PDA

View Full Version : question about excessive play in my gear shifter

runaway
12-06-2007, 01:49 AM
hello
i have a 185s and my gear shift has alot of up and down move ment is this normal. i thought that the shift pattern should be close. i would say that it has about a inch or so movement before it hits the gear, wat is wrong?

RedRider_AK
12-06-2007, 02:00 AM
Check to make sure the shifter is actually bolted down well to the shift shaft. All auto-clutch machines have a long throw on the shifter because they have to engage a clutch and shift with the same motion.

BigReds Forever
12-06-2007, 03:02 AM
yep, they move alot more than if your used to say, a dirtbike or something similar. Also, check to make sure the clutch is adjusted right, to loose will give you seamingling excessive play.

Bryan Raffa
12-06-2007, 09:59 AM
could be one of the springs on the shift shaft bad?

keister
12-06-2007, 02:26 PM
My 85 Big Red has a ton of play. I just tighten the bolt that clamps the shifter to the shaft periodically.
The shaft splines do get worn over time causing some play.
I have been keeping an eye on it for several years now. I keep saying, "one of these days that is going to strip, and I will have to replace the shaft." I will probably still be saying that in another 5 years.

Dirtcrasher
12-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Most shifter return springs sandwich around a pin that threads into the case. On the 250SX motors they come loose and even snap. It is on the outer case and not in the center case so it's easy to check before you get stranded someday.

Bryan Raffa
12-06-2007, 08:42 PM
dirtcrasher,,isn't there a few springs on that shaft?

runaway
12-07-2007, 02:18 AM
hello
i know the spring he is talking about,it is twisted around a couple times and the ends fit on a notch on the gear shaft. so i will have to order a new one can any one tell me some other place besides bike bandit, i dont care for them.

The Goat
12-07-2007, 03:14 AM
your local dealer can likely get them....after shipping it will prolly cost you about the same.

Dirtcrasher
12-07-2007, 08:13 PM
MY local dealer is 40% higher than Service Honda so I avoid him BIG TIME!!

Anyhoot, yes that is the spring. But, it is one super strong spring and I've never had to replace one. Take that thing apart and check it out before you order anything....

runaway
12-07-2007, 08:55 PM
hello
dirt crasher, its not broke when i got the bike it was stuck in 3rd gear. the bolt that held the shift star on the shift drum was bent this in turn would not allow the shift prong to hit the shift star when i put it back together i noticed that the spring would slip off its holding spot so i think it s just wore out and has lost its tension.

greenhuman
12-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Adjust your clutch properly at the clutch cover. When the adjustment is out, you do get excessive free play in the shifter.