PDA

View Full Version : What to look for? 200x

TheFamer
12-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Hey Hey-

So i might have the chance to score a 86 200x for cheap. :w00t: where should i look for abuse or whatever. i am thinking of bringing my compression tester to make sure its a solid engine. what should the pressure be at?

Thanks any comments will help me further inspecting this beast!

RedRider_AK
12-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Compression will probably be around 140 for a used stock motor. Accept no less than 120.

Check the chain tensioning mechanism. Check to see if the chain tension is correct. Ask the owner if it's ever slipped the chain and wrapped it around the front sprocket, that leads to QUICK transmission failure.

Threes company
12-05-2007, 07:38 PM
I have an 86 200x myself. Check out the rear axle! These are tough to come by and are not interchangeable with the 83-85 200Xs. Put the rear of the bike up on a milk crate or something and slip the bike into first gera while idling. You will see right away if it is bent. (Careful, make sure the bike is stable) Also check the rear axle bearings. If you can't start the bike at least spin the wheels while its in the air. Anther area to look at is the kick starter, these are known to strip out on well worn Xs. Check both disc brakes, these can be frozen up. Inside the tank for rust....... underneath the tank for previous repairs. Leaking fork seals, look under boots. Blown rear shock. Eyeball the frame for cracks or breaks. If any problems are found just use it to your advantage to bring the seller down........ just remember that the 86 and 87 200Xs are their own beast in a lot of ways compared to the earlier Xs. Some parts are tough to find. Good luck............ But as far as 3 Wheelers go........ my 86 is my favorite and regular ride. Good luck. :beer

BigReds Forever
12-05-2007, 07:52 PM
look for extremely large, long grab bars which can lead to subframe warpage! (kinda obvious)... Seriously though... bent forks, cracked welds, bad bearings in the rear, swingarm, and steering stem, and all the previously mentioned stuff. Good luck!

super90
12-05-2007, 08:06 PM
I dont see why bearings are such a big deal. Look for the bad stuff like the frame being rusted out, rust in the tank, shifts through all gears, kicker dosent skip and no cracked cases.

TheFamer
12-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Alright thanks guys! i must be super lucky! my lady said she will buy it for me as a Christmas gift. and i bet yours tells you no more trikes in the yard!!

the man only wanted 250 for it. it looks to be in good condition for that price at least. he has owned it for 5 years. it last ran last summer. so its been sitting.

so im thinking new air filter, clean carb, grease everything, change oil, wash and clean it up and it will be ready for the trails!

RedRider_AK
12-05-2007, 08:42 PM
If you ever need any parts (frame, swingarm, gas tank, forks, triples) I have a complete 87 200X I'm parting out for cheap.

TheFamer
12-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Hey well i called him and im going tomorrow to pick it up! but the sad news is that shes not a 86. shes a 85. which is good i guess since there will be more parts out there to pick from. but the guy is letting it go for 200 dollars! it cant be bad deal. hes said hes owned the bike for 5 years and been around it for 7. he said it hasn't really been used, maybe 1 of those 7 years it saw a couple trails. so it shouldn't be abused.

i will get it tomorrow and check it out and get some pictures of it!! ROCK ON! IT WILL BE MY FIRST 200X!!! im excited about having rear suspension!

Threes company
12-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Yeah the 83 to 85 X's are definitely easier to find parts for. Hey good luck man..... 200 sounds pretty good even if its a bit rough. :beer

TheFamer
12-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Update!

So after a 2 hour drive i got to the guys house. he had already pulled it out of the garage. the tires were flat, he said they hold air for a couple days. the rear plastic is warped kinda, and someone had made their own mud flaps on it. besides that everything is there, expect the handle bar in the back.

So for 200 dollars it became mine! i got it home started working on it right away. drained the oil and found a little metal.. so thats always fun to find out about, then i was shocked to find a new Uni air filter, but i cleaned it and re oiled it. i took the carb off and found green stuff in it. it has a 40 pilot and a 105 main i think. after that i pulled the gas tank and it was real dirt on the out side and the paint is starting to fade in places. also it sounded very dirty inside, so i am in the process of getting all that crap out and cleaning the inside. the front forks seals are worn out, leaking fluid in the fork boots.

so its going to be a good project. i need to get a adapter for my compression tester so i can measure that. but hopefully today i will get her fired up and running.

but someone has made their own auto cam chain tensioner. its not the stock bolt in there. so i wonder if its operating correctly.

thanks for checking out my ride. i will leave ya with a few pictures of what she looks like as of now.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6111/200xla6.th.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/986/my200xey4.th.jpg

oldskool83
12-10-2007, 02:59 PM
thats an 85

TheFamer
12-10-2007, 03:01 PM
i know, read my earlier post, the guy thought it was a 86 but later he went and checked and it is a 85. ohh well..

Dirtcrasher
12-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Hey, it's a fun trike nonetheless, but an 86/87 is where it's at!!

Those 85's are tempermental, handle ok and if the kicker fails it's a real PITA to fix. I had one and I hated it, got an 86 and fell in love......

TheFamer
01-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Update:
Hey so after one month, its sat in my garage, all new bearings, new carb kit, all new brakes, i got a full gasket kit for it, replaced most of the o-rings. had to bash out the darn sliders on the caliper so it wouldn't bend my new rear disc. i broke my kick starter gears and got some new ones in there, they work great!

but it ran!!!!! well sort of, it ran for a couple minutes today, and i realized i need to use some gasket maker with my new gasket for the right ride cover, it was leaking oil!!! and i thought i fixed my gas tank, but it still leaks from a couple spots. so i have to use a dirt bike gas tank for now.

man i just wish everything worked like i wanted it to, i could be riding right now instead of sitting on the computer.

ATCT
01-10-2008, 04:49 PM
There's a bunch of 200X tanks on eBay at the moment if you can get yours to stop leaking. Coating the inside should do the trick, however.

steven 250sx
01-10-2008, 04:51 PM
keep working at it and do everything right its a honda it'll go again lol

ebecme01
01-22-2008, 10:14 PM
no matter how much crap you go through to get it perfect, you darn near stole that trike.

drhatc200
01-22-2008, 10:30 PM
im redoing motor on mine right now. was smoking when i took it off cylinder looks good so might just be able to get by with just rings im hoping going to take to honda shop tomarrow and see how much its wore.thay told me today long as it wasnt .005 or more i could just do rings and be ok