PDA

View Full Version : need help with 84 200s

threewheelin-feelin
12-13-2007, 02:52 AM
ok guys i have a strange problem with my 200s...sometimes it runs great other times it dosent run at all...i went for a 2 week period of it running great... then some times it will start sputtering and stall then it wont restart for awhile ...then if i get it started sometimes it will run great or it will sputter and die again....so far i have rebuilt the carb...tried 3 different carbs and different gas caps...ive kinda ruled out electrical cause when it shut off i checked and it had a strong blue spark...and i know it cant be the carb cause i swaped the carb off my good running 200s and it still ran bad...sometimes the sputtering will improove it i mess with the choke...but its got me stumped...what else should i check for? timming ...valves?

84honda200s
12-13-2007, 03:13 AM
does it still have a intank fuel filter ? if so id check that out to make sure it isnt all plugged up. then id check the valves and timing.

Huffa
12-13-2007, 05:27 AM
ive kinda ruled out electrical cause when it shut off I checked and it had a strong blue spark

When the problem is occuring or when it's running great ?

A stator or a coil when faulty can operate good cold but get them hot and that's when you can get a misfire or the machine dies all together.

threewheelin-feelin
12-14-2007, 04:06 AM
when it shut off i pulled the plug and it had a strong blue spark...i put it back in and it still wouldnt start

82'185s
12-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Sounds like my 185s, it ran great for the longest time with no problems and then it would die and not start, get it loaded up and hauled home and it would start.:rolleyes:
I doubt anyone else has had this problem but me, but mine was the plug on the cdi box it had a loose wire and it kept grounding out, and finally melted completely out and wouldnt start at all. I too kept changing carbs and stators and gas caps and basically EVERYTHING else and somehow kept missing that. Just a shot in the dark , but I would say check that.

-Ryan

Yamada
12-14-2007, 09:20 AM
hummmmm... How is the spark plug?? It is black? May be fouled

threewheelin-feelin
12-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Sounds like my 185s, it ran great for the longest time with no problems and then it would die and not start, get it loaded up and hauled home and it would start.:rolleyes:
I doubt anyone else has had this problem but me, but mine was the plug on the cdi box it had a loose wire and it kept grounding out, and finally melted completely out and wouldnt start at all. I too kept changing carbs and stators and gas caps and basically EVERYTHING else and somehow kept missing that. Just a shot in the dark , but I would say check that.

-Ryan

mine is like that but my also runs but runs bad sometimes...its just got me stumped i dont know what to do

82'185s
12-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Have you tried cleaning out your tank and putting fresh gas in it, maybe its got water in there and every now and then it sucks some up??
I have had this prob to before.

-Ryan

threewheelin-feelin
12-15-2007, 02:44 AM
the tank looks pretty clean and ive run a few tanks of gas now

scrawny
12-15-2007, 02:51 AM
check and clean the petcock:: next time it quits put a small amount of gas in the spark plug hole, if she fires it has something to do with the fuel delivery up stream from there :)