PDA

View Full Version : Sooooo, I guess were into lightening flywheels....

Dirtcrasher
12-11-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm just wondering? Why the heck are they so heavy in the first place? They keep things rolling and it must help you out when your bogging down a bit.

But the craze is to "lighten" your flywheel which allows your motor to rev quicker....

But, does it stall easier? Is it less of a "trail tractor" when it's lightened?

Isn't this why 2 strokes have teenie tiny flys and thumpers have a bit of junk in the trunk??

Whats the dealio??? OPINIONS??.....................

atctim
12-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Dirtcrasher,

You pretty much have the exact Idea down as to flywheel weight VS light. So what was your question......................The flywheel weight help the engine keep inertia when say you just "pop" the clutch.

Tri-ZNate
12-11-2007, 08:56 PM
I could use some junk in my tri-z's trunk :lol:. Since you can lighten a flywheel, can you also add weight? I know it would have to be PERFECTLY balanced, but do people do it?

Billy Golightly
12-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Flywheel weight (and even the size, diameter!) are important and are in direct relation of the crankshaft mass/weight and also what the machine its powering weighs.

Black86tri-z
12-11-2007, 09:05 PM
sblt on the boards lightens them and balances them

Dirtcrasher
12-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Yeah, well I have a lathe and can lighten mine. But SHOULD it be done? Or is there an amount that achieves the best of both worlds? Come to think of it, the BANSHEE has a big old fly... But that boy also has 2 rods to rip.

I just wonder if it is a nice mod or does it help in some areas and hurt in others such as momentum when off the throttle.

honda250sx
12-11-2007, 09:10 PM
ronnie does as well correct?

cr480r
12-11-2007, 09:23 PM
It really depends on what you use the bike for... It definately makes an engine more responsive and "feel" faster, but in both of my experiences with lightened flywheels the bike was actually slower due to the loss of traction... Wheelies are less controllable.. and technical terrain requires alot more rider input with less flywheel mass...

deathman53
12-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Yep, ever try to ride a 250r with a cr250r ignition on tight trails??? You will see the need for those "junk in the trunk" flywheels. For MX, I like the lighter flywheels however do stall alot easier.

cr480r
12-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Yep, ever try to ride a 250r with a cr250r ignition on tight trails???

Or a Tecate with a KX ignition?:D

Rustytinhorn
12-12-2007, 01:48 AM
I have no experience with lightened flywheels, but my personal opinion is that Honda probably built the best high-performance flywheel they could. They probably did countless tests and whatnot to come to the design, shape, and weight they did. My 2 cents.

Liquid-Darkness
12-12-2007, 10:15 AM
I got my flywheel lightened on my 350x. Ron did it and it looks great. Works great also. The stalling though, its not bad. The clutch does catch a little bit farther when the clutch is letting out. I mean if you are like a chick that never drove stick before and keep stalling. Its all in your head. Buck up and hit that gas man! I bet with a 350x if someone let you ride it with out telling you it had a lightened flywheel, you would never know and think it took off like normal. Theres just that much difference. The engine reving how ever, it makes them quick. My 350x has a 12:1 and flywheel mod. After the flywheel mod, my gears pulled and reved equally. I could hit the gas in second and then hit the gas in 6th and it revs just as hard.:D and I weigh 300+ pounds! A+ for the flywheel mods.

Yamahondaman
12-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Ya Liquid , you also got the Christmass Special.. ;)
As far as people wanting Lightened Flywheel's- it's better to GIT a spare and Compair just incase you don't like it ... Banshee's and TRI-Z's Love em

84honda200s
12-12-2007, 01:17 PM
ive got a lighten fly wheel on my auto-x that Ronnie did for me. it has better throttle response and almost sounds like a high wound thumper (kinda like a cross breed of thumper and pinger). i love it and yes i notice a difference in its performance.

brapp
12-12-2007, 01:42 PM
i have added 4.8 oz to my 250r flywheel and i can drop the clutch on my drag r in 3rd gear and 22 inch mud buster tires and not loose hardly and momentum on the starts and the revs dont really drop at all. it helps me out of the hole but then again i have a totaly diffrent style than alot of other people.

cr480r
12-12-2007, 06:17 PM
After the flywheel mod, my gears pulled and reved equally. I could hit the gas in second and then hit the gas in 6th and it revs just as hard.

Wheelspin?