PDA

View Full Version : fender repair

ATCT
12-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Have you guys ever seen/tried this? It looks interesting.

For cracks.
http://www.urethanesupply.com/storeatv.php

Painting.
http://www.urethanesupply.com/atvpainting.php

Has anyone ever gone the painting route? I mean, they look pretty darn good. I just wonder about the durability. Do the steps they give and the flex coat add greater chances of withstanding stress?

Just kind of curious. I'm really not a big fan of the Maier Tecate rear fenders and I can't even get a front one in red, so it looks like I'm gonna have to go the restoration route unless I can find some new OEMs somewhere. (yeah, good luck)

SYKO
12-06-2007, 07:41 PM
the paint....even when done correctly like that will still not take a hit....go look at any new car front or rear bumpers, even with the correct paints and done correctly even from the factory paint will bust off if the bumper is flexed to much... as for the plastic welder, Ive seen those things bring back the dead!

Erics350x
12-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Several paint MFG's make a urethane additive for paint the flexible bumpers on newer cars that works great to keep the paint from cracking and chipping from flexing. We used to use it when we painted the front bumpers on 85-93 Mustang GT's. But a Syko said none will take a big hit.

300rman
12-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Several paint MFG's make a urethane additive for paint the flexible bumpers on newer cars that works great to keep the paint from cracking and chipping from flexing. We used to use it when we painted the front bumpers on 85-93 Mustang GT's. But a Syko said none will take a big hit.

also remember, a car bumper doesnt flex a whole lot. its supported in a housand different places behind it.

i painted my fenders using a similar technique as they describe. it holds up Decently, but for all the flex and hits the fenders get, it wont last.
I would just hit them with a scuff pad and use krylon fusion (can easily be touched up later)

so SYKO, those plastic welders work wonders ay?