PDA

View Full Version : >$25 oil filter.. Where can I get one?

KC
12-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Hey guys!

I need to change the oil in the old 84 YTM 200 again... I hate bending over at my local dealership for a $25 genuine Yamaha oil filter. Any thoughts on where I can get one for less?

Next question: I used synthetic oil (royal purple) last oil change, and now it is smoking a little black when you hit the throttle hard, and also seems to be fouling plugs more often... Coincidence? Or maybe I just need new rings...

pickleweasel_00
12-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Yeah, i think they charge me around $12-$15 :( I've seen them in the dennis kirk catalog before, might try

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cmn/prodlist.jsp;jsessionid=SC44S5KYMMM51LA0WTISM4VMDK 0OWIV0?store=Main&catId=110&leafCatId=11003&np=&mmyId=6281

They range from around $13-$6.65 for different brands. If the link doesn't work for any reason go to www.denniskirk.com, click on the engine category for off road products and search around in there

As for oil, I always use the Yamalube 20W-40, not sure how the synthetics are in these, but the oil is used for the engine as well as the transmission and clutches so you want something formulated for that.

Danold
12-08-2007, 11:58 PM
if its black smoke that usually means the mixture is too rich. also if its popping usually means a rich setting. you need to take apart your carb and clean it very well because it sounds like it is just dirty