PDA

View Full Version : Loss of compression??

Tryzeedudeman
12-10-2007, 06:53 PM
'85.5 Tri Z 250: I just got my cylinder bored with my piston and waiting on some gaskets, then i'm gonna throw her together. My concern that this thread is intended for relates to the reason it lost compression in the first place. When i took it apart all that was wrong was the rings were forged into the ring grooves(dont know the correct term). The bore was allright, had it bored 6 over anyway, and the crank was turning over fine. I want to make sure there is nothing i'm over looking before i put it back together. Any advise is appriciated, thanks

DeePa
12-10-2007, 07:04 PM
well try to figure why the rings forged into the grooves...

did you ever run this trike? did you just buy it?

did it get really hot? hows the waterpump/impeller/seal?

if it was just the rings, use new gaskets, reassemble, and youll be set.

Mike

Tryzeedudeman
12-10-2007, 09:29 PM
I did run it several times, pretty hard for like 6 hour days at a time. Although, I didnt buy it with a freshly rebuilt top end. I tried to save the piston but pullling the rings out messed up the grooves pretty bad. Didnt notice the overheat light come on and just put a newly rebuilt (so i was told, ebay) bottom end from an 86 Z on there. Impeller and seal were fine. Not loosing antifreeze and tanni fluid was fine. Do you think maybe it was just time or is something else that i might not have stated here be wrong. Thanks

Nate

MTS
12-10-2007, 10:05 PM
I did run it several times, pretty hard for like 6 hour days at a time. Although, I didnt buy it with a freshly rebuilt top end. I tried to save the piston but pullling the rings out messed up the grooves pretty bad. Didnt notice the overheat light come on and just put a newly rebuilt (so i was told, ebay) bottom end from an 86 Z on there. Impeller and seal were fine. Not loosing antifreeze and tanni fluid was fine. Do you think maybe it was just time or is something else that i might not have stated here be wrong. Thanks

Nate

Jetted to lean, i would be it was the exaust side of the piston crown that melted?...how do the main bearings feel? give the end of the crank a jiggle ( :lol: ) see if its loose, personally, after a meltdown like that, i like to do the Whole 9, its only an extra 200$ for fresh mains, rod, Pin bearings, and you know its good, If seen lots of the big ends/bearings in the rod that look fine that Crap out on your new top end,, :beer

Tryzeedudeman
12-10-2007, 11:31 PM
it was on the exhaust side and the plug was a dry grey color. I've looked into that and realize it was running lean, just didnt really think it could fry it like that. But the bottom end i bought for $350.00 should be next to new(less than 20hrs). Thats what i was told and im gonna take a shot. Had to have that other gear and ahopefully a newly built motor at the same time. Thanks though, i have also heard of the main bearings going out and spitting shrabnel into the cylinder, what a waste that must be!!

MTS
12-10-2007, 11:37 PM
it was on the exhaust side and the plug was a dry grey color. I've looked into that and realize it was running lean, just didnt really think it could fry it like that. But the bottom end i bought for $350.00 should be next to new(less than 20hrs). Thats what i was told and im gonna take a shot. Had to have that other gear and ahopefully a newly built motor at the same time. Thanks though, i have also heard of the main bearings going out and spitting shrabnel into the cylinder, what a waste that must be!!
Well its fairly easy to check your crank seals for airleaks, couple of plugs and a shrader valve,, and some soap will tell you right quit whats going on. Not to badmouth ebay, but iv gotten alot of "fresh rebuilt" bottem ends, that are plain out crap, I go though it all when i build a motor,to me its not worth wasting 400$ on a 20$ seal....IMO...:beer

Tryzeedudeman
12-11-2007, 04:08 AM
i'd like to be that particular but lack of knowledge and money at the time makes it hard to get out with my brothers and friends and ride!!