later frames hold up better... by the pics I've seen I can't see no diffrence?????

I'd like to know that too about the frames, if there really is a difference.

Also, every minute detail differences between the 85 and 6, besides the internals of motor that is.

You want to ask, make a fresh post on it ?

Seems we are almost always the 1st to get up in the morning !!! :lol:

chris200x
12-14-2007, 06:32 AM
I haven't gone to bed yet! :welcome: How's this?

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=77115

I'm sure alot of folks will be glad to see me NOT asking Tri Z questions!! LMAO!!!

200xman
12-14-2007, 06:37 AM
I hate to say this but you'll have to do a search. the difference topic has been beaten to death a few times before.

chris200x
12-14-2007, 06:41 AM
I hate to say this but you'll have to do a search. the difference topic has been beaten to death a few times before.

You know I thought of that... but I swear... Gary made me do it! :D I guess this calls for one of these....
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/chrisr200x/47itwe0ds6-1.gif

You know tho... nothing wrong with some fresh opinions.:postwhore :postwhore :postwhore :postwhore

Huffa
12-14-2007, 06:45 AM
:lol: :lol:

I love that pic.

Well what we can do, since it is brought up again, and was brought up a # of times before, is just do a search and list all the links here, be sort of a like a file then, so this post isn't a complte waste.

" Gary made me do it! " .......You LIE !!!! :D I merely suggested it !

chris200x
12-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Sorry guys but I'm all excited! Got the 350x all fueled up and as soon as it's "not too early" I'll be tearin up the farmers fields in no time!

We got a frsh few inches of snow.... :w00t: And Its been a long time since I even hopped on a trike. I can't wait to feel the diffrence betwween the 250sx and 350X. (never really had a chance to ride that tri z I owned)

the great gazoo
12-14-2007, 01:15 PM
The difference is like night & day, Chris- That's why I've nick named mine the "Caddy"! Sooooo comfortable:cool:

SWIGIN
12-14-2007, 02:21 PM
I'd like to know that too about the frames, if there really is a difference.

Also, every minute detail differences between the 85 and 6, besides the internals of motor that is.

You want to ask, make a fresh post on it ?

Seems we are almost always the 1st to get up in the morning !!! :lol:

the inside of the 2 motors are the same but there are some outside differences

1. clutch cable routing

you might want a 86 motor since 85s had the clutch cable going right under the header and they can melt (witch means the clutch arm is different and they have different cable brackets)

2. cam chain ajuster

not a big deal but 85s have a larger ajuster and a bent crankcase vent. 86s have a smaller cam chain ajuster and a straight vent.

and the 85 and 86 cam chain ajuster both have a different size hole in the cly to mount to

edog
12-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Something about the Oiling system is different too.The 86 was better.
They modified the oil pump pickup. Also the kickstarter gear ratio is different... cam journals in 86 have additional oil 'holes'. Of course the clutch cable routing.... seems like something else with the cam tensioner? I know the crank case breather tubes are different too.

The biggest difference between the 85 and 86 atc350x motor was that the oil pump pick up point along with an aeration control baffel was redesigned into the right crank case so, you could ride across the face of a steep hill and still have oil circulating through the motor. So it looks like you can't mix and match the right side crank case with an 85 and 86 atc350x bottom of the motor. I asked my local honda dealer and he told me the same thing because the part#'s don't match or change up for proper use. But , I have never heard of someone burning up their 85 atc350x motor just by riding their bike across the face of hill whether it was small or steep. I also believe that the shift shaft and clutch shaft had redesigned surfaces and beveled ends to prevent seal damage.
Some of the small changes were routing the clutch cable differently on the 86 vs 85 atc350x as mention by ScottZJ and the others.
I guess if your not sure of what can be interchanged between the two years I then go and ask you local atv or honda mechanic or parts person they should be able to help you out.
Take it easy

Dirtcrasher
12-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Front caliper and brakes are different, rear swinger, rear caliper stay, carrier, seat cover... I posted a bunch a month ago.

andnuaa
12-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Well I did a search and found a couple of other different things to the 85 and 86

