PDA

View Full Version : Can this spare 300R cylinder be fixed?

Huffa
12-11-2007, 09:54 PM
I guess with how deep the gouges are, a bore job is out of the question, can it be resleeved or is it junk ? If it can be sleeved, how much approx would that be, anyone know ?

Could it be resleeved a bit smaller or larger to accept a piston that is more available then the 300 one ?

The broken fin, that's no big deal, right ? It could just be cut and filed smooth? Could it be welded back in place ?

The head dome, does that look like detonation on the one area, must that be resurfaced or can that be just sanded ?

SYKO
12-11-2007, 09:56 PM
ive gotten resleeve quots from $350 to $600 this includes new gaskets and the newer style piston for it as well, I plan on going this rought soon since my seeve is screwed as well.

edit: after looking at your post man!! you have so much sleeve yet that can be bored out!! mine was going to its last bore and is WAY thinner than that!

cr480r
12-11-2007, 10:01 PM
The sleeve appears to have alot of meat left.. What bore size is it on? What sizes are pistons available in? The cooling fin can be trimmed and filed... I have one on my 480 like that I never even noticed. The head could also be also be fixed

Huffa
12-11-2007, 10:06 PM
ive gotten resleeve quots from $350 to $600 this includes new gaskets and the newer style piston for it as well, I plan on going this rought soon since my seeve is screwed as well.

edit: after looking at your post man!! you have so much sleeve yet that can be bored out!! mine was going to its last bore and is WAY thinner than that!

REALLY ?? You think it's still borable, cool man, I'll have a shop check it out!

I don't understand your resleeve quote logic though, I thought a whole 300 kit with piston in good shape that you see on ebay from time to time goes for between 4 and 500 , so why repair yours or don't they come up that often on ebay ?

Am I wrong about what they go for ?

Huffa
12-11-2007, 10:09 PM
The sleeve appears to have alot of meat left.. What bore size is it on? What sizes are pistons available in? The cooling fin can be trimmed and filed... I have one on my 480 like that I never even noticed. The head could also be also be fixed

I know zilch about it, it came (a spare) with my 300R when I bought it, possibly it was never bored ?

No idea what piston I could use with it either since they are not available anymore.

cr480r
12-11-2007, 10:39 PM
INo idea what piston I could use with it either since they are not available anymore.

You may have to get creative with the wiseco catalog to find a suitable replacement... then have the head cut to match the new pistons dome