PDA

View Full Version : will 3 wheelers be back

trike handler
12-11-2007, 11:32 PM
i am new to threewheelerworld, and i was reading people that hate three wheelers, i read atc conscent decree expired april 27th 1998. and it said beside history of litigation and basic defective design (they don't know how to lean), there is no reason atv industry cannot resume marketing and manufacturing atc's. So why don't they bring them back. Maybe only sell to people who take a test to reduce reasons company's get sued for. i think 3 wheelers will take off if you put them on the market, just make restrictions to people who they sell to. I just want to know other peoples feelings and opinions about this

tecat-z
12-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Welcome to the boards. But in truth, we will never see a production 3wheeler in our lifetime. As much as we would like to see one, just aint gonna happen. So keep what you have running for as long as you can, and enjoy the ride.

Threes company
12-12-2007, 12:04 AM
When three wheelers were "banned", for choice of a better word, this country was no where near as sue crazy as it is now. I can't see any major manufacturer sticking their necks out just to bring back trikes as they have their hands full now fending of law-suits over quad accidents. Just like 60 Minutes with the Jeep CJ-5...... once they got their teeth into the "roll-over risk" associated with 4x4's with a high center of gravity...... it was all over. Now if a smaller type company was to come out with a low production 3 wheeler....... aimed at just the hardcore type..... hmmmmmm???? But still, it just takes one fool, "burning themselves" because their "coffee was too hot"" (remember that at McDonalds?) and going sue happy that ends up ruining it for everyone. :mad:

bushwacker51
12-12-2007, 12:24 AM
I enjoy my new 2007 125cc 3 wheeler. Its great. Glenn O.

cr480r
12-12-2007, 12:30 AM
There isn't enough market for them to be anywhere close to profitable enough for any manufacturer to even have interest, let alone risk the lawsuits... You will never see another new 3-wheeled atv manufactured or sold again in this country...

Rustytinhorn
12-12-2007, 01:37 AM
In a nutshell, once the consent decrees expired in 1998, Honda, Yamaha, and the couple other major producers agreed to still not produce 3 wheelers. Specifically why and how, I cant remember off the top of my head. Would have to read up on it again. However, right now the CPSC is working on and already has drafted a new bill that would not allow any three wheelers to be imported into the u.s. Right now the 3 wheeler restrictions only effect Honda, yamaha, and a few other big name-brand companys. If you where to start up your own 3 wheeled company, you could still produce them in the U.S. as of right now. But when this bill passes, it will put a stop to all new 3 wheelers, specifically targeting the off-brand chinese import ones being brought into the U.S. If you want an import onbe you had better hurry and get one before they pass this bill. However it cannot be a Honda, yamaha, etc... It would have to be an off-brand one.

TwoHundredEx
12-12-2007, 01:40 AM
So, since you can't import into the U.S, does that mean that I can't import from the U.S into Canada? I don't really have much interest in doing so, just wondering really.

Rustytinhorn
12-12-2007, 02:26 AM
I would imagine if it were your personal vehicle you would still be able to. I think what they dont want is someone mass producing them in China (or Canada) and importing and selling them in the U.S. as a business.

whipit
12-12-2007, 12:41 PM
You will never see mass produced 3 wheelers again, thank the greedy blood sucking lawyers, the tree hugging greenie wheenies and the corrupt politicians, all of which sit in their mansions on the hill and think of ways to 1) get richer 2) control the lives of average , non-rich, non-powerful people

johnny's X
12-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Were is that picture of the guy beating the dead horse. This thread is perfect for it.

brapp
12-12-2007, 01:50 PM
if you cant buy one build it!i have been buildign up a 450r powered 350x with some modern twist. check otu the mad scientist for a few of the closest things you can get to a new trike?

300rman
12-12-2007, 07:56 PM
i still think it would be easier to modify a quad front end than make a dirtbike into a trike. with the dirtbike, you must still mod the front while reworking the rear. with a quad, you qould basically chop off everything north of the motor and make a simple 3 wheeler front end. you would have to use some heavier dirtbike forks because of weight dispersion, but it would be easier them messing with the swinger and lining things up.

my opinion anyway, if i had the money, i would get a new quad and chop it to pieces.

Chevy200s
12-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Funny you mention that 300rman, I know there was someone on the other website who started doing that to a 450R but I dont remember who it was or whatever happened with it. I just remember a picture of him holding a saw and the front of the thing cut off haha. But yeah I think that while we are all wanting these things to come back again in full scale production from the big companies, if that was even possible (which I'm not saying it is just pointing this out) it would have to start out small. Like garage built trikes, custom jobs things like that, eventually you see more and more Extreme atv 3 wheelers or similar, more trikes like Derricks Z and 250rfan's 450 ATC its all gotta start somewhere. I remember when I first got on this website and saw that photoshopped picture of the "new" atc 450r, I couldnt stop thinking about how cool it was but I never saw anyone actually making it. If you even mentioned that on here back then most people would laugh at you or say stop dreamin you'll never see it. now we have a forum just for these kinds of projects and they are slowly starting to pop up out of the wood work. While I cant say that trikes will ever be built again on the scale we saw back in the day, they seem to be on the right track now. If we've had say 3 or 4 "new" trikes built in the last 2 years, think of how many might come up in the following 2 years, probably closer to 10 or 15, and it will just get bigger, who knows?

SYKO
12-12-2007, 09:07 PM
your talking about "blacksheep" or mratc...as many know off on 3wweeler.org he cut up a trx and so far hasnt produced any finished pics that I know of.

trike handler
12-12-2007, 11:30 PM
how do you think the balance would be on turns if you used a quad front end and a dirtbike rear end? would it be the same as a quad or a even high chance of rolling? i have a magazine article about a motorcycle that was made like that except the motorcycle leaned side to side.

Rustytinhorn
12-13-2007, 02:17 AM
how do you think the balance would be on turns if you used a quad front end and a dirtbike rear end? would it be the same as a quad or a even high chance of rolling? i have a magazine article about a motorcycle that was made like that except the motorcycle leaned side to side.

Put a missile kit on a trx250r. :lol:

Darius1502
12-14-2007, 12:09 AM
I enjoy my new 2007 125cc 3 wheeler. Its great. Glenn O.

Its not made by the Big 4, but this must be at least as fun as an ATC 70, right?

Or am I nuts? At least it something...and a good start!! None of the 70's came with full suspension or 125cc!! (he he!!). I don't know about the craftsmanship. Maybe Bushwacker can fill us in?

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57145&d=1197433382