PDA

View Full Version : 200x headlamp question/s

riverrat
12-09-2007, 11:27 PM
First off, is there a brighter aftermarket bulb that I can put in there?
Also, how many watts is the original?
If I can't get an aftermarket, I want to make my own bulb from led's, but I need to know the max watts I can put up there.

I know there was a conversation about this before, that someone wanted to add another lamp, but the stator wouldn't be able to take it.

IMO the stock lamp is just not bright enough, discovered that last night.

RapidRick
12-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Stock is 35 I believe. I've seen a aftermarket dual light setup that runs two 35 but the bulbs are the newer high efficient xenons I think. Back in the day I ran a 100W Cibie Big Oscar on my 500X. :D Ricky Stator for the new parts.

Have you thought about a 350X stock setup? :confused:

storm_impulse
12-10-2007, 12:23 AM
i just gutted the headlight hood and placed a foglight in there and fiberglassed the rest. halogen lighting is nice to have on a trike.

deathman53
12-10-2007, 01:00 AM
I had a 100w halogen h4 in my 86 200x headlight, it was BRIGHT.

riverrat
12-10-2007, 10:28 AM
I had a 100w halogen h4 in my 86 200x headlight, it was BRIGHT.

Do you know if you were overloading the stator?

The Goat
12-10-2007, 12:12 PM
i have a very stupid question...how the hell do you get the plug to screw back on to the headlight, i can't be the only idiot to have trouble with this after changing bulbs?

riverrat
12-10-2007, 07:11 PM
i have a very stupid question...how the hell do you get the plug to screw back on to the headlight, i can't be the only idiot to have trouble with this after changing bulbs?

Screw? what screw?
Mine just plugs in.

So I go to a NAPA parts dealer, and ask if I can get any high powered headlamps for this thing. He looks up the number, can't find anything. Then he calls the supplier, and he says, you can only get those from the manufacture.

I then ask him, maybe I can retro fit a modern bulb in there, let me see a 9003 bulb (cause I know all the 9000 series bulbs are plug in like the one I am holding). He picks one off the rack, and it's a 9003, and we start looking at it, low and behold it's exactly the same mount. LMAO. So I ordered a super bright blue tint one (9003sb from GE) which draws the same wattage, and is at least twice as bright. $18.99+tax, plugs right in. High and low beams work and all.

But I still want to know if I can go brighter, I am starting to investagate, and I am finding 120watt bulbs, but I am worried the trikes charging system, and wires will not be able to handle it.

I am also thinking of making my own L.E.D. bulbs, that might be even brighter. I have a line on some very bright bulbs, and they draw next to nothing.

tyman
12-10-2007, 10:02 PM
I've never seen an LED that would be capable of being a headlight. They would use them in high-class cars if they could be used. They just aren't long range. Not to mention expensive.

Don't quote me on this, but i think the 200x stator is capable of around 60 or 70 watts, however I don't have proof to back this up.

riverrat
12-11-2007, 10:11 AM
I've never seen an LED that would be capable of being a headlight. They would use them in high-class cars if they could be used. They just aren't long range. Not to mention expensive.

Don't quote me on this, but i think the 200x stator is capable of around 60 or 70 watts, however I don't have proof to back this up.

Check this link out, scroll down a bit:
http://superlumination.com/headlights.htm

I am wondering what LED's they are using, as I have a line on some super bright LED's, 256,000mcd. What I don't know is what the light output of a halogen is, in mcd's. I am not even sure what a mcd is, but it is the measure of light output.

The article in the link I just gave states that these LED headlights are not as powerful as halogens.

Also your claim of 60-70 watts confuses me, as to how someone else in this thread claimed to use 100watt bulbs, unless he just wasn't getting the full output, and just stressing out his stator. Something I do not want to do.
350x's have 2 headlamps, so I am wondering if their stator has more output to compensate.