1.) White plastics
2.) 86 "shorter" tank fins
3.) different front hub (black and notches for rim)
4.) different front and rear rims
5.) more ribs on the front fork boots (~30ish on 86, ~15 on 85)
6.) different cosmetics on kill/HL switch
7.) front steering stem bearings different
8.) clutch cable routing (86 3 brackets on left side of motor, 85 clip on frame and one backet on right side)
9.) helmet holder and decal on 86 right fork
10.) black top triple on 86
11.) header pipe on 86 has a extra mount for the heat guard
12.) heat guard on 86 has 4 slots while a 85 has 3
13.) the metal part on the shield has extra tab on 86 to go on the header more secure.
14.) clutch cover plate arm pulls F B on 85, L-R on 86
15.) updated oil pump pickup on the 86... suppose to have a better pick up
16.) 86 head has better oil flow for the cam
17.) decals different (on rear mud flap, no "side" decals on 86
18.) 350X on 85 seat, ATC on 86 seat.
19.) front sprocket cover has longer slots on 86 than the 85
20.) carbs have some different stock jets, definitely the pilot jet.
21.) kick starter shaft gear ratio changed between 85 and 86
22.) cam chain adjusters different (86 is smaller, not sure if redesigned to assist with the clutch cable routing)
23.) clutch cables themselves different. rubber notch on 86 to go in bracket, metal spring shielding on a 85
24.) bottom triple tree on a 86 has a grey plastic "pinch pont" guard over the steering stops.
25.) 85 rear shock has a black adjuster knob on the resevoir... the 86 knob is gold.
26.) 3 or 4 generations of frames. The later 86 frames are the best. They have increased gusseting to help keep the frames snaping on the left side above the motor mount.
27.) muffler mounting by grab bar... one bolts direct on, other has a "post" it slides over. Forget which year is which... forgive me?
28.) rear axle bearing carrier is different. 85 has the spanner wrench on, 86 has a place to adjust by plugging wrench in and pulling back with the wrench.
29.) rear sprocket --- cause of the different carrier being wider on the 86, the 86 rear sprocket is bevelled to make the bolt flush with the sprocket
30.) obviously, the sprocket mounting bolts are different too.
31.) rear brake calipar mounting brackets are different. '85 has a multi link system that mounts halfway up the swinger. 86 has like a cam thing that's sandwiches in there.
32.) swinger's are different due to the brake brack there forementioned.
33.) rear hubs are a little different too... mainly color. Black 86, Grey 85.
34.) lug nuts are beveled on 86 for the center cast rims, regular on 85.
35.) 85 tank fins have an extra bracket behind the fins that hold them "out" (86 solved the fin hitting the front forks via #2 change above)
36.) tools... 85 has the spanner wrench for #28
37.) tool boxes are different. 86 is larger and has a flat end. It has a compartment for the owner's manual.
38.) tool box mounting brackets are different too.
39.) 86 rear plastic has "No Passengers" and "warnings info" molded into the plastic. Not sure if this was on the original shipments of the 86 models, or on later moldings of replacement OEM fenders.
40.) tank warning decals different
41.) red HONDA on 85 tank decals, white HONDA on 86. Seems like the feathers in the wings are different orientation too.

Huffa
12-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Well I did a search and found a couple of other different things to the 85 and 86

1.) White plastics
8.) clutch cable routing (86 3 brackets on left side of motor, 85 clip on frame and one backet on right side)
13.) the metal part on the shield has extra tab on 86 to go on the header more secure.
22.) cam chain adjusters different (86 is smaller, not sure if redesigned to assist with the clutch cable routing)
23.) clutch cables themselves different. rubber notch on 86 to go in bracket, metal spring shielding on a 85
24.) bottom triple tree on a 86 has a grey plastic "pinch pont" guard over the steering stops.
25.) 85 rear shock has a black adjuster knob on the resevoir... the 86 knob is gold.
26.) 3 or 4 generations of frames. The later 86 frames are the best. They have increased gusseting to help keep the frames snaping on the left side above the motor mount.
27.) muffler mounting by grab bar... one bolts direct on, other has a "post" it slides over. Forget which year is which... forgive me?
28.) rear axle bearing carrier is different. 85 has the spanner wrench on, 86 has a place to adjust by plugging wrench in and pulling back with the wrench.
29.) rear sprocket --- cause of the different carrier being wider on the 86, the 86 rear sprocket is bevelled to make the bolt flush with the sprocket
31.) rear brake calipar mounting brackets are different. '85 has a multi link system that mounts halfway up the swinger. 86 has like a cam thing that's sandwiches in there.
35.) 85 tank fins have an extra bracket behind the fins that hold them "out" (86 solved the fin hitting the front forks via #2 change above)
37.) tool boxes are different. 86 is larger and has a flat end. It has a compartment for the owner's manual.
39.) 86 rear plastic has "No Passengers" and "warnings info" molded into the plastic. Not sure if this was on the original shipments of the 86 models, or on later moldings of replacement OEM fenders.
41.) red HONDA on 85 tank decals, white HONDA on 86. Seems like the feathers in the wings are different orientation too.

A couple ? :lol:

Great info man !!! Thank you very much and you other guys too!

This 86 frame was made in 12/85, can you tell if it's a beefed up one?

If it's not a beefed up one, I'd like to see someone that has one show the beefed up spot exactly, then before I poweder coat it, I can have mine done as well.

That one tab there that is a bit chewed up, what attaches to that?

So the 86's still had crappy ball bearings for steering stem while my 84 R came stock with caged tapered ones, what gives with that, why did the X get ripped off in that respect ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/huffa/Xframe3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/huffa/Xframe2.jpg

The Goat
03-17-2009, 08:06 PM

1.) White plastics

bump for good info